Build Jeep

LarryG

I have a 2016 Rubi, my wife and I don't want to beat it up....too pretty.

I am going to buy a JK to build. My question: What makes sense....? I am going to get a wrangler, what is the best year considering I am going to basically redo everything....no sense buying a Rubicon if I am going to replace/upgrade everything anyway, right? I am thinking a 2010-12 with 50,000 miles....or so.....

Thoughts on this?

SunDevilJk

I am going to buy a JK to build. My question: What makes sense....? I am going to get a wrangler, what is the best year considering I am going to basically redo everything....no sense buying a Rubicon if I am going to replace/upgrade everything anyway, right? I am thinking a 2010-12 with 50,000 miles....or so.....

Thoughts on this?

There are a couple things on a rubicon that make it worth it even if you are going to build. The biggest in my opinion is the 4:1 transfer case. Every other model is 2:1. The stock 4:10 gears is also nice if you don't go huge on aftermarket tires.

Jackal01

Why 2010-2012? Couple things with that time frame.

2007-2010 had a different interior than 2011-current.
2007-2011 3.8L motor vs 2012-current 3.6L Pentastar which is superior.

2012 would be the best of the 3 years however I would go newer since the first year or so of a new motor could have issues and the 3.6L did have issues. Perhaps look at 2014+?

LarryG

There are a couple things on a rubicon that make it worth it even if you are going to build. The biggest in my opinion is the 4:1 transfer case. Every other model is 2:1. The stock 4:10 gears is also nice if you don't go huge on aftermarket tires.

Thanks. I will be going with 37s. I will be putting in the ProRock Dynatrac axles. The transfer case I had not considered.

LarryG

Why 2010-2012? Couple things with that time frame.

2007-2010 had a different interior than 2011-current.
2007-2011 3.8L motor vs 2012-current 3.6L Pentastar which is superior.

2012 would be the best of the 3 years however I would go newer since the first year or so of a new motor could have issues and the 3.6L did have issues. Perhaps look at 2014+?

Thanks....good advise.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

Thoughts on this?

I've ran both engines (had an '09 w/ auto transmission), and I prefer the 3.6, however, there are some guys on here, doing serious wheeling with the 3.8L and proper gearing. The problem may be finding a 2 door with 50,000 miles in the age range you spoke of, if by JK, you meant 2 door.

Sport t-case is 2.73:1. You can call MoTech and find a 4:1 transfer case, often times. The transfer case ratio does make a huge difference. I swapped a Rubi t-case into the sport I had.

JKbrick

Thoughts on this?

If I were in this position I would seek out a 2007 2wheel drive and build it. There is a thread on Wayalife of someone doing this. Just a thought

LarryG

I assume I could put an atlas transfer case in.....?

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
If you get a 07-11 automatic you can get a Rubicrawler adapter that will give you the 4:1 crawl instead of swapping out T-Cases. That is what Eddie and Cindy did with the Vengeance build if I remember correctly.

JJK

Man, to start over again..... I would try and find an older sport with a blown engine and decent interior. Send it to MoTech for the V8 of your choice. Dynatrac axles from the start. So many options.....

M_Savage

Caught the Bug
This is crazy. I have literally been having this exact conversation with Jake (dillard09) for the past week. If your going to redo everything anyway why not get a 2wd jeep? Right from the start you would be able to do exactly what you want. Rubicrawler transmission adapter with a sport (or Rubicon) transfer case would give you the low range, then your axles and suspension. This would be a great foundation to start your build from.

The only problem I have ran into with this option so far is finding an older jeep with a reasonable amount of life left in the engine. Although a MoTech swap is the main goal. it would need to last me up until that point with daily driving and wheeling; probably a 2 year process. But with you only looking at something with 50,000 miles then this wouldn't be a problem.

I'm excited to see the direction you go with this :rock::thumb:

LarryG

Man, to start over again..... I would try and find an older sport with a blown engine and decent interior. Send it to MoTech for the V8 of your choice. Dynatrac axles from the start. So many options.....

EXACTLY! This will be a blast!

LarryG

This is crazy. I have literally been having this exact conversation with Jake (dillard09) for the past week. If your going to redo everything anyway why not get a 2wd jeep? Right from the start you would be able to do exactly what you want. Rubicrawler transmission adapter with a sport (or Rubicon) transfer case would give you the low range, then your axles and suspension. This would be a great foundation to start your build from.

The only problem I have ran into with this option so far is finding an older jeep with a reasonable amount of life left in the engine. Although a MoTech swap is the main goal. it would need to last me up until that point with daily driving and wheeling; probably a 2 year process. But with you only looking at something with 50,000 miles then this wouldn't be a problem.

I'm excited to see the direction you go with this :rock::thumb:

Im in no big hurry to find the right platform, just trying to get insights on which model year to use....Thanks.

Kyle7R

Im in no big hurry to find the right platform, just trying to get insights on which model year to use....Thanks.

It truly depends on your plans.

Do you plan on keeping the factory motor?

Do you plan on keeping the factory seats?

Do any of the factory "creature comforts"?

If not, you can find a dead in the water 07-10 and build from there.

If so, I'd say target an 12 or newer.

LarryG

It truly depends on your plans.

Do you plan on keeping the factory motor?

Do you plan on keeping the factory seats?

Do any of the factory "creature comforts"?

If not, you can find a dead in the water 07-10 and build from there.

If so, I'd say target an 12 or newer.

Yeah....now that I am actively looking....it seems to get more complicated. I want all the good stuff, want to be able to run real hard and not cry when it takes a beating....all options are "on the table" as they say!

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
If you get a 07-11 automatic you can get a Rubicrawler adapter that will give you the 4:1 crawl instead of swapping out T-Cases. That is what Eddie and Cindy did with the Vengeance build if I remember correctly.

That's a good suggestion, too. I didn't think of it, because my brain thinks 2012 up, mostly. Should be a lot less expensive.

Top Bottom