aTX's Tru WW Evo bolt on coilover build

madstiles

At what point does backspace become excessive? I have 4.5" wheels with the 2" spacers that I had with the stock wheels. I bent a flange on the rear on my '14 JKUR, with 3.5" and prematurely wore out the stock ball joints, but cannot tie it directly to wheel offset. I have to imagine 2.5" is worse, but to what degree? I was considering buying a set of 1.25" spacers, which will back it down to 3.25", but do not want to buy them unless I need to.
I don't know of its worse or better but I'm pretty sure the minimum spacer size is 1.5" without cutting the wheel studs shorter. Just a heads up

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

Updates on the build. The problem I was having with the ABS sensor was related to the steering wheel being slightly off since breaking / rewarding my drag link last week. I was too lazy to adjust it knowing that I had solid aluminum replacement links on the way. Over the past week, I installed a CB, some Riged Dually's for the a-pillar and fab'd up some lower rear control arms. I was planning on making some front uppers, but made a mistake and ordered the wrong tube inserts, so I had to overnight some replacements. I also ordered Rock Hard aluminum skids, Evo rock rails and front d-ring mounts.

Had a buddy from a local shop let me borrow his ramp to make sure there weren't any interferences at full bump.

Attachments

• IMG_0506.jpg
    IMG_0506.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 361
  • IMG_0504.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:

Mybadjk

Caught the Bug
Updates on the build. The problem I was having with the ABS sensor was related to the steering wheel being slightly off since breaking / rewarding my drag link last week. I was too lazy to adjust it knowing that I had solid aluminum replacement links on the way. Over the past week, I installed a CB, some Riged Dually's for the a-pillar and fab'd up some lower rear control arms. I was planning on making some front uppers, but made a mistake and ordered the wrong tube inserts, so I had to overnight some replacements. I also ordered Rock Hard aluminum skids, Evo rock rails and front d-ring mounts.

Had a buddy from a local shop let me borrow his ramp to make sure there weren't any interferences at full bump.

Glad you got it figured out. Always a pain trying to source problems.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

aTX427

For those with the Evo coilers, how much up travel should I set the ride height at? I have about 5.5" in the front now and it seems like I am sky high.

aTX427

I have an issue with death wobble now. I know one of my TRE's on my drag link is going out and I haven't checked the ball joints, but everything else is solid. I suspect the Evo axle side raised track bar mount is moving because I didn't weld it in place and it is being amplified by the 2.5" backspace I'm running.

I think I have the death wobble figured out. It was a combination of wheel offset, a bad drag link tre, a bent tie rod tre toeing in the front wheels and me being lazy and not checking the caster. I used the baseline numbers from the installation guide, which had my caster at about 8*.

aTX427

Latest updates - installed an aluminum Rock Hard transmission / oil pan skid, a solid 7075 tie rod and drag link, and fab'd up some front upper control arms with 7/8" - 3/4" hardened rod ends.

aTX427

Been in Colorado all week putting this build to a test and it rolled everything I put in front of it. Not only that, but it is super stable off camber.

Last edited:

Kyle7R

Been in Colorado all week putting this build to a test and it rolled everything I put in front of it. It only that, but it is super stable off camber.
Waiting patiently for some more pics. Seeing that thing in action this weekend was a treat.

aTX427

I added a few odds and ends before I left for Colorado.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.jpg
    IMG_0576.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 453
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0530.jpg
    IMG_0530.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 499

aTX427

Thank you. It performed much better than expected on our shake down trip to Colorado. We walked every obstacle on the hard line on Holy Cross up to the city and back. Super stable off camber as well. I cannot wait to get long arms.

Attachments

• IMG_0537.jpg
    IMG_0537.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_0627.jpg
    IMG_0627.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 508
  • IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_0666.jpg
    IMG_0666.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_0640.jpg
    IMG_0640.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 471
  • IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 458

aTX427

Looks great. It was nice meeting you. Hope you make it out again soon.

It was great seeing you rolling around with the kiddo's. I will be back out to Colorado next 4th of July at the latest. We are doing a 10 day trip to Moab over New Years if you are interested.

Top Bottom