California or Bust : An Epic Trek Across the California Emigrant Trail

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
when you guys pass through wyoming, are you going to do any trail or pass through? i see you're are passing on the southern part of the wind river mountain range. i've been back packing further north, but never drove on the southern part. didn't know if you guys knew of any trails.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
when you guys pass through wyoming, are you going to do any trail or pass through? i see you're are passing on the southern part of the wind river mountain range. i've been back packing further north, but never drove on the southern part. didn't know if you guys knew of any trails.

Sorry, won't have any time to do any trails, just the California trail. From Nebraska, we will head up to Casper and the cut across the state in a south west direction until we get to Diamondville.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Along the 40 Mile Desert...

main.php

RanchoRubi

Caught the Bug
Finally:whew: the jeeps ready for this incredible epic adventure. All maintenance completed. All repairs done. Special thanks to JeepFan for the most comprehensive list of things to do before the trip I've ever seen :clap2: now the count down begins. :daydream: YeeHaaa:wings:

mcpuck

Caught the Bug
EXTRA EXTRA- TRAVELERS BE AWARE!
Pioneer’s typical outfit isn’t terribly expensive; usually one or two small, sturdy farm wagons, six to 10 head of oxen, a milk cow or two. Plus all the necessary food, clothing and utensils needed for survival. Heavy items such as furniture, stoves, pianos should be freighted to the West Coast by clipper ship around the Horn of South America. If such heavy things are packed in the wagons, they usually end up left along trailside along the way.

To survive the long journey, a family of four will need 600 lbs. of flour, 120 lbs. of biscuits, 400 lbs. of bacon, 60 lbs. of coffee, 4 lbs. of tea, 100 lbs. of sugar, and 200 lbs. of lard. These are just the basic staples. Other food stuffs should include sacks of rice and beans, plus dried peaches and apples. Bacon should be hauled in large barrels packed in bran so the hot sun will not melt the fat. Each man will be required to have a rifle or shotgun or a pistol. A good hunting knife is essential. Farm implements such as a plow, shovel, scythe, rake, hoe; plus carpentry tools - saw, broad axe, mallet, plane. Seeds for corn, wheat and other crops.

Some will make light of how us pioneers (ramin) will try to “take it all.” Some will laid in and over supply of bacon, flour and beans, and in addition thereto every conceivable gimcrack and useless article that the widest fancy could devise or human ingenuity could invent – pins and needles, brooms and brushes, ox shoes and horse shoes, lasts and leather, glass beads beads and hawks-bells, jumping jacks and jews-harps, rings and bracelets, pocket mirrors and pocket-books, calico vests and boiled shirts. Please pack wisely as space and weight is a concern.

Let’s discuss the items above as not to carry unnecessary weight in an effort to ensure all that start out on this adventure make it to our destination of the California Gold Fields.
We would like to encourage all pioneers to discuss things like:
- what to pack; we should be aware of what is in our fellow travelers wagons. No need to carry 4 receiver vises, 6 hi-lifts, or 8 gals of motor oil.
- what to do incase of an Indian attack; run faster than JeepFan
- how to care for travelers stricken with plague; ensure we have plenty of honey serum
- edible plants along the trail; avoid a trip to the spirit world
- and much much more.

We will be posting up a list of what we are packing into the wagon that can be shared so we all can travel a bit lighter. This, combined with the Rubicon run, will have us on the trail for three weeks!

Last edited:

Trail Bud

Hooked
EXTRA EXTRA- TRAVELERS BE AWARE!
Let’s discuss the items above as not to carry unnecessary weight in an effort to ensure all that start out on this adventure make it to our destination of the California Gold Fields.
We would like to encourage all pioneers to discuss things like:
- what to pack; we should be aware of what is in our fellow travelers wagons. No need to carry 4 receiver vises, 6 hi-lifts, or 8 gals of motor oil.
- how to care for travelers stricken with plague; ensure we have plenty of honey serum
- and much much more.

That was great! but my thoughts.

There are uses for multiple items like:
- 4 receiver vises, 6 hi-lifts, or 8 gals of motor oil.
Use them to trade with the locals. This is great trading stuff :thumb:

great idea I agree. :D

Natures own medicine or almost :yup:

:thinking:

Top Bottom