Catalytic converter

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok so I have a p0420 code for bank 1 efficiency on my 2011 3.8 jk. I haven’t looked at the data to see if the post cat o2 is reading right, but from experience I need a new Y pipe with the cats. Anyone tried any aftermarket brand cats? If so what brand? I’m sure OEM is expensive but probably the right way to go

Last edited:
Ok so I have a p0420 code for bank 1 efficiency on my 2011 3.8 jk. I haven’t looked at the data to see if the post cat o2 is reading write, but from experience I need a new Y pipe with the cats. Anyone tried any aftermarket brand cats? If so what brand? I’m sure OEM is expensive but probably the right way to go

o2 sensors cheap comparatively. Worth a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Before you replace the cat, I might try replacing just the O2 sensor first. That or do a pressure test on the cat before you pull the trigger on replacing it.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Before you replace the cat, I might try replacing just the O2 sensor first. That or do a pressure test on the cat before you pull the trigger on replacing it.

Yea I’m going to hook my scanner up to it tomorrow and watch the data flow. I’m hoping the o2 is just flat lined. Just preparing for worst scenario and wanted to get some options lined up if needed

Yea I’m going to hook my scanner up to it tomorrow and watch the data flow. I’m hoping the o2 is just flat lined. Just preparing for worst scenario and wanted to get some options lined up if needed

If you lived in a different state I’d say aftermarket or performance ones are great. I’m assuming their inspections are a bit more rigorous.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
o2 sensors cheap comparatively. Worth a shot.

This is true and trust me I hope it’s just an o2 sensor. Still need to actually diag it at work but just trying to gather info just in case it is the y pipe that needs to be replaced

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
If you lived in a different state I’d say aftermarket or performance ones are great. I’m assuming their inspections are a bit more rigorous.

In PA it’s just a visual inspection as well as an OBD test. Nice thing is is that I’m a license state inspector so it will pass inspection lol

WJCO

Meme King
Aftermarket cats work just fine as long as they meet the necessary requirements. Fed/state/etc. Walker Exhaust has some pretty affordable stuff.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Post cat o2 is reading right sadly. You can see in the data stream below it mimicking sensor 1 as I drove around.
IMG_1165.JPG

Another option i can do is the spark plug nonfouler. Prob going to try that first and see how it works.

Luckily for the emissions test I drive less than 5000 miles a year since I’m so close to work that I don’t need to run it thru the machine. So if this doesn’t work I’m good to go

Post cat o2 is reading right sadly. You can see in the data stream below it mimicking sensor 1 as I drove around.
View attachment 360795

Another option i can do is the spark plug nonfouler. Prob going to try that first and see how it works.

It works ;)
But of course “I have no experience doing that” haha worked best for “not me” using one and not both.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
It works ;)
But of course “I have no experience doing that” haha worked best for “not me” using one and not both.

Which one did you not use? Did your buddy only use it on the side that was faulty?

Which one did you not use? Did your buddy only use it on the side that was faulty?

The instructions say to drill one then put the non drilled one over that. And then install. Worked best as just leave it as the one drilled one to space it out of the exhaust flow. Post cat on effected bank.

pvkj454

The brick inside my passenger cat collapsed. I noticed it during disassembly for the wreck rebuild. I am not sure if the Jeep V6 engine can be damaged by the cat but I have seen other engines have damage from debris being sucked back into the cylinder. I always do a visual inspection with a bore scope through the o2 sensor holes when I see a catalyst efficiency code.

WJCO

Meme King
The brick inside my passenger cat collapsed. I noticed it during disassembly for the wreck rebuild. I am not sure if the Jeep V6 engine can be damaged by the cat but I have seen other engines have damage from debris being sucked back into the cylinder. I always do a visual inspection with a bore scope through the o2 sensor holes when I see a catalyst efficiency code.

I've seen a lot of Nissans do this.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Update, cleared the code and installed a non Fouler. Let’s see if it works. If not the walker cat converter is relatively cheap on rockauto.

jeeeep

Hooked
I used the Magnaflow converter on my 2010 JK but when I replaced mine it was only $600 on 2/2020, now it's almost double!

curious to know if the Fouler works

Top Bottom