Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Guess I gotta do it... But the scanner will say if it's the wheel of center? . Well thanks for ur input I appreciate it!

One last thing, any chance you could have damaged your clock spring tape? That would give you the same problem but, your ABS light would be on too.

Jersey_Devil

One last thing, any chance you could have damaged your clock spring tape? That would give you the same problem but, your ABS light would be on too.

No abs light. But what is and where is the clock spring tape?

Sent from my SCH-I905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
No abs light. But what is and where is the clock spring tape?

It's inside your steering column. If you let it spin freely too far one direction or the other, you could have damaged it.

Jersey_Devil

It's inside your steering column. If you let it spin freely too far one direction or the other, you could have damaged it.

No there's no way my wheel moved during installation.... I used the boom on my buddies tow truck to lift it up and hold everything in place uploadfromtaptalk1375651752398.jpg

Jersey_Devil

I'm gonna stop at the dealer tomorrow after work and have Em scan it and see. Maybe the long drive to work will correct it. Maybe I just didn't drive it far enough. Thanks again for all ur input!

Jersey_Devil

When in doubt drive it out! I took her for another ride and not even 30 seconds into the ride the lights all turned off!

jeffd

so I set my toe to about 1/8" or I should say it was that way. I hold my angle sensor on the flat holes on the front axle and both show 0* or 90* depending which way I have it on. seems like almost exactly 4* on the ball joint. My axle is offset about a 1/4-5/16"" to the drivers side, is this an issue or not? 2" tera flex coil spring with just the stock spacer and actual lift on the front is 1 3/4". thanks

jeffd

so I set my toe to about 1/8" or I should say it was that way. I hold my angle sensor on the flat holes on the front axle and both show 0* or 90* depending which way I have it on. seems like almost exactly 4* on the ball joint. My axle is offset about a 1/4-5/16"" to the drivers side, is this an issue or not? 2" tera flex coil spring with just the stock spacer and actual lift on the front is 1 3/4". thanks

So for kicks decided to have it professionally checked on an alignment rack by the pros. I was pretty close on saster 3.9* on driver and 3.7* on passenger. Camber was -0.05* both sides and tow was 3/32" on driver and 1/16" on passenger so that needed a little adjustment but that was it. Lasers work better then steel tape measures lol.

BBrown626

I installed Evo bolt-on coilovers last weekend. They resulted in a change in my lift, so I knew some alignment fine tuning would be required. I did need to change caster a bit. This thread was a good reference. I used it when I installed my first lift a couple years ago too.

Thank you!

prm9mm

Awesome

Thanks for this thread!!!
I just had my jeep lifted 2.5 inches and put 35"s on it. Looked great, steering was a mess. I used this to understand why, align it, added shorter upper control arms and longer lowers to correct the caster and it is now 100% better!

Wizard

Trying to learn a bit here, so first up I've checking a few things on my front axle, with regard to toe in.

I've measured between the two front tyres and find that I have a toe in of about 4-5 mm (bit over 1/8"), which is probably on the outer limits of what it should be according to this guide.

Is this close enough/acceptable?

If I decrease the toe in slightly, would I expect the Jeep to be more or less flighty/wandery on the road?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Trying to learn a bit here, so first up I've checking a few things on my front axle, with regard to toe in.

I've measured between the two front tyres and find that I have a toe in of about 4-5 mm (bit over 1/8"), which is probably on the outer limits of what it should be according to this guide.

Is this close enough/acceptable?

If I decrease the toe in slightly, would I expect the Jeep to be more or less flighty/wandery on the road?

What you can expect by decreasing your toe is better tire wear. If you're Jeep is feeling flighty/wandery, you need to add a bit more positive caster. What is yours set at?

Wizard

What you can expect by decreasing your toe is better tire wear. If you're Jeep is feeling flighty/wandery, you need to add a bit more positive caster. What is yours set at?

Not sure on the caster setting. I don't really have the tools (angle finder) to check that out. I tried using an app on my phone yesterday after reading this guide, but struggled to get readings which made any sense or matched up to what it should be.

My Jeep is driving great at the moment, but I will be buying an angle finder to try and check some of this stuff myself over time.

Top Bottom