Bruiser LS3 or Dakota Hemi 426

mackey

I have a 2013 JKU fully built by EVO with the double throwdown, prorock 60s and 40s.

I am ready to do an engine swap. I am leaning towards a Bruiser conversion LS3 or a Dakota Customs Hemi 426. Bruiser would use my stock automatic transmission while Dakota is recommending I swap it with an 8 speed automatic transmission. Any feedback on either would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Also is upgrading my rear full float 60 to an 80 a must with an engine swap?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No reason at all. What would you recommend? LS3 and Hemi swaps seem to be more common. I’m trying to learn as much as possible.
Well, we just swapped out the LS that we had in Moby and had a 6.2L LT installed and with a 10 speed automatic transmission. Motech is now using a single module system and so now, there's no having to deal with 2 computers trying to talk to each other. Everything now runs off of the one GM computer. Biggest reasons NOT to go with a HEMI is that they're big, heavy and have overheating issues. Like the LS, the LT is smaller, fits way better in the engine compartment, runs way cooler and is way more modern. Here's a video we did on ours.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Dakota customs sucks. They gone out of business and changed names multiple times. They just screw people over long enough, close up shop and change names and nobody figures it out.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Dakota customs sucks. They gone out of business and changed names multiple times. They just screw people over long enough, close up shop and change names and nobody figures it out.
I didn't want to say anything because I couldn't remember for sure but now that you mentioned it, yeah, that's pretty much what I had seen too.

JT@623

Hooked
Well, we just swapped out the LS that we had in Moby and had a 6.2L LT installed and with a 10 speed automatic transmission. Motech is now using a single module system and so now, there's no having to deal with 2 computers trying to talk to each other. Everything now runs off of the one GM computer. Biggest reasons NOT to go with a HEMI is that they're big, heavy and have overheating issues. Like the LS, the LT is smaller, fits way better in the engine compartment, runs way cooler and is way more modern. Here's a video we did on ours.

I would second this swap I have the same set up and it’s a fantastic power train in a Jeep. It’s 60 LBS heavier than the 3.8 I’ve had mine on the road for a year .not to mention Motech’s customer service is great .

mackey

Thank you for sharing. Who would you recommend for an install?

Fury22

Definitely go for the LT....i would say the rear axle would be ok for now depending on how you use the jeep...

2011jk

I had nothing but problems with Motec...and not much help getting it fixed. From brackets to elect issues.

If doing again I would contact as he has helped me get this mess shorted.
Overland Performance
John Schumacher
GONZALES, LA 70737

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I had nothing but problems with Motec...and not much help getting it fixed. From brackets to elect issues.

If doing again I would contact as he has helped me get this mess shorted.
Overland Performance
John Schumacher
GONZALES, LA 70737
Bummer you had problems with Motech. I've always had great service with them and everyone else I know who's worked with them has too. That being said, I would still recommend a new Gen V LT over a LS or HEMI any day of the way and Motech is the only one I know who's got it down and with a single module system.

Bierpower

Hooked
Motech has never been a quick turnaround but I've never called Robbie and not had him over explain everything in an effort to get things fixed. The thing with Motech is if you buy his kit and do your own install and then call and expect them to fix all your problems over the phone you probably need to take a long walk back to reality.

2011jk

I could document all the issues I had but their would still be those who would question it, just saying if someone is interested in a LS swap talk to John. If you do and still go with Robbie fine.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I could document all the issues I had but their would still be those who would question it, just saying if someone is interested in a LS swap talk to John. If you do and still go with Robbie fine.
LOL - nobody said you couldn't and as I said, bummer you had problems. All I can say is that I've had the exact opposite experience and so have a few others on this thread but I'm sure you would question that. But really, it's a moot point. Since you seemed to have missed it, I've been recommending the NEW Gen V LT, NOT the old LS. The LT is a much better engine and Motech is the only one that I know of who's got it down. It's what I'm running now and it's AWESOME.

Last edited:
Top Bottom