Catalytic converter

19C366DC-C39C-4AF6-A430-47C509C33B98.jpeg
found out you can literally wash your cats if they’re not clogged up or damaged. 150 miles in and no light yet, not enough to say definitively helped yet. But the amount of black shit that came out of the pipes I’d say is enough to partially confirm. Hopefully your spacer works for an easy fix.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
View attachment 362597
found out you can literally wash your cats if they’re not clogged up or damaged. 150 miles in and no light yet, not enough to say definitively helped yet. But the amount of black shit that came out of the pipes I’d say is enough to partially confirm. Hopefully your spacer works for an easy fix.
Interesting. Never crossed my mind to try something like this.

Interesting. Never crossed my mind to try something like this.
Yeah I was at a parts store that had “cat cleaner” which was like a gas additive. And thought huh. I bet you could just clean those out like the diesel truck guys get their crazy weird shit cleaned. Looked it up and sure enough there’s tons of people claiming to soak it in dawn or tide or whatever and rinse it out. Figured what the hell it was off already when I was rebuilding. Even just the rinse part had the honeycomb looking cleaner.

Last edited:

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Yeah I was at a parts store that had “cdt cleaner” which was like a gas additive. And thought huh. I bet you could just clean those out like the diesel truck guys get their crazy weird shit cleaned. Looked it up and sure enough there’s tons of people claiming to soak it in dawn or tide or whatever and rinse it out. Figured what the hell it was off already when I was rebuilding. Even just the rinse part had the honeycomb looking cleaner.
Might have to mess around with it and try it out. Thanks!

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug
Just went through this and went with magnaflow on a CA emissions vehicle (I live in NV). I didn’t want to shell out 3k for factory cats. I was a little nervous that the ECM might have stricter programming but everything has been good since.

jeeeep

Hooked
View attachment 362597
damn, I wish I'd done a little more research before replacing mine. at almost 200k miles I'm wondering if it would've helped.
There was a lot of soot that came out when I took them off.

damn, I wish I'd done a little more research before replacing mine. at almost 200k miles I'm wondering if it would've helped.
There was a lot of soot that came out when I took them off.
🤷‍♂️ Not sure if really works or just temporary, Its funny when you start it up and it blows soap bubbles out of the exhaust. haha, apparently didn't rinse out quite enough. Really though, between the hose, the soak, and I used a leaf blower to dry them out as I was afraid compressed air might damage something- a lot of gross looking crap came out for sure- cant hurt to get that out.

DanW

I got a cat code on my 2008 and used my ProCal to clear it. I've had to do this 2 times now and the code reappares after about 1500 to 2000 miles. The engine runs like new and has 152k on it. Funny thing is that the code only pops up when my wife drives it. It is a manual, so I'm wondering if there is something in her driving style that is causing it to trigger the code?

I saw the Maganaflow universal that is said to fit this engine for $285. I'm going to get the sensors checked and if that doesn't work, I'll probably just keep resetting until it gets down to a few hundred miles between triggers and then get the Magnaflow.

The other cat was replaced under warranty at about 96k miles. Is it hard to replace a cat in the JK 3.8?

Top Bottom