Apple TV

Speeddmn

Who has one, likes/dislikes? Didnt see a thread on it and trying to figure mine out more. I got it mainly for music and to stream movies from my laptop to the tv. Recently it seems to be doing the lag/buffering thing. When I first got it, it worked great. software is up to date and it's within range of my router, less than 3 feet since my room is small. Anyone have any ideas?

My likes are that it works for my purpose for music and such. Dislikes currently are the buffering thing, and when i use the remote my itunes on my laptop plays also.. need to find a way to disconnect the remote to my laptop... ideas?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We have one and have the same problem. When it works, it's great but more times than lately, it's been having issue with buffering. Also, I used to use the Radio app to listen to tunes but find it ridiculous that you can't bookmark stations that you like. Sure, you can do that with the iTunes radio now but, it doesn't have stations like the other Radio app has.

jmatta33

I have yet to figure what exactly apple tv is... does it just link movies and music from your computer or something...? not trying to derail the thread, just wondering what its all about.

jgrove12

I had one and after a friend got a chrome cast I had to get one. I've had no problems with it one bit and it's a fraction of the price. Doesn't sync up with a home network like the Apple TV but I never used that feature to begin with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Speeddmn

I have yet to figure what exactly apple tv is... does it just link movies and music from your computer or something...? not trying to derail the thread, just wondering what its all about.

So I'm 100% on what all it does, but what I know it will do is nice. Connect to your wifi, connects to any apple product you have including your iMac, or Mac book pro/etc and will stream your pictures/music from that. Connect to netflix, hulu etc and stream movies/videos. if you are watching a youtube video on your phone/ipad and want others to watch, will connect to the tv and then its easier to view.

Like I said I got it mainly to stream movies from my mac book pro. I have a long hdmi cable but an older laptop that dosent have the hdmi output. So i had an adpater but the wires inside started to break aprt and had become un trustworthy.

Speeddmn

We have one and have the same problem. When it works, it's great but more times than lately, it's been having issue with buffering. Also, I used to use the Radio app to listen to tunes but find it ridiculous that you can't bookmark stations that you like. Sure, you can do that with the iTunes radio now but, it doesn't have stations like the other Radio app has.

OK, so I'm not the only one then. Asked a couple others locally I work with and seems to be normal ish. Some times it does it more often than usual. Just seems odd and hope it gets fixed during the next software update.

07JKSahara

OK, so I'm not the only one then. Asked a couple others locally I work with and seems to be normal ish. Some times it does it more often than usual. Just seems odd and hope it gets fixed during the next software update.

Same here, we've had it since it was brand new. Buffering is spotty, but AirPlay is nice so we keep it.

hydrohut

Hey you guys having the buffering problem do a bit of googling and you will find Apple has a replacement programme for a whole bunch of faulty ones. They don't shout it from the roof tops in typical Apple style but if yours has the correct serial number and you dig and push a bit you might get it replaced as I just have. I found out about this fault when one of mine started the buffering thing and turned out I could drop it into the store I purchased from and they sent it off and in due course I got a brand new one that works fine. Eddie, you should be able to bookmark your radio stations, I have been doing it on mine for a long time. There is an option somewhere in the menus when you are on the station.

Speeddmn

Hey you guys having the buffering problem do a bit of googling and you will find Apple has a replacement programme for a whole bunch of faulty ones. They don't shout it from the roof tops in typical Apple style but if yours has the correct serial number and you dig and push a bit you might get it replaced as I just have. I found out about this fault when one of mine started the buffering thing and turned out I could drop it into the store I purchased from and they sent it off and in due course I got a brand new one that works fine. Eddie, you should be able to bookmark your radio stations, I have been doing it on mine for a long time. There is an option somewhere in the menus when you are on the station.

Awesome, thats good news. Issue I have is I'm stationed in S. Korea and no car so finding an Apple store is hard in a Samsung world!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, you should be able to bookmark your radio stations, I have been doing it on mine for a long time. There is an option somewhere in the menus when you are on the station.

Okay, I guess I'm just a retard but, what menus are you referring to? When I'm on the Radio app (not iTunes Radio), if I click on the menu button, it just takes me out to the previous screen. :idontknow:

jgrove12

I don't know why I didn't mention I had the same problems as you haha my bad. I rock 100 mbps dl and 15 mbps up with a gaming router and had buffering constantly. what generation do you have? My buddy was an apple genius. He said it was a common problem with them except the for gen 1s or at least he didn't see as much of a problem with that model, but that may have been because many people jailbroke the 1st gens which voids warranty.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

JAGS

Hooked
Any issues are clearly installer error. 😉 lol. Why? Cuz I'm an apple fan boy and they can do no wrong. Ha ha

In all seriousness, I don't have A-TV yet but was considering one very soon. Good to know about issues and will keep an eye on the thread for others.

Apple is usually pretty good about software updates to address consumer complaints. Hopefully it's a matter of when and not if the issues mentioned by some are fixed.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

I have long enjoyed the AppleTV. Streaming media from my phone for family members to see on the big screen. Netflix. iTunes rentals. Youtube. News. (I'm what you call a "wire cutter"). Using it as a 61" monitor with my iMac...wirelessly. Get my movies and TV shows for free and use VLC full screen on another desktop (OS X users should understand) on it to watch them. The early third generation ones had an issue with the wifi chip and Apple issued a recall program so you can get a new one. Buffering issues could be from this. Mine is eligible for the recall although I have no issues with my extremely heavy use of my AppleTV.

IBeHeWhoIsJoshua

Keep in mind that buffering could be many things and not just the AppleTV. Not defending the AppleTV...but wireless networks can be the culprit...even ethernet...its a delicate cable with a lot of tiny tiny wires inside it. My experience with buffering issues has usually been poor service by my ISP's. But as I mentioned, the early third generation ones were recalled (quietly) for the wifi chip.

hydrohut

I have two and they are both 3rd gen. Apparently the buffering thing started after one of the software updates (just what I've read on the internet so it must be true) and couldn't be reversed with another update, something like that (apple don't talk publicly about issues like this) If you have a 3rd gen with those issues you should push for a replacement. I did all the other things like checking my wifi and internet speed before I started looking on Google for possible solutions and that's when I discovered the replacement programme. I'm a complete Apple nut, sometimes their devices drive me crazy but I wouldn't be without them.
Eddie, I'm away on holiday at the mo and would need to be back home in front of my tv to work out the steps required to bookmark your stations. If some one else can't help you on here I will look at that next week.
Edit. Try this. While listening to the station, hold down the Select button on the remote for a second, It will ask you if you want to "Add Station to Favorites".

Last edited:

Dean454

We have three of them and very happy with them but lately they will reboot right in the middle of watching something. We have to wait for it to reboot and start watching again

Top Bottom