EMMA : 1969 Kaiser Jeepster Commando C101

Umm, makes me think something is going on with your distributor. Maybe a timing issue or it needs new points.

I tossed my points distributor and installed the omix electronic state and I can tell you it cleared up 99% of my stalling/idle issues. The rest was floats do fine tuning the carb.

Okay, I was going to check timing next. Regarding the Omix distributor, was it just plug and play for you? I remember you mentioning something about this before but now I'm really interested. :cool:

Okay, I was going to check timing next. Regarding the Omix distributor, was it just plug and play for you? I remember you mentioning something about this before but now I'm really interested. :cool:

Basically, just drop it in, wire it to the coil, find top dead center and time it.

Very simple but made a big difference. It was cost effective for me. My vacuum advance chamber was frozen, it was at least $100 to order a new one. I picked up the omix distributor with new vaccum chamber on it for $150 on Amazon.

Basically, just drop it in, wire it to the coil, find top dead center and time it.

Very simple but made a big difference. It was cost effective for me. My vacuum advance chamber was frozen, it was at least $100 to order a new one. I picked up the omix distributor with new vaccum chamber on it for $150 on Amazon.

Well damn! I guess I need to look into this and see if they have something for the Dauntless.

Bummer. Just looked and while this Omix-Ada distributor works with just about every Willys and AMC motor from 41-71 including the 67 Commando, it isn't made for the Dauntless V6 which of course is a Buick motor. :grayno:

Bummer. Just looked and while this Omix-Ada distributor works with just about every Willys and AMC motor from 41-71 including the 67 Commando, it isn't made for the Dauntless V6 which of course is a Buick motor. :grayno:

Ok, there company's that make internal conversion kits of it's something you are interested in.

I would check out the advance and see if the arms moving, that's a good starting point.

Ok, there company's that make internal conversion kits of it's something you are interested in.

Yeah, definitely interested and would appreciate any info you might have for them. Thanks!

I would check out the advance and see if the arms moving, that's a good starting point.

Thanks. This is definitely where I start.

Cool, thanks! I started looking at the PerTronix Ignitor II and saw one person saying how it didn't fit well with a Buick 350. From what I understand, the 225 is essentially the same thing only without 2 cylinders. Needless to say, I didn't know if this would be an issue but, I might be willing to give it a try anyway.

EDIT: might just go with the regular PerTronix. Again, thanks for the info.

Well, today was a bust. Check my timing and it was dead on at 5 deg at 650 rpm.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462844023.684735.jpg

Went down to Summit and picked up a Pertronix 1162A kit and while it should have been exactly what I needed, Emma apparently has a different Delco distributor. From the look of things, It's a Delco Remy that you'd normally find on a V8 like an AMC 360 but the cap is clearly for a 6-cyl. The main issue is that the rotor set up is totally different.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462844264.416355.jpg

What's underneath the rotor.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462844301.505869.jpg

Won't be able to install the ignition adapter plate onto the breaker plate with this setup.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462844423.638237.jpg

The Pertronix kit I think I need is a 1181 which is for Delco Remy kit. Guess I'll be going back to Summit.

Well, today was a bust. Check my timing and it was dead on at 5 deg at 650 rpm.
View attachment 202658

Went down to Summit and picked up a Pertronix 1162A kit and while it should have been exactly what I needed, Emma apparently has a different Delco distributor. From the look of things, It's a Delco Remy that you'd normally find on a V8 like an AMC 360 but the cap is clearly for a 6-cyl. The main issue is that the rotor set up is totally different.
View attachment 202659

What's underneath the rotor.
View attachment 202662

Won't be able to install the ignition adapter plate onto the breaker plate with this setup.
View attachment 202665

The Pertronix kit I think I need is a 1181 which is for Delco Remy kit. Guess I'll be going back to Summit.

They sure don't make'em like they used to. I miss the good old days.

Would love to work on Emma...

Well summits close anyway! I also have to it a part 3 times before it's the right one.

That's normal on an old jeep!

They sure don't make'em like they used to. I miss the good old days.

Would love to work on Emma...

Sadly, no they don't and I really think you would enjoy working on Emma. It's like therapy for me :crazyeyes:

Well summits close anyway! I also have to it a part 3 times before it's the right one.

That's normal on an old jeep!

LOL!! Ain't that the damn truth!!

Sadly, no they don't and I really think you would enjoy working on Emma. It's like therapy for me :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Ain't that the damn truth!!

Were you able to test the vacuum advance?

Fwiw

On my FC I have to remove the Vac line to the vac advance to check the timing. It'll show more timing than what's really there if it's connected.

I did and they were a bit loose and tightening them up did help. Thanks. However, I still had a hard shift into reverse and was able to isolate the problem to the idle speed being too high. After bringing it down, it shifts much better.

The biggest problem I have right now is that from a complete stop, if I step on the gas hard, the motor quits. In park and no load, I can step on the gas hard and it'll just rev fine. While driving, even at a crawl, if I step on the gas hard, it'll accelerate just fine. If I slowly accelerate from a stop, no problem - it only cuts out when in gear and when I give it sudden heavier acceleration. My initial thought is that it might be a fuel pump regulator issue being that I'm running an electrical pump - maybe flooding the motor. But I would think I'd see this problem in more conditions than just from a complete stop.

Did the issue start after you lowered the idle speed? I was going to suggest raising the idle speed 100rpm or so and rechecking it to see if problem still occurs. It almost sounds like too little fuel, when you punch it from a stop, the open throttle leans it out and it stalls. You could richen the idle mixture too and see if that changes the issue. I'm just thinking if the issue only occurs when punching it from idle in gear (with a load), it could be in the idle circuit. Also does it only occur on hills, like a float issue? Or even a flat grade?

Did the issue start after you lowered the idle speed? I was going to suggest raising the idle speed 100rpm or so and rechecking it to see if problem still occurs. It almost sounds like too little fuel, when you punch it from a stop, the open throttle leans it out and it stalls. You could richen the idle mixture too and see if that changes the issue. I'm just thinking if the issue only occurs when punching it from idle in gear (with a load), it could be in the idle circuit. Also does it only occur on hills, like a float issue? Or even a flat grade?

Good thoughts, I was assuming since it was a new carb it should be close.

Fwiw

On my FC I have to remove the Vac line to the vac advance to check the timing. It'll show more timing than what's really there if it's connected.

Good words. A lot of the advances are like that.

Fwiw

No, I don't have a testing pump but I think I'll pick one up today while I'm out and about. I guess I just got eager to switch out the points.

As Chris pointed out, the problem was always there and I had originally assumed it was an accelerator pump problem. I installed a new carb and that helped all kinds of things but the killing of the motor when stepping on the gas hard from a complete stop is still there. This problem occurs on flat ground. Could still be a fuel issue but so far, it doesn't seem like it. Just trying to address one thing at a time so that I know what fixes it :)

Top Bottom