Beadlocks and driving on highway?

Exuma

I've only owned unmodified jeeps in the past and I'm currently putting all my wishlist parts for a Rubicon I'm looking at buying.

Are beadlock wheels really only good for rock crawling where you air down very, very low? Or are they also useful in mud / different terrain.

Also, how do you feel about safely driving with them on the highway.. it seems none of them are DOT approved and a failure could lead to a blowout. I'm not sure how much of a concern this is though.

EDIT: I just realized my avatar is a modified jeep, but it wasn't done by myself, I bought it that way and didn't have it for too long.

MericaMade

There are approved DOT beadlocks in the market. I just check the bead bolts every oil change and drive them like a normal set. Just note, most shops won't touch beadlocks.

Sent from my SM-G781V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JT@623

Hooked
Been running them for years no issues. re-torque after a couple hundred miles first go and then check every oil change or if your just bored :yup:

TrailHunter

Hooked
I was watching a video of me going through an obstacle... I went over that rock completely on the beadlock ring... tires are optional. [emoji51]

Adjustments.JPG

JYough

Beadlocks are nice. I’ve had mine on the Jeep that my wife daily drives on Highway for about 4 years now. The only time we had a blowout was when a tire balancing weight went through the tire while she was going 70mph. She said it handled good without pressure in the tire and she was able to get off the Highway and to a safe spot. Definitely plan on searching for a place to balance them. Most shops won’t touch them. IMG_5006.jpg IMG_5007.jpg IMG_5008.jpg IMG_5009.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jesse3638

Hooked
I've had mine on the Jeep for 8 years now. No issues with them. Fortunately my local America's tire balances them no questions asked. Some won't. I'd think most small shops would probably balance them like they would other tires. Depends on the tires some have said they didn't require balancing. My thought on them is this, DOT approved or not. If race trucks can run them at 100 mph in the desert over harsh terrain, I can run them at highway speeds on mostly smooth pavement...haha.

Sent from my SM-G973U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Clearskies

Caught the Bug
I've only owned unmodified jeeps in the past and I'm currently putting all my wishlist parts for a Rubicon I'm looking at buying.

Are beadlock wheels really only good for rock crawling where you air down very, very low? Or are they also useful in mud / different terrain.

Also, how do you feel about safely driving with them on the highway.. it seems none of them are DOT approved and a failure could lead to a blowout. I'm not sure how much of a concern this is though.

EDIT: I just realized my avatar is a modified jeep, but it wasn't done by myself, I bought it that way and didn't have it for too long.
I've used them on the highway for about 4 years now, no issues.
As far as I know, there is no law that Beadlocks be DOT approved. Perhaps some states do but I'm not aware of any.

Been running them for years no issues. re-torque after a couple hundred miles first go and then check every oil change or if your just bored :yup:

As for retorqueing, the manufacture of my beadlocks (Trail Ready) specifically say not to retorque.

Top Bottom