Found this on craigslist dana 44 rear ?

jesse3638

Hooked
It's missing an axleshaft and looks belt on that end. Being that is from a Sahara I'd assume it's what you're running now. Only difference may be gearing. 3.21 or 3.73. It'd have to match what you're running now. Depending on what you'd want it for I'd probably pass

Sent from my 2PYB2 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Seahawkfan

Hooked
It's missing an axleshaft and looks belt on that end. Being that is from a Sahara I'd assume it's what you're running now. Only difference may be gearing. 3.21 or 3.73. It'd have to match what you're running now. Depending on what you'd want it for I'd probably pass

Is there a difference in rear axles (Sport, Sahara) to a Rubicon other than gears and locker?

jesse3638

Hooked
The Rubicon also used 2 different length axle shafts where as the sport and Sahara use the same. Other than things already mentioned I don't think there is any advantage of running a Rubicon rear axle over a sport or Sahara axle strength wise. If you could find a pair of Rubicon axles with 4.10's and functional lockers that could be an upgrade.

I think the posting is wrong cause it was drums and not disks brakes? 200.00 for a dana 44 that I can build on the side and keep my stock in the jeep till its ready. Plus easier to work on when it's not under the jeep.

jesse3638

Hooked
I think the posting is wrong cause it was drums and not disks brakes? 200.00 for a dana 44 that I can build on the side and keep my stock in the jeep till its ready. Plus easier to work on when it's not under the jeep.
No it looks correct. It's missing the brake rotors. What you're seeing is the parking brake shoes that press against the inside of the rotors.

Seahawkfan

Hooked

I believe that is for parking brake.

Ok I know that type of setup disc for driving brakes and drum for parking brake. I didn't know that was how the rear brakes where in the jeep. But for 200.00 really seems work it for a project.

"is from my car but after breaking the wheel, I decided not to fix it, only to buy a better model from the rubicon jeep, because I spend a lot of time in moab utah, this is the sahara" thats all he really knows about it. I plan building a 35 spline axle.

Seahawkfan

Hooked
The Rubicon also used 2 different length axle shafts where as the sport and Sahara use the same. Other than things already mentioned I don't think there is any advantage of running a Rubicon rear axle over a sport or Sahara axle strength wise. If you could find a pair of Rubicon axles with 4.10's and functional lockers that could be an upgrade.

How would I know the difference short of pulling the shafts? My build sheet says (Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Rear Axle). Sorry for the highjack OP. But to chime in I would pass and keep looking for something that's not damaged already.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Ok I know that type of setup disc for driving brakes and drum for parking brake. I didn't know that was how the rear brakes where in the jeep. But for 200.00 really seems work it for a project.

Don’t buy it, it looks like a piece of shit. The wheel end looks all messed up. I would rather wait till one comes up that isn’t damaged for a little bit more, this guy is already asking for too much.

jesse3638

Hooked
How would I know the difference short of pulling the shafts? My build sheet says (Next Gen. Dana 44 HD Rear Axle). Sorry for the highjack OP. But to chime in I would pass and keep looking for something that's not damaged already.
I believe the different length shafts are due to the locker in the Rubicon rear axle. I could be wrong hopefully someone else can add more info.

Don’t buy it, it looks like a piece of shit. The wheel end looks all messed up. I would rather wait till one comes up that isn’t damaged for a little bit more, this guy is already asking for too much.

Yea well axles don't really fall off jeeps in Chicago like it does in other states.

norcal-s

The rubicon axle shafts are 32 spline vs. 30 spline for the sport/sahara, and different lengths as noted earlier. I'm pretty sure the housing itself is different and you can't swap carriers/lockers between a rubicon and sport axle housing, the bearings are a different size I believe.

Top Bottom