Average TJ Build

Nice build!! 230k is just breaking in a jeep!
It probably has about another 20k on it. I drove it for a couple years without a speedo sensor so those miles didn’t get counted.

Finished up the gearing. Installed the transfercase drop to bandaid the problems until I find a good deal on a sye. Reinstalled swaybar links, ghetto quick disconnects broke awhile back. Fully functional Jeep again, woo.
IMG_1247.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg

Had a productive weekend, it’s been down for a week due to a bad connection at the fuel pump. I cut off the harness from the parts Jeep and soldered it on and good to go. Also grabbed some other parts for the next little project I’ve been wanting to do. So if you didn’t know, Jeep used like 5 different ac compressors on the 4.0l between 95-00 and like no parts interchange including the mount. Since I had a whole parts car I just stole all the parts. You can see the difference in brackets the larger one is off the 98 ZJ smaller one is what came on my 97 tj without installed ac.
IMG_1339.jpg
IMG_1341.jpg

So swapped the brackets, slapped on the compressor, and on board air is just a few parts away.

Took a drive out to the local trails to go fishing, didn’t catch any fish but managed to hook a 4 door. Came across this high centered jku with no owners around. Eventually found them walking around the trails looking for help, got them tugged out.
IMG_1356.jpg
IMG_1354.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

What a PITA for such a common motor. Glad you got it hooked up though.

Yeah, well the pita didn’t stop there. I got some connections the belt and ran the wiring for it. Except one little detail. I misread or misremembered the wiring diagram for the ac pulley clutch and hooked it up backwards. Facepalm. Fried the magnetic coil somehow. Now it just shorts whichever way it’s hooked up. Eff. Effity eff eff eff. Soooo I guess I’ll be swinging by the junkyard for either a new clutch or another ac compressor. Damnit. Oh well, project derailed by stupidity. Miller time.

IMG_1374.jpg
IMG_1375.jpg

Victory. Junkyard to the rescue.

Need to add a pressure kill switch and bend a piece of sheet metal for a nice bracket mount and it’s ready to go. Probably should add a air tool Oiler as well so it doesn’t seize.

IMG_1402.jpg
IMG_1403.jpg
IMG_1404.jpg

Looking good

That will be handy

Hopefully. I’m thinking a 3-5 gallonish tank will fit safely under the skid plate, just not sure I like the idea of putting a compressed air tank underneath the passenger compartment. Waiting on my pressure switch to come in from amazon, picked up a inline Oiler from harbor freight, still need to fabricate a nice mount for it all so it’s not flopping around the engine bay and zip ties to random things like it is now.

Also did a thing....
IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1431.jpg
IMG_1445.jpg
IMG_1446.jpg

I immediately dislike that even though they’re chrome reflectors they look black because they’re reflecting the middle black piece. Makes the grille look wayyy darker. Haven’t driven in the dark yet to see if they’re worth keeping, still need to aim them. I’ll find out on my commute to work in the morning if they’re at least better than the stock sylvania sealed units. For $60 on eBay if they don’t leak moisture and fog up, for a direct rip off of truck light, I’ll be happy.

Yep. Rear control arm mount. Sadly the other three have have already been patched this was the last of oe frame. Just really sick of having to repair the frame. Don’t want to get a new one bc the tubs been repaired too it’s just pointless.

Finished (for now) the OBA project. It airs up a 35 pretty quickly if you hold the throttle a little. Can’t wait to try out the impact gun. I’ll make a mount for the connection next time I’m bored at the shop.
IMG_1557.jpg
IMG_1564.jpg

Strodinator

Caught the Bug
Yep. Rear control arm mount. Sadly the other three have have already been patched this was the last of oe frame. Just really sick of having to repair the frame. Don’t want to get a new one bc the tubs been repaired too it’s just pointless.

Finished (for now) the OBA project. It airs up a 35 pretty quickly if you hold the throttle a little. Can’t wait to try out the impact gun. I’ll make a mount for the connection next time I’m bored at the shop.
View attachment 309643
View attachment 309644

You gotta shoot me the info on that oba setup. Not like I don't have enough to keep myself busy but that's interesting.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

You gotta shoot me the info on that oba setup. Not like I don't have enough to keep myself busy but that's interesting.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

It’s pretty straight forward. Find an ac compressor and cut the lines as far back as you can (the output gets hot and will melt air hose if too close) put an automatic Oiler on the intake side since the Pump doesn’t have its own oil reservoir and is lubricated by the Freon mix. Barb fitting into the output hose to a T with a basic pressure switch, I went with 120psi turn on 150psi turn off, and a quick connect. Run 12v from a switch inside to the pressure switch to the electric clutch on the compressor. Done. Hit the gas and fill your tires fast.

Good luck. Looks like a lot of work.

I’m really getting sick of this. Just when you think you got it all you hit a pothole and it starts all over again. I would swap a new frame on but the tubs been repaired so much it’s not worth it. I would sell it and start fresh but the things so damn patched I couldn’t get anything for it. I’d part it but all the parts are near rusted or shot or so many of them out there makes them worthless. Just frustrating always fixing never fun lately. You can see in that picture the only thing that saved it from completely falling is the previous patch on the outside of the frame.

Somebody’s gonna hate me for this. If you’re up to repairing that much frame rot, have you considered just back halfing the thing?

You mean chopping and building all the way back? I already replaced axle back, mid frame that holds skid plate, front ca mounts, front bumper attachment point on both sides.

Looks like the average TJ I see around the Midwest.

I think I’ve got most of them beat lately... I keep seeing partouts in better shape 🤦🏻*♂️

I-Eat-Mud

You mean chopping and building all the way back? I already replaced axle back, mid frame that holds skid plate, front ca mounts, front bumper attachment point on both sides.

Chopping and tubing out the back is what I mean. halfed tj.jpg

That is what I wish I had done to my TJ. I sold it due to frame rot, and if I could go back in time; I would have just done something like this. Obviously this isn't for everyone, and certainly not for a daily driver.

Ahh I gotcha. Yeah this thing is destined for trail rig classification at some point but it’s still daily for now.

Got her patched up for now. Forgot to buy good paint. Will redo later when I have time. It won’t kill me, for now at least until the next pot hole.

If nothing else it At least can fill my r6 tires in 10 seconds flat

IMG_1683.jpg

Top Bottom