Body mounted tire carrier.

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Ok so I'm still in the market to buy a tire carrier. I was first thinking about the LoD shorty bumper and tire carrier but now I think I'm not wanting to run a rear bumper and just the Evo Fascia and d ring mounts.
My new choices of tire carriers is of course Evo and second is the Poison Spyder body mount . I like the PS carrier locking mechanism but does anyone have any suggestions comments or pros and cons about the PS carrier also if you have any pics of the PS that would be great thanks guys. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462726054.064846.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462726083.412015.jpg

MOOK

Not sure what what wheel/tire combo your going with.. But my 20x10slabs w/40x1550 nitto muds seem to have maxed out my LOD carrier.. I have it setup right but I get movement when I hit potholes. It's a little unsettling. I tried looking into other options and contacted PSC about there body mounted carrier and there response was they do not recommend it.. Same response from gen right. EVO is simply the best for heavier setups. And it's what I would go to if I didn't already have PSC corners. It's just more of a "job" to change it all out than I'd like ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462726701.978562.jpg

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Ok yeah that's for the feed back. My bad my set up is 35s with 17" bully pros but I'm wanting to run 37s in the future.

Jackal01

I installed the PSC one a few months ago. I am generally happy with it. I didn't want to deal with corner skins so EVO was out. I didn't know about the genright one until after the installation otherwise I would have considered it. PSC has improved the locking mechanism from the first version. The only con are the alignment pins on the latch plate. I cannot figure out why the carrier will not sit closer even after talking to them but thankfully it doesn't move one bit. I haven't been off road to test it further but so far it has done well. Oh and the other con is if you use a wheel with a small/factory hub the rubber alignment cone is not small enough to protect center bore. See the pictures. If you have slabs, chamber pros or other wheels with a larger hub you shouldn't have a problem (per PSC) since I asked them about this too. I am using gorilla tape on the spindle splines to protect the wheel. With that said I prefer how EVO mounts the tire. I think Genright is the same as the PSC one. I have factory wheels, soon to have Trail Ready BLs. I don't have the measurement on the center bore but it loos close to slabs.

1462728558901.jpg 1462728595592.jpg 1462728613101.jpg 1462728622142.jpg 1462728631355.jpg 1462728645189.jpg 1462728653931.jpg

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Crawler Conceptz is another body mounted carrier that you can look into. It isn't the cage style like PS or EVO however it is rated up to a 40" tire and opens with the tail gate.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I run the or fab with roto pax and it does great for my 35's and I know it will take 37's when I get there.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462729665.734788.jpg .
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462729676.170405.jpg .

seanb123

I really like my genright ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462729990.522105.jpg

Very solid design and I personally am not a fan of the poison spyder knock off and not a fan of their latch system

Jackal01

Genright...for a long while evo and genright were the only body mounted carriers and then poison spyder came along and used the same design with a subpar latch

I guess I just don't see the similarities to call it copying. I see EVO and GR being of similar design and PSC being different. The PSC newer latch is something to be desired though. Out of all 3 I think GR is my favorite despite what I bought.

I have been trying to research if I can get the GR one to work but without having the plate to see if the holes overlap I cannot tell. I think I may be stuck with PSC.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
I installed the PSC one a few months ago. I am generally happy with it. I didn't want to deal with corner skins so EVO was out. I didn't know about the genright one until after the installation otherwise I would have considered it.

I really like my genright View attachment 202417

Very solid design and I personally am not a fan of the poison spyder knock off and not a fan of their latch system

I guess I just don't see the similarities to call it copying. I see EVO and GR being of similar design and PSC being different. The PSC newer latch is something to be desired though. Out of all 3 I think GR is my favorite despite what I bought.

I have been trying to research if I can get the GR one to work but without having the plate to see if the holes overlap I cannot tell. I think I may be stuck with PSC.

12974319_10153554142431305_5399589027491713217_n.jpg

I am very happy with the Genright Tire Carrier. I had the body mounts powder coated body color and then the carrier black. The spare tire is very solid now (I could jump up and down on it) and with the stock tire, I just have it mounted the other way around, bolt side towards the body, which is a reverse of what I have above. My new system is this:

IMG_4838.jpg IMG_4839.jpg

I hope this helps and bummer to Jackal for not knowing about the Genright. Next to the EVO, it is comparable and you do not need the corner skins. Another positive is the locking mechanism to hold the tire outward. Otherwise, they are very similar and both really great products.

seanb123

The differences between all the carriers is how they mount. PS using the existing hinge and then the plate in the exact same spot is what makes me personally feel like it's a copy

Last edited:

seanb123

I hope this helps and bummer to Jackal for not knowing about the Genright. Next to the EVO, it is comparable and you do not need the corner skins. Another positive is the locking mechanism to hold the tire outward. Otherwise, they are very similar and both really great products.

Carrier does look good with the blue jeep. Where have you seen the evo mount without the skins?

Clifford33

Caught the Bug
Thanks guys. Yeah I was trying to avoid doing the corner skins. But with the GR and PS carrier is there really a difference other then the locking mechanism? Iv watch reviews on both. I also want to be able to mount my jack and rotopacks. Also with the OR Fab I looked into that one in the very beginning but kinda went away from that one because the tire is on the outside of the carrier and sticks out pretty far. But I do love that it holds the rotopacks and jack on the inside of the carrier.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Thanks guys. Yeah I was trying to avoid doing the corner skins. But with the GR and PS carrier is there really a difference other then the locking mechanism? Iv watch reviews on both. I also want to be able to mount my jack and rotopacks. Also with the OR Fab I looked into that one in the very beginning but kinda went away from that one because the tire is on the outside of the carrier and sticks out pretty far. But I do love that it holds the rotopacks and jack on the inside of the carrier.

I have never hit my tire believe it or not. The only time I would have was in Moab and I eliminated that by making a rear stinger/hitch slider to protect it.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1462758288.112194.jpg .

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I have never hit my tire believe it or not. The only time I would have was in Moab and I eliminated that by making a rear stinger/hitch slider to protect it.
View attachment 202489 .

Pretty cool idea. Correct me if I'm wrong but, it doesn't look like your tire would stick out much further than if running the Genright or similar. If you would hit your tire with the OR Fab, wouldn't you still make contact with the Genright tire carrier and a rock, or does it really sick out that much more?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Pretty cool idea. Correct me if I'm wrong but, it doesn't look like your tire would stick out much further than if running the Genright or similar. If you would hit your tire with the OR Fab, wouldn't you still make contact with the Genright tire carrier and a rock, or does it really sick out that much more?

It does stick out a bit farther than the genright if my memory serves me correctly. I will get an exact measurement tomorrow as to how far out mine sits with the 35 on it if I can remember

Top Bottom