Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Not sure on the caster setting. I don't really have the tools (angle finder) to check that out. I tried using an app on my phone yesterday after reading this guide, but struggled to get readings which made any sense or matched up to what it should be.

My Jeep is driving great at the moment, but I will be buying an angle finder to try and check some of this stuff myself over time.

You should be able to do this with your iphone. Just put it up against the round hole next to your diff cover as shown below...

attachment.php

When set correctly, your angle finder should be sitting close to vertical with a reading of 92° or 88° here.

Also, just to make sure, you are not running cam bolts on your axle, are you?

Wizard

You should be able to do this with your iphone. Just put it up against the round hole next to your diff cover as shown below...

When set correctly, your angle finder should be sitting close to vertical with a reading of 92° or 88° here.

Also, just to make sure, you are not running cam bolts on your axle, are you?

I'll give it a go.

I'm not running cam bolts as far as I know. They're an aftermarket thing aren't they?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I'll give it a go.

I'm not running cam bolts as far as I know. They're an aftermarket thing aren't they?

Just checking. I know a lot of shops will install them with a lift as it's a cheap way to get your caster set. Only problem with them is that they can come loose with off roading and that will change your caster.

chipper

I just put a 3" enforcer lift on my 2014 JKU. With 35" tires. I just did the alignment, because of a small trip I have to make today. Tomorrow I will be installing a synergy drag link flip kit. Will I need to do another alignment when I'm done ?

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I just put a 3" enforcer lift on my 2014 JKU. With 35" tires. I just did the alignment, because of a small trip I have to make today. Tomorrow I will be installing a synergy drag link flip kit. Will I need to do another alignment when I'm done ?

You should only need to recenter your steering wheel

chipper

I would tape your steering wheel at top dead center and then tape the dash so you can adjust it back to where it needs to be.

Great idea. I'll do that. I also read on here where someone tied the steering up so it wouldn't move. I'll do that too. Thanks

Wizard

I've been playing around with this over the last couple of days, and with the help of a couple of PM's to and from Eddie (thanks heaps :thumb:), I think I may have got my castor angle into a better range.

I downloaded a couple of angle finding apps for the iPhone, and started checking what the alignment shop had set my castor at, and although my Jeep was driving well, the numbers I got were a little unusual and I think some of this was due to the app I was using (so downloaded a better one), and I also suspect that maybe the castor was set a little wrong at the shop.

I decided to shorten my front LCA a bit to try and get a better angle between the pinion and tailshaft. Before I did anything I marked the adjusters on the CA's just incase I had to return them to their original position if my adjustments made things worse. I tried shortening the arms by one complete turn on the Synergy double adjuster sleeve, then took it for a drive which didn't reveal any bad effects (maybe slightly better). I've now adjusted it a further turn and will take it for another test drive tomorrow.

I've ended up with an angle of 1.5° on the front diff pinion flange, and a reading of 4.5° on the top of the ball joint. Hope that sounds alright to you gurus.

With over 2500 kms (almost 1600 mile) to drive over the coming weeks, I'm hoping I've got it right, and the Jeep will steer well and have little or no driveline vibration. Time will tell.

If it hadn't been for this alignment write up by Eddie as well as the follow up help, I wouldn't have been game to touch this stuff, and would still be battling with driveline vibration. So thanks again.

Last edited:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Well after three tries I think I finally got my steering wheel re-centered. Thank you for the write up.

Jackal01

I am finally getting around to installing my Currie LCAs. They didn't come with any directions (should they have?). Other than the DIY Alignment Write Up is there a thread or anything that gives the steps and approximate lengths for a JKU? I looked a decent bit with Google and found bits and pieces but nothing that instilled confidence in me. Any input or advice is appreciated. I am mostly just looking for the starting length for a 2.5" lift on a JKU. The caster is still around 4 degrees, correct? And where are the zerk fittings positioned?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I am finally getting around to installing my Currie LCAs. They didn't come with any directions (should they have?). Other than the DIY Alignment Write Up is there a thread or anything that gives the steps and approximate lengths for a JKU? I looked a decent bit with Google and found bits and pieces but nothing that instilled confidence in me. Any input or advice is appreciated. I am mostly just looking for the starting length for a 2.5" lift on a JKU. The caster is still around 4 degrees, correct? And where are the zerk fittings positioned?

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write...rangler-4-flex-arm-lift-installation-write-up

The info you need starts around step 20.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I forgot about that write up. I have read it before. Thanks. The only issue can think of is how to move the axle forwards since the axle is dropped in the lift-thread.

Move it forward? To give you room to reinstall the control arm? Just play with the axle on a floor jack and it will move in and out as you raise and lower it.

srosario

My front tires are wearing more in the inside, I have new synergy ball joints installed. What can I doo.

srosario

Would the toe being of, wear the inside of the tire, I though that only the camber cause the wear, but I have new ball joints.

Top Bottom