Desert Tortoise

jesse3638

Hooked
Sucks it got hit. I've watched people hit full size semi retreads so a small semi-camoflauged animal doesn't stand a chance. I've come across them a few times while in the desert during spring or after a summer Thunder storm. They are so cool.

I would
Someone hit this poor desert tortoise just outside of town. Damn shame whoever hit it wasn't paying attention. Thankfully someone from the desert conservation society was driving by and will hopefully be able to get him some medical treatment. Hopefully he recovers, but he was pretty banged up.

View attachment 406120
View attachment 406121
I wouldn’t be surprised if the driver was paying attention…

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Well the Mojave desert tortoise has officially been listed as endangered. Let's see how that affects our ability to use public lands in the coming years. Here's an article from my local paper.

Mojave Desert Tortoise Listed as Endangered Species
I love how it lists climate change but the real reason is humans keep expanding and bringing in predators for the tortoise.

And lets be honest, this animal wasn't long for this world (even though its a dinosaur) when it pisses itself to death if you pick it up. Not a good defense.

AZVAJKU

Hooked
Desert tortoises are pretty cool. I had one as a pet when I was a kid. It appeared in our back yard one day, which was weird considering we had a 6-foot block wall around the yard. When it appeared it had a hole drilled through the rear ‘tail’ of its shell with a couple of inch string attached to a ping pong ball. 🤔

It would dig a hole and hibernate in the winter. We never knew where it hibernated, it would just disappear and then reappear in the summer. One summer it simply did not come out of hibernation. All I can think of is it tunneled out or died during hibernation.

Desert tortoises are pretty cool. I had one as a pet when I was a kid. It appeared in our back yard one day, which was weird considering we had a 6-foot block wall around the yard. When it appeared it had a hole drilled through the rear ‘tail’ of its shell with a couple of inch string attached to a ping pong ball. 🤔

It would dig a hole and hibernate in the winter. We never knew where it hibernated, it would just disappear and then reappear in the summer. One summer it simply did not come out of hibernation. All I can think of is it tunneled out or died during hibernation.
Yeah, that’s weird. Curious what the ping pong ball was all about.

NevadaJohnny

I would

I wouldn’t be surprised if the driver was paying attention…
Yea, I didn't see it happen, and I didn't see it till I was about ten yards away. Possible someone was driving too close to another vehicle and didn't have time to react. I can't imagine someone would've done it on purpose

jesse3638

Hooked
I love how it lists climate change but the real reason is humans keep expanding and bringing in predators for the tortoise.

And lets be honest, this animal wasn't long for this world (even though its a dinosaur) when it pisses itself to death if you pick it up. Not a good defense.
Yeah they don't mention the 100'000s of acres of habitat destroyed by the construction of "green" energy power plants (solar and wind farms).

Yeah they don't mention the 100'000s of acres of habitat destroyed by the construction of "green" energy power plants (solar and wind farms).
The huge population of free-ranging cattle has certainly made a difference. In arrid regions one only needs to look at two sides of a fence to see that the side with the cattle has hardly any plants remaining. Less plants means less food for creatures like the tortoise.

Bullwinckle

Hooked
Damn I hate seeing this. Love seeing desert tortoises out and about. Wish more people were more cautious and not an asshat like above link. 🤬

Top Bottom