Axle options for 37s

JordanAycock

Hey guys!
I'm budgeting and wanting to upgrade to 37's, but I still have stock axles so I'm curious what my best options are to upgrade axles & gear ratio. Is it better to upgrade and replace, or would it be better to just buy new/better axles that come with higher gears in it?
It's a 2014 JK Sahara.

Thanks

MericaMade

Save and buy new if you can. Most run 5.13s on 37s. Check out Dana Spicer, Fusion, or Currie for axles packages.

wjtstudios

Hooked
For the most part, the rear axle is fine. You just need to upgrade the gears to match what you set up the front with and add a Eaton or ARB locker to it. For the front, the most cost affective solid option is ordering the Dana UD44 and running that up there. I agree with the 5:13s for the gear ratio

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys!
I'm budgeting and wanting to upgrade to 37's, but I still have stock axles so I'm curious what my best options are to upgrade axles & gear ratio. Is it better to upgrade and replace, or would it be better to just buy new/better axles that come with higher gears in it?
It's a 2014 JK Sahara.

Thanks
As others have mentioned, your rear axle will be all that you need. In a lot of ways, it's better than a Rubicon 44 being that the axle shafts are the same length and you just need to carry one spare. Upgrade the shafts to 35 splines and you're good to go. Up front, the most cost effective solution is to leave your front differential open and run a set of chromoly shafts with full circle clips. That will hold you for a long time. 5.13 is the gear ratio you'd want to run but in a Dana 30, I would not recommend going any higher than 4.88 and anything more will leave you with a very small pinion. The most cost effective solution for an axle replacement would be a Dana UD44 and they're typically readily available. With that, 5.13 would be the way to go.

Jkratt

I have a JKU sport and went with the Dynatrac Trail Leader Package. ProRock 44 up front and new axle shafts for the rear, both with ARB Locker. Went with 4:88 gears as I drive it everyday. 37 inch tires and the combo has not let me down. We have all thrown good money away on bad parts and temporary fixes. Save up and ditch the Dana 30 and buy one of the premium axles mentioned and new axle shafts for the rear.

MericaMade

So have you all pretty much abandoned Dynatrac?
No and I've said before they make a great product peroid, but their customer service and lack thereof and massive delays is the reason why I don't recommend them.

Part of the delay now is the pandemic but even prior to the pandemic their build times were still ridiculously long.

dyh888

I have a JKU Sport with Dana 30, ARB lockers with 4.56 gears on 37 KO2. I have just over 107k miles and it has not failed me yet. I am gentle and not much rocks for me. Just run it until it breaks.

dyh888

I guess it depends on what you hope to use your jeep for, but I’d hate to drive it till it breaks in the middle of a trail and ruins the day or the trip for the whole group working to fix something that the axle that was never meant to handle.

just my two cents
I do agree with you on breaking down on the trail but you have to start somewhere. I say YOLO and be gentle until you save up for a UD44. I made it this long but my driving style is gentle and I try to avoid the rocks.

wjtstudios

Hooked
Just by a 3rd hand PR44 from PA then Menifee, CA with miles that nearly match what's in your ODO and a gear ratio that you plan to put in the rear. It's been holding up great under my Jeep parked in the garage for the last several months...haha
Ahh, the joys of a new baby in the house

Top Bottom