Anyone self quarantined? AKA - the 2020 SH!T SHOW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Indiana just closed all schools until next fall

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

And no matter what kind of bullshit any school districts are spewing, public schools cannot give grades for the remainder of this year. Everything will turn into pass/fail...and even that may be difficult to get away with. ADA laws will prevent giving grades to ANY students where there were some students for which accommodations could not be made. It's a shit show...not doubt about it. There will be lawsuits about this very issue for years to come.

And no matter what kind of bullshit any school districts are spewing, public schools cannot give grades for the remainder of this year. Everything will turn into pass/fail...and even that may be difficult to get away with. ADA laws will prevent giving grades to ANY students where there were some students for which accommodations could not be made. It's a shit show...not doubt about it. There will be lawsuits about this very issue for years to come.

Wonder what this means for my neighbor kid that is a senior and already accepted to IU?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I actually had a really long response to this typed out, then I waited too long and got bumped. Shorter version, I believe this whole thing is a Kobayashi Maru. I can't answer your question because I don't know what the President really knew and when, and what he was being advised by the totality of his advisors (not just the medical advisors).

I don't like middle of the road actions...they have too many unintended consequences and they tend to drag on forever and lead to even more middle of the road actions. Based on what I know, I think we are taking a middle of the road approach to this that will not yield the overall results (saving lives in an order of magnitudes, preserving the economy, or shortening the length of time the virus is out there) that is intended by the actions taken.

I would have preferred (1) a nationwide mandatory 20 day lock down early on with no international or intrastate travel of any kind (at least be honest with me that you are taking my liberties away for a short period of time and make it so that time cannot be extended); or, (2) a shelter in place suggestion for those at risk while everyone else was given the choice to accept risk and let the virus quickly burn through the healthy population (modified herd immunity with the understanding, of course, there would still be some casualties.) I fully admit that all of my views on this subject could be completely wrong.

Here is one thing I am not wrong about though: I hope my government understands that my appetite for "sheltering in place" is not bottomless, and that I would rather die free than live bound.

Star Trek reference aside, in many respects I agree with you; the stumbling fed gov’t response has been a knee jerk reaction to how it politically affects someone’s ability to get re-elected...only after a realization of the seriousness of the illness was impressed upon our leaders by the scientific community, some of whom have real credibility in epidemiology world, did we begin to take steps that should have been taken two months ago. When did they know what was about to happen?...how about when several senators sold millions of dollars worth of stock to invest in companies that sold PPE back in February after a Senate Intelligence Committee meeting...apparently there was enough info then to make serious moves in one’s portfolio during a historic bull market that normally would not have made sense...

The strength of any administration is the core group of intellectual informed advisors surrounding the person who has to digest and interpret the data to make the best decision possible at the time...when you replace the experts in their respective fields with cheerleaders and yes men, you have what we have now...a real shit show...

I don’t think any level of government or elected official is prepared for any pandemic that can spread / elevate to this level. I think the president is surrounding himself with experts who are making the best recommendations based on available data, while also trying to not destroy American liberties or sink the economy. Those have long term destroying factors as well that MUST be considered (pretty sure I just now started to see less beggars from the 2009 recession and my construction friends were just seeing a nice rise in their industry).

There are bigger issues at play, like the SNS being neglected (spanning multiple administrations). They discussed it at previous briefings, in the realm of emergency preparedness/response, it is Federally Supported, State Managed, and Locally Executed. So to place any blame of preparedness / response solely on one level of govt or branch, is not a fair assessment.

I like Sharkeys Star Trek reference, it’s a no win scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I don’t think any level of government or elected official is prepared for any pandemic that can spread / elevate to this level. I think the president is surrounding himself with experts who are making the best recommendations based on available data, while also trying to not destroy American liberties or sink the economy. Those have long term destroying factors as well that MUST be considered (pretty sure I just now started to see less beggars from the 2009 recession and my construction friends were just seeing a nice rise in their industry).

There are bigger issues at play, like the SNS being neglected (spanning multiple administrations). They discussed it at previous briefings, in the realm of emergency preparedness/response, it is Federally Supported, State Managed, and Locally Executed. So to place any blame of preparedness / response solely on one level of govt or branch, is not a fair assessment.

I like Sharkeys Star Trek reference, it’s a no win scenario.

I don’t fully agree...our govt has tasked committee’s to envision worst case pandemic scenarios before, including this administration, which was not that far back...being prepared for anything, including war, natural disasters, etc is a function of gov’t...and when recommendations are made in these various scenarios, they need to be acted upon.

As far as experts are concerned, I have family members and friends that have had long careers in the State Dept stationed all over the world...some of them have been replaced with people with absolutely no experience in foreign affairs or diplomacy...but they did make a sizable donation to a political campaign...

I don’t fully agree...our govt has tasked committee’s to envision worst case pandemic scenarios before, including this administration, which was not that far back...being prepared for anything, including war, natural disasters, etc is a function of gov’t...and when recommendations are made in these various scenarios, they need to be acted upon.

We also have dozens upon dozens of private hospitals, epidemiologists, virologists, administrators, etc. who had equal access to the “information” out there that was being provided by the WHO. If this was all so cut and dry, why weren’t their private hospitals stocked and ready to go? Unlike the VA, the private hospitals have the funds and the ability to buy whatever, whenever, and from whomever they want.

