Best deals on tool sets

Helipilot2

Hey guys so I went to my storage unit yesterday and found all my hand and power tools to be gone. I had rented the unit 2 weeks ago and purchased one of their locks, I put all my stuff in there and the only person to see what I put in was their maintenance guy who was working on some signs next to my unit. When I went yesterday my lock was still on there, not cut. I opened it and my heart sank once I saw all my tools gone. I notified the office and all they said was "Did you have a lock on it?" and "There is nothing we can do, file a police report." No I did not have renters insurance, I will be getting that today, lesson learned there. I now need to repurchase all my tools, a lot of them were snap on so lots of money lost there :mad: any suggestions on some good deals youve come across?

Last edited:

NV375

This sucks. What part of the valley is your unit? The only place I have been comfortable renting a storage unit is one in Boulder City but the management has changed so I am not sure about that one anymore. For cheap tools Lowe's seems to stand by there Kobalt brand. When it comes to quality tools good luck finding any not from a truck. If you can hold off until father's day the stores have big sales.

Helipilot2

This sucks. What part of the valley is your unit? The only place I have been comfortable renting a storage unit is one in Boulder City but the management has changed so I am not sure about that one anymore. For cheap tools Lowe's seems to stand by there Kobalt brand. When it comes to quality tools good luck finding any not from a truck. If you can hold off until father's day the stores have big sales.

Forgot to update my location, I am actually out in OKC, OK now. Took a job offer and already dont like the place now... :( Fathers day is a long ways off so we will see, I need to get some basic tools before then. Ill probably try and get one of those craftsman 200 piece sets or something from home depot or lowes

NV375

Forgot to update my location, I am actually out in OKC, OK now. Took a job offer and already dont like the place now... :( Fathers day is a long ways off so we will see, I need to get some basic tools before then. Ill probably try and get one of those craftsman 200 piece sets or something from home depot or lowes

Take a good look at the Craftsman tools before you buy. Quality is not what it was. If I am buying a Chinese made tool it will not be a Craftsman.

NV375

Costco and Sam's have had some big import tool sets in the past I don't know what they have now.

Jegar

The escalating thievery everywhere is soooooooo maddening!!! Since you purchased one of their locks, they may share some liability. Might be worth at least running by a lawyer? Depending on the value of your tools, a $75-100 letter might be worthwhile? Stories like this make me hope more and more that Karma is a true entity! :(

Gadget

Caught the Bug

Don't like the job or the city?

toxicwaste29

Agreed. Don't get craftsman tools. There tools have gone way down hill since moving to China. Anymore when I buy single sockets or wrenches I check to make sure it is USA stamped otherwise I wait

drdarren

They usually have cameras up in all of those places. I would tell them you want to see the camera recordings to see who went in there.

Helipilot2

They usually have cameras up in all of those places. I would tell them you want to see the camera recordings to see who went in there.

Cameras dont shoot down every isle only the main ones that you drive down so you cant see the doors. I already went and got my remaining stuff out and went to a new storage place with a full camera setup and gun safe style locks and double locked it

GraniteCrystal

I have craftsman and never had any trouble. They have huge sales on Black Friday, but that's a ways out. Best part is lifetime warranty so if something does break I just go to a Sears and get a new one. I realize that's not always feasible on the trail though.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I had a Husky tool set from Home Depot and it was stolen. I replaced it with craftsman and I'll tell you that the husky tool set was better quality.

Spencer11496

I just bought, about 3 hours ago, a 268 piece Husky set from Home Depot for $200. They seem really nice, have a lifetime guarantee, and will serve me well. Previously I had a Task Force set and it worked well for several years but the ratchets were finally giving out.

trailless

Caught the Bug
I just bought, about 3 hours ago, a 268 piece Husky set from Home Depot for $200. They seem really nice, have a lifetime guarantee, and will serve me well. Previously I had a Task Force set and it worked well for several years but the ratchets were finally giving out.

That's the one I had and it was great! Small enough to to take on a trail and enough tools for just about any wrenching you need to do.

ScoobyCarolanNC

If you have homeowners it may cover the loss. Did you rent it on an actual credit card (not debit or atm) they may cover it too. Was that the garage you sometimes parked your jeep in ;-) car insurance may cover it.

Helipilot2

Awesome, I'll go check into that tomorrow and see what I can come up with!

Top Bottom