Are You Happy with Your EVO Bolt-On Coil Over Springs?

Are you happy with the spring rates that came on your EVO Bolt-On Coil Overs?

• Yes, I am competely satified with the spring rates I got out of the box.

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • No. I wish they came with a softer spring rate

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • No. I wish they came with a heavier spring rate

Votes: 34 57.6%

• Total voters

Havoc40

Do either of you two have more than usual weight in the rear for the more heavier spring load than front? What overall lift did you set at? Do you prefer a more stiff ride? Is your set up more towards high speed rather than rocks? Sorry for 20 questions lol! I have a guy that gets these springs for a decent deal and I'm just about to pull the trigger

Adam already answered the bulk of this but, I'll share my thoughts. This combination was designed for daily driving and providing a softer ride. I live in the Detroit area and we have some pretty horrendous roads. When I first installed the coilovers I thought they were great but that slowly deteriorated as I got used to them. I came up with these rates after talking with some of my Ultra4 customers, PAC springs, and doing some calculations. The goal was to ride mostly on the softer upper spring, have the stiffer lower spring soak up big bumps, and try to minimize hitting the bump stops. My rig is pretty heavy having 37" Nittos with ATX Slabs, LoD Gen.IV shorty rear, PSC shorty front, Warn Zeon 10S, EVO sliders, skins, and full skid plates. I'm constantly on the rear bump stops. The only negative to this setup is overall lift height due to spring lengths and weights. You're pretty much stuck with around 4" of lift (I'm pretty sure Adam's will settle). You also can't add a whole bunch more preload because of coil bind concerns. Adam did a great job on the install and I'm happy to hear it worked out so well! Mine will be installed here soon.

Last edited:

MOOK

Adam already answered the bulk of this but, I'll share my thoughts. This combination was designed for daily driving and providing a softer ride. I live in the Detroit area and we have some pretty horrendous roads. When I first installed the coilovers I thought they were great but that slowly deteriorated as I got used to them. I came up with these rates after talking with some of my Ultra4 customers, PAC springs, and doing some calculations. The goal was to ride mostly on the softer upper spring, have the stiffer lower spring soak up big bumps, and try to minimize hitting the bump stops. My rig is pretty heavy having 37" Nittos with ATX Slabs, LoD Gen.IV shorty rear, PSC shorty front, Warn Zeon 10S, EVO sliders, skins, and full skid plates. I'm constantly on the rear bump stops. The only negative to this setup is overall lift height due to spring lengths and weights. You're pretty much stuck with around 4" of lift (I'm pretty sure Adam's will settle). You also can't add a whole bunch more preload because of coil bind concerns. Adam did a great job on the install and I'm happy to hear it worked out so well! Mine will be installed here soon.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1460993771.760441.jpg this is how mine sits now. It's at 4.5front, just over 4 in the rear now. In comparison to our rear setup, I have the same rear bumper/carrier with 20in slabs/40x1550 nitto muds. Armor is closely the same as well. My rear is way to soft. Front has to much pre load. Do you think I should aim for a heavier spring setup than you've went with to set around 4.75in of lift? Mine is mainly daily driven and for rocks. In my mind in thinking 250/325fr 275/325rear. Being heavier in the rear am I under estimating this?

Havoc40

View attachment 199119 this is how mine sits now. It's at 4.5front, just over 4 in the rear now. In comparison to our rear setup, I have the same rear bumper/carrier with 20in slabs/40x1550 nitto muds. Armor is closely the same as well. My rear is way to soft. Front has to much pre load. Do you think I should aim for a heavier spring setup than you've went with to set around 4.75in of lift? Mine is mainly daily driven and for rocks. In my mind in thinking 250/325fr 275/325rear. Being heavier in the rear am I under estimating this?

Honestly, I think you'll be surprised at what the 225 front upper will provide in combination with the 325 lower. It's my understanding (read hearsay) that these PAC springs are slightly different than King's and would be similar to their 250lb spring. You won't need as much preload because the stiffer lower is going to provide you with the lift. You're obviously going to be heavier in the rear than either of us due to the 20" slabs and 40's but, I think this combo would still work well for you. Because the rear shock body is shorter than the front, you're sort of limited on how heavy you can go back there. As you can see from Adam's pictures, the 10" 275 and 12" 325 cuts it REALLY close with almost zero preload. This combination allows for just over 14" of travel in the rear, and about 15.5" of travel up front before coil bind. So at most you can preload 1.5" in the rear and 2.5" up front.

T&ERun

LOSER
Another hypocritical ass deleting posts. I thought posts were never deleted on WOL? Lol

Nevermind. Found the new thread. My posts were relocated

MOOK

Honestly, I think you'll be surprised at what the 225 front upper will provide in combination with the 325 lower. It's my understanding (read hearsay) that these PAC springs are slightly different than King's and would be similar to their 250lb spring. You won't need as much preload because the stiffer lower is going to provide you with the lift. You're obviously going to be heavier in the rear than either of us due to the 20" slabs and 40's but, I think this combo would still work well for you. Because the rear shock body is shorter than the front, you're sort of limited on how heavy you can go back there. As you can see from Adam's pictures, the 10" 275 and 12" 325 cuts it REALLY close with almost zero preload. This combination allows for just over 14" of travel in the rear, and about 15.5" of travel up front before coil bind. So at most you can preload 1.5" in the rear and 2.5" up front.

Thank you for the fast response, helps me greatly! I'm waiting for a price quote and possibly have these ordered up today

MOOK

Front - 225/325
Rear - 275/325.

Ordered these in black today, same specs as above. Will follow up with how they do once installed. Hopefully have it set up before I hit Windrock the 30th this month. Thanks utiadam and havoc40 for your input and help

utiadam

LOSER
Ordered these in black today, same specs as above. Will follow up with how they do once installed. Hopefully have it set up before I hit Windrock the 30th this month. Thanks utiadam and havoc40 for your input and help

Awesome! Black should be sweet!

Heavyhaul07

If anyone that has swap out there original springs for heavier rates are anyone wanting to part with them. If this is not allowed in here please delete. I'm looking for some used springs to try on a friends jeep. Without breaking the bank. Thank you. I'll also post in the wanted side

WJCO

Meme King
If anyone that has swap out there original springs for heavier rates are anyone wanting to part with them. If this is not allowed in here please delete. I'm looking for some used springs to try on a friends jeep. Without breaking the bank. Thank you. I'll also post in the wanted side

Please do. This thread got hella-hijacked already. Also check Craigslist.

Havoc40

Awesome! Anxious to hear how it does. Once I get mine installed I'm going to start playing with valving. I have everything sitting and waiting...just haven't had the time. I think for your setup you're going to benefit a lot from different valving.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
If you really want to see something jacked up this was my preload with the 200/250 right rear

View attachment 198913

I guess my jeep is kinda light as I dont carry much but with my 200/250 my preload is set around 1-1/4" from the top maybe. Still feel I dont have the timing rings set right tho out back but it seems to ride fine for me.

Hammmerhead

Wow.... I'm running 250/250 and I am cranked with preload on the passenger side, but that's nutz!!!!!!

This will make you feel better.

IMG_4649.jpg

Top Bottom