Color Choice...Sigh...

Do you find the Billet Silver to have a blue tint to it? From examining the metallic flakes, looks like a lot of blue sparkles. Or do you not notice it? (yeah, I know I am sounding a bit OCD...;) )

To be honest with you, I have never seen a bluish tint to my billet silver rig. In the late afternoon and early to mid morning it looks quite dark silver (like the old silverstone metallic) and a brighter silver when the sun is more intense! Hold one!

Just went out an looked and see no blue. Quite sunny now!

Maybe you are seeing a prismatic artifact from the flake!

I vote Billet Silver!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466260115.776175.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466260178.412160.jpgImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466260216.348412.jpg

When I bought mine I was originally going to get white but when I pulled billet silver up next to it I liked it a lot more.

My vote is Billet...I have never noticed any blue in the paint and my rims are very close in color (in better light)...but you can see I have a kind of color theme going here
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466264255.756408.jpg

My vote is Billet...I have never noticed any blue in the paint and my rims are very close in color (in better light)...but you can see I have a kind of color theme going here
View attachment 208827

You and the other poster above are not very helpful. Now you have me considering Billet Silver again.

I do think the contrast between the silver and everything being black is nice also.

Thanks for the pic, as as well going with the soft top.

Do you find the Billet Silver to have a blue tint to it? From examining the metallic flakes, looks like a lot of blue sparkles. Or do you not notice it? (yeah, I know I am sounding a bit OCD...;) )

It's just the heavy flake in the paint. While I've never seen a bluish tint to the whole jeep, when it's really clean and the sun is out you can see red, blue, green and silver flecks in the paint.

I went with Granite Crystal. It can have the appearance of different colors, depending on the sunlight.

And because of this...it will be difficult to paint match if you damage it. I'd go white, and why I got dune...solid colors are cake to match if you damage it. Personal preference of course.

And because of this...it will be difficult to paint match if you damage it. I'd go white, and why I got dune...solid colors are cake to match if you damage it. Personal preference of course.

x2 on this...my half assed body work and repainting as a result of pulling out a dent in my driveway came out way better because it was white. (...and because I ended up covering it with rock skins, but that's beside the point lol)

I haven't regretted my choice. About the only "negative" is what's already been mentioned. Granite does show some pinstripes but, not quite as bad as black. I get tons of compliments on the color. I know this didn't help one bit lol

20160522_211056.jpg
20160312_161626.jpg
20151017_201625.jpg
received_205377053141879 (1).jpg

I just saw you were thinking of a 2.5" lift for 33s. Here was my last rig with a JKS JSPEC 2" lift and 33" BFGs.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466360664.792387.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466360875.973506.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466361186.330212.jpg

While I feel it looked good, in my opinion the tires looked too small, even with only 2" of lift. Even though I wasn't planning to change tires until the 33s wore out, I ended up bumping up to 35s sooner than planned because I didn't like how the tires looked too small.

Here is the same vehicle, same lift, just with 35s. They filled the wheel wells out much better IMO.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466361395.588196.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466361518.481300.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466361729.705352.jpg

In contrast, the JK I had before that one I ran 33s with a TF leveling kit, and it looked proportioned to me.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466361885.465395.jpg

And here is my current rig with a TF leveling kit on it as well. As you can see, there is plenty of room for a 33" tire under there. I'll be either trimming the flares or possibly running aftermarket flares and 35s. With the full factory fenders, 33s would look great in my opinion.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466362049.115934.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466362161.687711.jpg

I hope these pics help you make an informed decision and avoid having regret for doing 33s after I installed the lift. IMO a 2.5" lift (which will more than likely yield more than 2.5" of lift) paired with a 33" tire will leave a lot of space between the tire and flare, giving it a roller skate look. If it were me, I'd save my money and do a leveling kit with the 33s and drive the crap out of it! Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466362093.955067.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1466362093.955067.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 120
Thanks for the details AAI. Really like your new front bumper! The Mojave sand with the soft top looks right also. You just need a Trunk Monkey. :thumb:

I hear what you are saying, and is a bit of a dilemma. Of course, when start going with 35/315s and higher lifts, many other things to consider. Starts adding up, and have a set budget so trying to keep all within. On the 2012 Rubicon 2 door, had a 2.5" AEV kit and 315s. Ran nice. But, sometimes I wish has just done a more simple lift and 33". The '12 JKR was manual with 4.1 gears. So if go 35s, with 3.73 gears wondering how will run even if use a programmer. Seems the .373 gears and 33" tires are the "sweet spot". Re-gearing, that is just not going to happen budget wise.

As in another thread, I often wonder if maybe better to just go with a Willy's package and leave it stock. Or just add BB spacer lift kit, throw on some 33" skinny tires and call it a day. Guess could just do that with the sport and add some other wheels though as well. Kind of not sure on the Willys if I really like the gloss black front and gloss black wheels - would prefer a more matte black.

With just a "Leveling kit" or "Budget Boost" kit, did you have any caster correction issues? Front axle still centered up, or did you need a new front adj. track bar to correct?

Last edited:
Billet silver. Love it, Really like the granite but was a much much longer wait when I ordered my 16' last year.

Attachments

• 1466385353896.jpg
    1466385353896.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 128
Billet silver. Love it, Really like the granite but was a much much longer wait when I ordered my 16' last year.

That pic is just about selling me on the Billet! Seems you don't see that much metallic flake when the sun is not shining directly on it. Over the last week or so, all the Billets have seen, at two lots have been during the day with the sun super bright, not a cloud in the sky - so probably why so "Metallic" looking, and seeing blue specks.

Well, tough choice but went ahead with the Granite Crystal. Last two vehicles, including a Jeep Rubicon, were Silver. Really hard choice.

Also, after much thought and consideration, just went also and ordered with the Willy Wheelers 24K package. Auto Transmission and Premium soft top, the only options. When I started looking at adding different tires, wheels, lift, accessories to the Sport - it was more than getting the Willy's package. AND the Willys comes with a few other things. And based on my budget, the Willys package was right at the top point. Plus, do not have to worry, all covered by warranty. Figure drive this for a couple of years, see how I like it, then down the road if want can add a lift kit/larger tires if so desire.

I am thinking the Granite color with all the blacked out wheels, bumpers, soft top, etc. will give a good look. Hope I was right. Kind of what tipped me over the edge, over a white or silver, was saw in a parking lot yesterday a Tank Green Willy's JKU. Thought the darker color looked nice with the Willy's package.

Now have to just wait it out hopefully no more than 4 weeks.....

no choices

when I bought my 2DR Sport, I thought when am I ever gonna need 4 doors, besides there was a huge cost diff between 2 and 4 doors, well it didn't take long before it became apparent that getting in and out of the back seat was almost impossible with the top on, so back I went just to see how much I could get on a trade, at least until I found out all the loud, fun colors were gone. Ill keep my orange crush thank you.:beer:

Congrats on the Granite! You will not be disappointed in the color. It really is a gorgeous color choice! As far as the leveling kit, nothing else was needed with either. Axles are still centered, everything is still good to go. I added brake line extensions to my last rig, but that was it. Congrats on the new rig!

Top Bottom