CARNAGE!! Let's See Your Best Breaks & Trail Damage

JimLee

Hooked
Carnage at crawl event hosted by my club. Was an expensive day. Lost the ujoint, then the axle shaft and then the ball joints. Was surrounded by great friends to help me out and get it back down to the staging area (using a log as a skid 😂) and ready for a tow the following day.

Got replacement ball joints here tomorrow so I can get her back on the road. Contacted Jeremy about a new chromoly axle shaft so hopefully that’ll work out.

View attachment 381282 View attachment 381283 View attachment 381284 View attachment 381285 View attachment 381287 View attachment 381286
You sir, do a pretty thorough job at breaking shit. Hope to see you back on 4 wheels soon. Keep playing that hard and you're gonna need some tons.

Lol, that’s what I said! 😂
Sorry to see that happened! I’m glad that you had friends there to help you off the trail!
Thanks, yeah, very thankful for them.
Holy Crap... Factory Shafts?
Yeah, they were. Splines were perfect so happy my gears are fine.
You sir, do a pretty thorough job at breaking shit. Hope to see you back on 4 wheels soon. Keep playing that hard and you're gonna need some tons.
Lol! I’m normally much more controlled snd careful, just wasn’t paying enough attention this time. Lessons learned for sure.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Lol, that’s what I said! 😂

Thanks, yeah, very thankful for them.

Yeah, they were. Splines were perfect so happy my gears are fine.

Lol! I’m normally much more controlled snd careful, just wasn’t paying enough attention this time. Lessons learned for sure.
Its crazy how fast that shit can snowball if the joint goes.. kinda why I upgraded before I needed to.. saw a similar post years back and it scared me a little. Cool your splines are ok.. and you had help getting off the trail.

Trail Bud

Hooked
I thought it would be fun to start a thread dedicated to the carnage most of us have seen over the years. To kick things off, here are a few shots of body damage and breaks that Moby has seen. :cool:

Probably one of the worst breaks you can have - a sector shaft, taken out on the Rubicon...
main.php

main.php

It'll rub right out!! :cheesy: A little carnage on Moby compliments of Carnage Canyon BV....
main.php

main.php

Custom rear sway bar break thanks to Billings Canyon...
main.php

A summer of hard wheeling gave our Spyderlock rings a working and bent our rear axle shaft flanges as well...
main.php

If it can be broken, there's a good chance that we'll break it. Shot right after breaking our semi-float ProRock 60 rear axle shaft at the flange on Double Whammy...
main.php

As you can see from the ring of rust, it had been failing for quite some time. Perfect excuse to go full-float...
main.php

Kiss from a tree on the Dusy Ershim. As you can see, I wasn't the first to get the love tap and, I doubt I'll be the last...
main.php

main.php

main.php

Blown out rear end also compliments of the Dusy Ershim. Should have known better than to run a 5.38 ring & pinion in a Dana 44 rear axle pushing 40x15.50's...
main.php

Here are some shots of a chromoly front dana 44 shaft after being played hard on for about a year...
main.php

main.php

Sure would have been nice if the darn shaft had just broken at the U-joint. Here are a couple of shots of what it ended up doing to locker, bearings and housing...
main.php

main.php

Broken front track bar mounts compliments of the Bronco Peak Connector...
main.php

Trust me, there's a lot more than that and if I can think of it and or find pics of other breaks, rock rash and trail damage, I'll be sure to post them up. In the mean time, how about we see some of your pics!!

:thumb:
I remember some of this.

jeeeep

Hooked
lost a u-joint and the carnage dominoe'd to the ball joint?
did the knuckle fall off ?

I recall something about JL ball joint, knuckle design allowing something like this to happen

lost a u-joint and the carnage dominoe'd to the ball joint?
did the knuckle fall off ?

I recall something about JL ball joint, knuckle design allowing something like this to happen
Yep, it snowballed from a busted ujoint to axle shaft and then somehow the upper ball joint popped out which then jacked up the lower ball joint! I heard it pop and the Jeep down off the rock and the wheel assembly was laying nearly flat on the ground. The C and the ball joint seats are fine so I really don’t understand how it all just fell apart.

waynem

IMG_4788.jpeg
Not my carnage but scary... 2dr JK behind me on a Rubicon Trail run ... we had just finished the Cadillac Hill climb when there was a pop and front left tire deflated instantly. The older gentleman driving the JK had just had his brakes done a couple days previously. One of the caliper bolts had fallen out and the entire assemble wedged itself into the rim and cracked the aluminum wheel. Bolts on both front calipers were only finger tight. Clearly the garage has never heard of lock-tite or a torque wrench. Can't imagine how nasty that would have been had it happened on the highway at speed.

Carnage at crawl event hosted by my club. Was an expensive day. Lost the ujoint, then the axle shaft and then the ball joints. Was surrounded by great friends to help me out and get it back down to the staging area (using a log as a skid 😂) and ready for a tow the following day.

Got replacement ball joints here tomorrow so I can get her back on the road. Contacted Jeremy about a new chromoly axle shaft so hopefully that’ll work out.

View attachment 381282 View attachment 381283 View attachment 381284 View attachment 381285 View attachment 381287 View attachment 381286
The scratch on the door looks really serious!

View attachment 381303
Not my carnage but scary... 2dr JK behind me on a Rubicon Trail run ... we had just finished the Cadillac Hill climb when there was a pop and front left tire deflated instantly. The older gentleman driving the JK had just had his brakes done a couple days previously. One of the caliper bolts had fallen out and the entire assemble wedged itself into the rim and cracked the aluminum wheel. Bolts on both front calipers were only finger tight. Clearly the garage has never heard of lock-tite or a torque wrench. Can't imagine how nasty that would have been had it happened on the highway at speed.
I hope the shop takes care of him. That have could have been a lot worse.

Top Bottom