DANA Ultimate UD60 TORTURE TESTED & PROVEN on the JL / JT Experience

Samuelh3

Caught the Bug
LOL - definitely made for a good show but I don't think Lonnie was too happy about it :crazyeyes:

Totally. He seriously bent the crap out of one of his sliders. He really had to give it the beans to get up that hill. Super fun to watch.

MericaMade

So I have been lurking at these axles and like what I am reading and seeing. The one thing I did not see on their site was a 5.13 gear option. Is that a added option?

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
So I have been lurking at these axles and like what I am reading and seeing. The one thing I did not see on their site was a 5.13 gear option. Is that a added option?

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app

5.13 is not an option. But really, if you’re wanting to run a UD60, you’re most likely wanting to run 40” tires. The right ratio for that IS 5.38.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

JacktheJL

So that it isn't missed, there was a hell of a lot of tire spin and big bouncing that should have broken axles on our latest video. ALL of the UD60's held up great!

Did any of you guys weld the axle tubes? I just got a set of UD60s for my JL and everyone keeps telling me I need to weld the axle tubes so as not to spin one ASAP.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Did any of you guys weld the axle tubes? I just got a set of UD60s for my JL and everyone keeps telling me I need to weld the axle tubes so as not to spin one ASAP.

We did not. The tubes spinning was a problem in the past and has since been addressed. We did cut off all the brackets and had new EVO ones welded on thought. Assuming you're keeping the brackets that came with your axles, it would be a good idea to wrap the corners.

JacktheJL

We did not. The tubes spinning was a problem in the past and has since been addressed. We did cut off all the brackets and had new EVO ones welded on thought. Assuming you're keeping the brackets that came with your axles, it would be a good idea to wrap the corners.

Right on, glad to hear they worked out a lot of the issues at least. The videos were awesome and you guys really put those UD60s to the test! I ended up doing the EVO long arm and bolt-on coilovers at the same time as the UD60s after watching your YouTube and I am loving the setup now (coming from a Rock Krawler 2.5” that left some to be desired)!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Right on, glad to hear they worked out a lot of the issues at least. The videos were awesome and you guys really put those UD60s to the test! I ended up doing the EVO long arm and bolt-on coilovers at the same time as the UD60s after watching your YouTube and I am loving the setup now (coming from a Rock Krawler 2.5” that left some to be desired)!

Awesome! So glad you enjoy our videos and that I could be of help to you. I think you'll really like your new setup :thumb:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Are the E-lockers holding up like you expected?

You know, they are and much to my surprise. Back in the day, when we first got Moby, we went through 3 factory e-lockers before our first year of owning him was up. I was not a fan but I’m really impressed with these. They are a HUGE improvement over the constant leaking ARBs that we have on our other Jeeps.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
To emphasize the point, I LOVE not hearing the constant BRRRR, BRRRRR,BRRRR [emoji849]

MericaMade

To emphasize the point, I LOVE not hearing the constant BRRRR, BRRRRR,BRRRR [emoji849]

Lol, thats good to hear you are still happy with the UDs and they holding up to your expectations. Would you perfer ARB over the E locker? And with your experience can you feel a engagement delay with the E locker at all?

Sent from my SM-G996U using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Lol, thats good to hear you are still happy with the UDs and they holding up to your expectations. Would you perfer ARB over the E locker? And with your experience can you feel a engagement delay with the E locker at all?

I’ve been a big fan of ARB for a very long time and mainly for how strong they are and for how quick they engage and disengage. However, the o-ring leaks I’ve been having over the past few years have really been annoying, especially being they’re so hard to fix on something like a PR80. I won’t lie, I had my doubts going with e-lockers on the UD60s but now I’m really happy we went with them. Maybe it’s because they’re on 60s but the ones I have been working great and now I wish I had gotten them on my other axles.

MericaMade

I’ve been a big fan of ARB for a very long time and mainly for how strong they are and for how quick they engage and disengage. However, the o-ring leaks I’ve been having over the past few years have really been annoying, especially being they’re so hard to fix on something like a PR80. I won’t lie, I had my doubts going with e-lockers on the UD60s but now I’m really happy we went with them. Maybe it’s because they’re on 60s but the ones I have been working great and now I wish I had gotten them on my other axles.

Thanks Eddie, I appreciate the feedback.

JKbrick

This is exactly why I kept my factory e-locker when I purchased the front PR44 housing recently. They weren’t broken and always work

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug

I totally agree Eddie! I was wary of e-lockers also when I got my Prorock 60s but wish I would have gotten them. I am sick and tired of air leaks also. I replaced the two o-rings in the back ARB and it is marginally better but still leaks.

JKbrick

I totally agree Eddie! I was wary of e-lockers also when I got my Prorock 60s but wish I would have gotten them. I am sick and tired of air leaks also. I replaced the two o-rings in the back ARB and it is marginally better but still leaks.

Ric (19yj94) got some type of air locker that doesn’t have an o ring. The guy that did our gears has been with Dana for over 20 years and helped design the gears for the JK. He really likes the design of Ric’s lockers

MericaMade

Is the E-locker in the UD the new 4 pin design or older 2 pin?

Anyone know the answer? I found one post that someone said they believe the UD60 are still using the 2 pin system. I found another post saying the new 4 pin is stronger and locks faster staying engage in forward and reverse but nothing confirming what the UD60 uses?

Last edited:
Top Bottom