Colorado - 2013 Plan

supra_launch21v

We are going to be covering a LOT of territory. Basically from Telluride to Idaho Springs over the week. It is not uncommon to air up twice a day. We will be driving about 1000 miles on hard road throughout the week. What I recommend doing is buying a PowerTank fixed regulator (cheaper and less to go wrong), PowerTank Safety Handle, Powertank two or three strap bracket, a locking air chuck, AND invest in an AIRGAS CO2 exchange tank. Buy the bottle for $120.00, then you exchange them at any Airgas Supply for $20.00. They are all over the place in Colorado. I can air up 4 tires in about 16 minutes (easily). You just can't do that with compressors, you are looking at 40 minutes. I have a twin compressor and tank in the Jeep as well for backup. With 35" tires you can pretty much make it the whole week. With 37" tires, not so much. You need to exchange. I am actually going to go from a 10 pound tank to a 15 pound tank. With the 15 pound tank and the twin Viair compressors and 3 gallon tank, I can probably make the whole week. CO2 is really the only way to go for this type of trip. I welded up a bracket to vertically mount the tank in the Jeep. It mounts to the underside lip of the tub (where the hardtop sits) and it bolted to the floor. It is really solid. I also have a safety lanyard attached to the roll-bar. You don't want that tank flying around in an accident. I have a hose with a cheap regulator on it to control pressure should I want to use air tools. Anyone who wants to buy a used Smittybilt CO2 tank system, I have one. It broke after 3 uses. All the gauges and crap on the fancy regulators just aren't necessary, IMO. Pressure stays up on CO2 tanks until it is almost out. Anyway just lift the tank up to feel how much is in the tank.

Was wondering how fast of a air up is needed if you want people to have CO2
Is there a few areas to fill a tank if needed?!

supra_launch21v

The only place to have CO2 tanks refilled (with your own tank and not doing an exchange) is Denver and Colorado Springs. However, there is a welding and fab shop in the Silverthorne area that does exchanges. $15.00

I was just wondering about co2
I myself love my PowerPlant and air up my 39's at about 12 minutes and our group usually everyone is done within 20 minute and back on the road. I have a few guys on my group going that use CO 2 and were asking in possible refill locations in the Breckenridge area

snopro

Banned
The only place to have CO2 tanks refilled (with your own tank and not doing an exchange) is Denver and Colorado Springs. However, there is a welding and fab shop in the Silverthorne area that does exchanges. $15.00

Good to know on the tank exchanges and such. Yeah my GF has timed me with a stopwatch with my PowerPlant and airing my 39's from 6 psi to 28 psi is right at 4 mins 15 secs per tire non stop. But she could be fibbing to me to make me feel better!!! I thought the PowerPlant even outputs more than twin systems.

Last edited:

supra_launch21v

Not sure about the fill rates of the PowerPlant. My 37's can go from 12psi to 30psi in 2 minutes with CO2. 37's take about 4 or 5 with the twin 450's and a charged up 3 gallon tank. I bought the Viair solution after the CO2 to supplement the CO2. I am going to move to a 15 pound CO2 tank this time (exchangeable). CO2 with the fixed regulator (Powertank) works really well. No freezing up even in the hot summer.

Let's talk next week about your schedule in CO. It would be great to meet up.

Good to know on the tank exchanges and such. Yeah my GF has timed me with a stopwatch with my PowerPlant and airing my 39's from 6 psi to 28 psi is right at 4 mins 15 secs per tire non stop. But she could be fibbing to me to make me feel better!!! I thought the PowerPlant even outputs more than twin systems.

snopro

Banned
Not sure about the fill rates of the PowerPlant. My 37's can go from 12psi to 30psi in 2 minutes with CO2. 37's take about 4 or 5 with the twin 450's and a charged up 3 gallon tank. I bought the Viair solution after the CO2 to supplement the CO2. I am going to move to a 15 pound CO2 tank this time (exchangeable). CO2 with the fixed regulator (Powertank) works really well. No freezing up even in the hot summer.

Let's talk next week about your schedule in CO. It would be great to meet up.

For sure sounds good have a good weekend and talk to you next week

RockIt Man

Thread hijack ^_^

You guys still going? Y'all have all the when/where/who figured out?

I'm planning on being in Colorado in July with the family. I'm scared to commit to a group ur as we will have our then 8 month old, and I foresee that slowing us down at times.

But if we're there at the same time, in the same areas, I'd love to meetup with some WAL folks!

Asgard

Coming into this late, but pretty excited to see it as I'm planning a 6,000+ road trip this summer from KY to CA back to KY and planned to spend a couple of days in CO on the return trip hitting some trails. Just so happens my trip is July 15-31 so we (myself and a friend from the UK who I'm showing the sights) might be able to get to CO in time join in if that'd be okay.

Subscribed

Last edited:

supra_launch21v

I sure remember the little kid thing. We should have our schedule figured out this week. I will be posting it soon.

Thread hijack ^_^

You guys still going? Y'all have all the when/where/who figured out?

I'm planning on being in Colorado in July with the family. I'm scared to commit to a group ur as we will have our then 8 month old, and I foresee that slowing us down at times.

But if we're there at the same time, in the same areas, I'd love to meetup with some WAL folks!

supra_launch21v

Sounds good to me. Keep tuned for the agenda coming up.

Coming into this late, but pretty excited to see it as I'm planning a 6,000+ road trip this summer from KY to CA back to KY and planned to spend a couple of days in CO on the return trip hitting some trails. Just so happens my trip if July 15-31 so we (myself and a friend from the UK who I'm showing the sights) might be able to get to CO in time join in if that'd be okay.

Subscribed

supra_launch21v

2013 Colorado Trip

Please PM me if you are interested in going. We will be booking hotels this week. If you are interested, please read through the pages here and let me know you are going. My wife will be reserving hotels this week. We will most likely start in the area of "Vail, CO". We will be looking for the towns with the best rates for rooms.

Wayne

Asgard

Please PM me if you are interested in going. We will be booking hotels this week. If you are interested, please read through the pages here and let me know you are going. My wife will be reserving hotels this week. We will most likely start in the area of "Vail, CO". We will be looking for the towns with the best rates for rooms.

Wayne

You inbox is full! Haha

Top Bottom