Anyone self quarantined? AKA - the 2020 SH!T SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ddays

Hooked
The cynical side of me answers as follows: because it tends to kill people of a certain age group, the same people who happen to be in control of pretty much everything in our society.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Very true. Whereas H1N1 hit the younger generation. The over 50 group had an immunity built in from earlier strains.

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
Anyone self quarantined?

The issue really lies in the R value of the virus.... The flu has an R of 1 or just shy of 1 meaning for every 1 person that gets it they can infect 1. That is a level line and something our health Care system can manage. Corona is sitting in the 2.5 range which causes exponential growth and will over run the hospitals so people that wouldn't normally die from the flu or corona, or a heart attack or any illness that makes them an inpatient, might. The social distancing and business closures is an external way to try to lower the R value. If we did nothing the R would be more.

I agree that more people will probably die from the flu and the math suggests this isn't a big deal but knowing what I know about my local hospitals they can't support even 10 new inpatients of any nature. So if we let a virus with the potential for exponential growth run though the town a lot more people will die. And not just from corona but anything that requires a hospital for life support. Corona is just really contagious where influenza is not.

Stats can always be swayed in the way you want but the issue really isn't the virus itself it's what it's going to do to our health care system if it runs wild.

I'm sure there will be tons of back patting around the world for people who don't deserve it when this is over but I just pray this brings to light how under staffed and overworked health care system is in the end.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app
[emoji115]spot on

This concept should be easy to grasp but isn’t . Flu is bad and it kills many a year (600k plus) but adding another virus that doesn’t have a vaccine and which overloads hospital capacity means we will be choosing who dies based on triage which isn’t something that happens to flu victims who can get treatment .

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone self quarantined?

Man, I’m so glad there are doomsayers on this “Jeep forum” to save us all. You guys really are making so much of a difference. [emoji1303]

Me...

IMG_3291.JPG

CHEERS 🤪

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Why would that surprise anyone? Confirmed cases is just a function of the number of tests available and given...it doesn’t mean that 6,500 new people caught the virus in two days. On top of that, the vast majority of people with “confirmed cases” should just be sent home to ride it out away from everyone.

I bet if we could test the population as a whole right now, the number of positive tests could very easily be in the hundreds of thousands. Again though, that number is, in many respects, meaningless. Where it has value is for directing resources to quantifiable hot zones and tracing contacts to confirmed cases.

You have a good head on your shoulders, my friend.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
What’s really going to piss me off is. The god damn circle jerk in a few weeks. All the patting themselves on the back that will take place. From politicians to media and the Facebook/Instagram kooks. “We stopped the corona virus by the quick and tenacious action we all took.” Saying it now. Fuck off

And besides. The last thing millennials need is another atta boy.

Lol. I was thinking the same thing, yesterday.

Regular flu strain data from the CDC

Overall, the CDC estimates that 12,000 and 61,000 deaths annually since 2010 can be blamed on the flu (in the US).
Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.

So far Corvid 19 has infected 340,000, and 14,500 have died. That is worldwide.

look, I'm not downplaying anything, but how is this strain any more deadly than Influenza A & B? Why is everyone shitting their pants?

Flu doesn’t hospitalize 20% of infected and force them onto a respirator. Flu doesn’t spread at a high infection rate that it completely overwhelms healthcare and people are left drowning in their own fluids to die. SARS cov2(aka Covid-19, coronavirus) does. Read some medical articles (not news articles that blame yellow people) and you can see why it’s a big deal and necessary to try to limit spread.

Unlike Brute, I AM bitching.
But I also have memes
IMG_6357.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Umm, I’m yellow people [emoji848]

Oh, and I feel safer from your bitching. Thank you. :thumb:

No back patting going on in Italy...why is everyone so sure that cannot happen here?...cause we murica?...

A ton of differences with us and Italy.

And I’m not sure of anything. But in the philosophical words of one OverlanderJK “we may all die next week, but I sure as hell ain’t gonna worry about it this week”.

IMG_3832.JPG .
IMG_3833.jpg .
IMG_3834.jpg .
Adjustments.jpg .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom