BUILDING a DYNATRAC PROROCK 44 : A Close Up Look at How an Awesome Front Axle is Made

boardsurfer

Great video! That was awesome. I love watching these axles get built. And awesome to see the same guys working there after 10 years.

Yes! The guy that did the initial tube cuts is the same one from the PR80 video right? (Matt!)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Amazing video! I love watching them build the axle as you showed here and in your previous pr80 video! Also the fact that moby still has his ORIGINAL pr60 from over 10 years ago really shows the quality of the dynatrac axles. No junk yard rebuild can withstand the abuse that axle has.

I should ask though, why RCV axles? I know you don’t like them for the noise they make and their failures you have shown us in the past. Is it purely for testing to see if this is still true or was that the only option available at the time of install?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Amazing video! I love watching them build the axle as you showed here and in your previous pr80 video! Also the fact that moby still has his ORIGINAL pr60 from over 10 years ago really shows the quality of the dynatrac axles. No junk yard rebuild can withstand the abuse that axle has.

I should ask though, why RCV axles? I know you don’t like them for the noise they make and their failures you have shown us in the past. Is it purely for testing to see if this is still true or was that the only option available at the time of install?

We only went with RCV's because they were the only thing available that would work on this PR44JL or at least, at the time we made this video. If you want something now, you got go with what you can get. :crazyeyes:

rough country track bar.... rcv shafts... who knows. might turn out to be great..... :thumb:

LOL!! Already ditched the track bar. The RCV's can stay as long as they stay quite. Once they start to snap and pop, I'll replace them.

rubiDave

Great video. Loved seeing inside the factory and watching expert technicians at work. Noah made doing the gears on your front axle look so easy I was wondering if he had the shims set up in advance.

I was surprised at your choice of RCV. shafts. Figured it must be an a ailability thing.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

JeepDad17

Another great video, Thank you for sharing the process for building a ProRock44 axel. Is there a reason you only did the front?

MericaMade

I'm not gonna lie, I was really looking into the other brand for sometime due to pricing but watching this video hands down changed my mind. This was a very insightful video and I can see why Dynatrac has such a great following and product. I have to say this is one of the best and most educational video you guys have made. :thumb:

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Great video. Loved seeing inside the factory and watching expert technicians at work. Noah made doing the gears on your front axle look so easy I was wondering if he had the shims set up in advance.

I was surprised at your choice of RCV. shafts. Figured it must be an a ailability thing.

LOL!! On the pinion depth shims, he did a pretty good job of just guessing. On the carrier shims, he had to work it more than once but for the sake of the video, we just showed the final outcome. As far as RCV's go, yes, it was an availability thing for us to go with them.

Another great video, Thank you for sharing the process for building a ProRock44 axel. Is there a reason you only did the front?

Well, up until now, the only housing failures we have seen have been on the front axle and at the FAD. So far, we have not seen any rear axle housing failures. Just like the JK before, there really hasn't been as pressing a need to replace a rear housing being that it is a true 44 and with 3" tubes. I should note however that we we have been hearing about some bearing failures though.

That was a great video! It’s really cool watching quality parts being made and assembled.

So glad you enjoyed it :)

Wow! Interesting, informative and just super cool! Congratulations on the axle! I need a couple of these! Loved this video!

Thanks Rachel, so glad you enjoyed the video :)

Awesome video! Such a quality product! Can’t wait to get one... and 37s [emoji23]

It really is as good as it gets and you can see it. :yup:

I'm not gonna lie, I was really looking into the other brand for sometime due to pricing but watching this video hands down changed my mind. This was a very insightful video and I can see why Dynatrac has such a great following and product. I have to say this is one of the best and most educational video your guys have made. :thumb:

Thank you, we're so glad to hear it and I do think that being able to see what goes into making an axle like this really helps to understand where the cost comes from. Aside from the America parts that are sourced and used, the employees are all guys who've been working there for a long time and take real pride in their work. I don't think robots or chinese welders share the same amount of care in what they do.

jdofmemi

Still trying to block out a free hour to finish the video.

Question on the gears, you mentioned a couple of small issues due to the 5.13 gearing.
With the lower transmission gearing, and the Rubicon transfer case giving plenty of crawl ability, do you think 4.88 might be a better choice for 37s on a JL?

QuicksilverJK

Caught the Bug

Question on the gears, you mentioned a couple of small issues due to the 5.13 gearing.
With the lower transmission gearing, and the Rubicon transfer case giving plenty of crawl ability, do you think 4.88 might be a better choice for 37s on a JL?

Wow!!! Until I read your comment I didn't realize how long this video was. I must have more free time than I realized, because I watched it and didn't even think about it. Great video though, so the time really didn't even register.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
Wow!!! Until I read your comment I didn't realize how long this video was. I must have more free time than I realized, because I watched it and didn't even think about it. Great video though, so the time really didn't even register.

I so feel that way. An hour of these go so quickly. It's crazy.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

I actually thought it said 25 minutes when I first started. Looked at about the 40 minute mark when I realized they had a long way to go still and it felt like more than 20 minutes. Lol

JAGS

Hooked
We only went with RCV's because they were the only thing available that would work on this PR44JL or at least, at the time we made this video. If you want something now, you got go with what you can get. :crazyeyes:

LOL!! Already ditched the track bar. The RCV's can stay as long as they stay quite. Once they start to snap and pop, I'll replace them.

What new track bar? Maybe I missed it, but new tie rod?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

Not necessarily. If MPG is a concern, yes, I would definitely go with a lower ratio like 4.88. The other issue regarding passing is up in the air for me. I've actually been suspecting that too high of a ratio caused issues for PSC and Nitto on the JLX when they were climbing the cinder hill. Mel charged up the hill in 4HI and then bogged down - that made sense, but they went up in 4LO and had issues. My guess then was that the transmission wouldn't dig down deeper and they were winding out. Similarly, when you're doing about 75 MPH on the highway and want to pass a truck, the transmission will not go below 5th even if you try to manually shift it. You can only get it to go lower IF you're doing about 60-65. This was never a problem when we were still running 4.10's.

I so feel that way. An hour of these go so quickly. It's crazy.

I actually thought it said 25 minutes when I first started. Looked at about the 40 minute mark when I realized they had a long way to go still and it felt like more than 20 minutes. Lol

Thanks guys, we're so glad to hear our video didn't feel as long as it really was :cool:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
What new track bar? Maybe I missed it, but new tie rod?

LOL!! Rancho track bar and we don't have a new tie-rod in yet but we have a Synergy one coming in for testing.

Eddie, did you go to roller bearings on the new gears or is ball bearings the only way to go with Avantek gears currently?

Unfortunately, ball bearings is the only thing you can run at this time. While there might be a roller bearing match, we couldn't find one that quickly.

Top Bottom