With the benefit of hindsight, I think the single most effective thing that could have been done is something that no President in modern history would have had the guts to do (including Trump): completely shut down our national borders from all foreign travel in mid-January or early February and require any lawful citizen or resident who wanted reentry into the US to be medically quarantined at the port of entry for a period of 20 days.

some of them have been replaced with people with absolutely no experience in foreign affairs or diplomacy...but they did make a sizable donation to a political campaign...

But that can be said of every administration, regardless of party affiliation. If you honestly look at all of the past appointments, they are the same. I can't see the O'bama, Bush, Clinton, administrations doing any better of a job with this outbreak Yes, the Intelligence community briefed congress that this could happen, but when has any of these past administrations acted preemptively?

What I see this time is the level of panic trying to be generated from the government down to their mouthpieces in the press screaming the house is burning down.

Raading all of these headlines makes you want to run for the hills

Chris Cuomo's 'haunted' night: Shivering, hallucinating, beaten 'like piñata'...
NYC BRACES FOR PEAK DEATH...
6 days of ventilators left...
COVID-19 Patients to Be Treated at JAVITS...
Paramedics told NOT to bring cardiac arrest patients to ER...
Man succumbs on subway...
NJ Gov Orders Police To Commandeer Needed Medical Supplies...
KEEP OUT: Two-thirds Want Their STATE'S Border Closed...
Hot spots clamor for quick tests...
1 in 3 false negative?
SPREADS 'JUST BY BREATHING'...
White House expected to recommend all Americans wear masks...
Looters wearing too...
Residents in Texas city face $1,000 fine for uncovered mouth, nose...
Unique Threat to the South...
More young people dying there...
Outbreak Among Farm Workers Would Be Catastrophic...
Meat Supply System Vulnerable...
Team 700: The young doctors being asked to play god...
Life-or-Death Decisions Come With Threat of Lawsuits...
Nursing home infections surge...
Confirmed Cases Hit 1 Million Worldwide...

Last edited:

As far as experts are concerned, I have family members and friends that have had long careers in the State Dept stationed all over the world...some of them have been replaced with people with absolutely no experience in foreign affairs or diplomacy...but they did make a sizable donation to a political campaign...

And I’m sure your family / friends replaced people who could make that same argument ( I’m not saying either parties are not qualified) but I’m sure those replaced that are passionate about their work will never be happy about it.

Our government holds national level exercises every year (2019 the scenario was a pandemic imagine that) it doesn’t mean that a real-work response will be perfectly executed. It is to prepare to the best extent possible, there will always be unknowns unaccounted for.

I can understand trumps critics though, in their eyes he can do no right. I was initially like that with Obama till I had check it. If trump would have shut it down, then he would be blamed for that.

Anyone self quarantined?

Under executive order 2020-35 Michigan just passed its public school system students on. If you are a senior, you graduate. If you are not, you are passed onto the next grade. District by district, they are going to try online education for the remainder of the year, but it’s not required to pass. If you do not have access to a computer or phone at home, you are not required to participate. All standardized tests are canceled for the rest of the school year.

I understand the remainder of this year. My big question is what happens in the fall.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

And I’m sure your family / friends replaced people who could make that same argument ( I’m not saying either parties are not qualified) but I’m sure those replaced that are passionate about their work will never be happy about it.

Our government holds national level exercises every year (2019 the scenario was a pandemic imagine that) it doesn’t mean that a real-work response will be perfectly executed. It is to prepare to the best extent possible, there will always be unknowns unaccounted for.

I can understand trumps critics though, in their eyes he can do no right. I was initially like that with Obama till I had check it. If trump would have shut it down, then he would be blamed for that.

I’m not just a Trump critic...I’m from Hawaii and didn’t vote for Obama...twice. In fact, I have voted for a republican President every election since my first presidential election, and I voted for Reagan...and I did not vote for Hillary...

My step brother is a Yale undergrad/ Harvard grad in political science and Russian Studies, and was at our embassy in Moscow for many years, before taking a desk at the State Dept for even longer...(no, he wasn’t a spook)

I could list the credentials of many more that would make them more than qualified at their respective posts based on education and experience..and many of them served in multiple administrations from both parties, and did not get hired because they made a significant financial contribution to a candidate (mostly because they couldn’t afford to)...the current State Dept is in the most deplorable state in 50 years...many posts are vacated, and many more have replaced persons with multiple decades of experience with people with zero experience...

Anyone self quarantined?

Under executive order 2020-35 Michigan just passed its public school system students on. If you are a senior, you graduate. If you are not, you are passed onto the next grade. District by district, they are going to try online education for the remainder of the year, but it’s not required to pass. If you do not have access to a computer or phone at home, you are not required to participate. All standardized tests are canceled for the rest of the school year.

I understand the remainder of this year. My big question is what happens in the fall.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

They progress to the next grade and the teachers are tasked with trying to get them 1.5 years of education in 1 year...at least until Covid-20 hits.

Edit: and the only new meme I have has nudity so I can’t post it. Dammit!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

They progress to the next grade and the teachers are tasked with trying to get them 1.5 years of education in 1 year...at least until Covid-20 hits.

Edit: and the only new meme I have has nudity so I can’t post it. Dammit!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Too funny.

That’s exactly what I see coming here.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom