CB antenna mount and location suggestions?

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Just installed my cb radio, found a mount spot i liked, over head mount felt claustrophobic...

Anyways, now trying to decide the best place for the antenna and mount ideas. I'd ideally prefer not to have to drill anywhere. Does anyone have any quick disconnect ideas.

Also, do people prefer running the cb straight off the battery or do you run it through your switch system? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 15922465296021379218382981103467.jpg
    15922465296021379218382981103467.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 116

Bierpower

Hooked
I don't remember who it was (maybe Eddie) that had an issue with the CB draining the battery so they swapped it to a switched power source. I would not recommend direct battery power.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I've had mine wired up directly but as mentioned you just have to be diligent in remembering to turn it off. Additionally many companies make angle bracket type mounts for the rear or anywhere you want to put it. Just ensure you have a good ground. That was my problem and my SWR was way high. If needed you can buy copper grounding straps you can attach to the frame. Eddie had one in his Amazon listing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Looks good! Is that drilled into the console? Or the floor?

This is an off the shelf cb radio bracket. The console housing lifts off and there is a bolt that holds the inner plastic liner that the outer liner snaps to. You remove the bolt and wedge the bracket into that plastic housing and use that bolt to secure it. Nice clean setup. Theres quick release thumb screws to pull the cb out. I may never, my normal passenger is pretty small so the encroachment shouldn't bother her! I'd mention where i bought this but they may have pissed eddie off and don't want to point people their direction here. But it's the only one i could find that mounted where i wanted it... If you search jku cb radio mounts it'll be in the top 10 I'd bet.

I've had mine wired up directly but as mentioned you just have to be diligent in remembering to turn it off. Additionally many companies make angle bracket type mounts for the rear or anywhere you want to put it. Just ensure you have a good ground. That was my problem and my SWR was way high. If needed you can buy copper grounding straps you can attach to the frame. Eddie had one in his Amazon listing.

Thanks for the tips to everyone that chimed in. I should have a spare switch on my switch pro to run this! I know I'll need to tune the swr, hoping someone at the badlands can help in a few weeks if i get everything else set up. Also thanks for the ground strip recommendations, I'll check that out!

Do you recommend the mounts that use the factory tire carrier bolts on a stock setup? That seemed the least invasive. At some pt i think I'll be getting the aev tire carrier and will mount something to it, but want a functional cb. Cheers!

Last edited:

jesse3638

Hooked
This is an off the shelf cb radio bracket. The console housing lifts off and there is a bolt that holds the inner plastic liner that the outer liner snaps to. You remove the bolt and wedge the bracket into that plastic housing and use that bolt to secure it. Nice clean setup. Theres quick release thumb screws to pull the cb out. I may never, my normal passenger is pretty small so the encroachment shouldn't bother her! I'd mention where i bought this but they may have pissed eddie off and don't want to point people their direction here. But it's the only one i could find that mounted where i wanted it... If you search jku cb radio mounts it'll be in the top 10 I'd bet.

Thanks for the tips to everyone that chimed in. I should have a spare switch on my switch pro to run this! I know I'll need to tune the swr, hoping someone at the badlands can help in a few weeks if i get everything else set up. Also thanks for the ground strip recommendations, I'll check that out!

Do you recommend the mounts that use the factory tire carrier bolts on a stock setup? That seemed the least invasive. At some pt i think I'll be getting the aev tire carrier and will mount something to it, but want a functional cb. Cheers!
That's where mine is mounted. I ended up using one of the lower outside bolts as the antenna would hit the 3rd brake light and drive me crazy. Ill see if I can find a pic.

jesse3638

Hooked
Here are the pics I took. I originally had the grounding strap lug attached directly to the fire ring. However I was not getting a good groud. Attaching it like you see here wroked a lot better. I just sanded off the powder coat on the bracket. Also I used 18' fire ring coax. IMAG2867.jpeg

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Here are the pics I took. I originally had the grounding strap lug attached directly to the fire ring. However I was not getting a good groud. Attaching it like you see here wroked a lot better. I just sanded off the powder coat on the bracket. Also I used 18' fire ring coax. View attachment 348998

Awesome, helps me understand what I'll be getting into. Definitely going to grab a ground strap while when I buy the mount. Just wanted to understand if that's the preferred position and what I'd be getting into. Cheers!

I appreciate it. I have mine mounted overhead now and I feel the same as you mentioned, kinda claustrophobic... Plus I've hit my head on it a few times.

Last edited:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I appreciate it. I have mine mounted overhead now and I feel the same as you mentioned, kinda claustrophobic... Plus I've hit my head on it a few times.

Sorry, I just had a chance to search the infirmary and I'm not seeing where Quadratec has been a cunt to Eddie or this forum. So I don't think they're on anyone's shit list. The mount I bought is the Quadratec branded Quick Disconnect mount. I think they have multiple models depending on what brand of CB you have.

If I missed a post in the Infirmary and Quadratec is on the shit list let me know and I'll edit out the reference. Just hate soliciting business to someone who I know has shat on Eddie, Cindy and the forum. Cheers.

Top Bottom