Diff cover bolt stripped

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Was doing routine maint, everything came off without issue but when putting my rear diff cover back on one of the bolts just was spinning. Pulled it and found some thread wound in its threads, so its definitely stripped. No idea how it happened, but here we are.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
Same thing happened to me when I was installing my CRC link. The holes have about another half inch or so of threads beyond the stock bolt length. Go get a couple different lengths which are longer than stock. Find out which will give you the most bite and use it. I actually stacked 2-3 washers so I could get the most. It's been solid for 5 years.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

Same thing happened to me when I was installing my CRC link. The holes have about another half inch or so of threads beyond the stock bolt length. Go get a couple different length. Lots which are longer than stock. Find out which will give you the most bite and use it. I actually stacked 2-3 washers so I could get the most. It's been solid for 5 years.

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app
Nice. Protip.

Slimebones

Hate that feeling when a bolt strips! Best solution is a thread repair kit. Lot of people use helicoil kits which can be picked up at any auto parts store. I prefer a better repair kit known as Timeserts. Both require removal of the diff cover and enlarge the existing hole and tapping out to accept the insert. Do not know if there is enough meat in the diff housing at that location of the stripped bolt. Maybe some one could chime in here if they have done this repair. Is this a 5/16" X 18 bolt? Jack, I would be glad to help you with this if someone can confirm there is enough material around this hole to accept the larger hole required for this repair. By the way, I have the necessary kit available, so let me know.

WJCO

Meme King
I agree with the above mentioned as well. However, if it's above 9 o'clock or 3 oclock, you may even get by without it. Not ideal, but a good bead of rtv with the other bolts may hold just fine. Just keep an eye out for seepage or leakage.

Slimebones

I agree with the above mentioned as well. However, if it's above 9 o'clock or 3 oclock, you may even get by without it. Not ideal, but a good bead of rtv with the other bolts may hold just fine. Just keep an eye out for seepage or leakage.

Also, as Jesse mentioned there are probably threads beyond the stripped threads if you are using the stock bolt which would be a bit short if the new diff cover is thicker than the stock one, which I am sure it is. A bit longer bolt along with the sealant WJCO mentioned will most likely work, just remember the location next time around.

JMac79

Was doing routine maint, everything came off without issue but when putting my rear diff cover back on one of the bolts just was spinning. Pulled it and found some thread wound in its threads, so its definitely stripped. No idea how it happened, but here we are.

Suggestions?

I would use a heli-coil kit if you have enough wall thickness/depth. It is relatively easy to use. Just drill, tap and install helicoil. You can find kits online or at a parts store. You could try different hardware/sealant as well but for long term fix I would use a helicoil kit.

PATRIOTKJM

The thread insert kits work really well, it comes with a larger drill bit and tap, once you've drilled and tapped it you install the steel insert with Leo tires for that's it. Its similar to a helicopter but stronger and less messing around.

Top Bottom