Any opinions on the new Smittybilt X2O winch

Panda

Also, your parachute analogy is ridiculous. If my winch fails I'm stuck. If my parachute fails I'm dead! No comparison. :cheesy:

Until your out in the middle of no where by yourself and get stuck, your winch fails, no cell service and temperatures dropping very low in the night, yes then you can compare it to a parachute

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Until your out in the middle of no where by yourself and get stuck, your winch fails, no cell service and temperatures dropping very low in the night, yes then you can compare it to a parachute

???... Have fun wheeling alone. Meanwhile, I'll always be wheeling with friends. #deadhorse.

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
???... Have fun wheeling alone. Meanwhile, I'll always be wheeling with friends. #deadhorse.

Translation: We are sheeple, hear us roar!

But really, so what? In your world, you ONLY wheel when you have friends available? Kinda sad really. But hey, that must be New Jersey.

Out here in the West, we have TONS of desert to wheel around in. Do I want to always wheel around with others? Fuck no. I want to explore by myself or with my family. It's called adventure. Try it sometime, you might like it. Heading out with a questionable winch, even more so. But to rely on others, very very sad.

jjlong

This is exactly why I asked for opinions on the Smittybilt winch. I knew I would get honest, no nonsense responses! The knowledge and passion on WAL is oustanding! I have my fingers crossed that the winch will perform but, because of the passion here, I think I already know what the outcome is going to be. Thanks to everyone for truly teaching me a lesson on equipment. This one has really sunk in! This is exactly why I proudly wear the WAL banner on my windshield! Me and my Jeep thank you!

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
Translation: We are sheeple, hear us roar!

But really, so what? In your world, you ONLY wheel when you have friends available? Kinda sad really. But hey, that must be New Jersey.

Out here in the West, we have TONS of desert to wheel around in. Do I want to always wheel around with others? Fuck no. I want to explore by myself or with my family. It's called adventure. Try it sometime, you might like it. Heading out with a questionable winch, even more so. But to rely on others, very very sad.

If you can find in this thread where I said smittybilt winches are better than warn then I will admit guilt.
As far as my disagreement with Eddie, that's all it was. We had a difference of opinion on how to spend your $$ on recovery equipment. I believe we settled that without butthurting each other.
To the rest of you trying to antagonize, I don't know why you bother. Like I mentioned earlier, you're beating a dead horse on a dead subject. But if you get your jollies off that kind of thing, be my guest.

Boring NJ wheeler.

dagdag

If you can find in this thread where I said smittybilt winches are better than warn then I will admit guilt.
As far as my disagreement with Eddie, that's all it was. We had a difference of opinion on how to spend your $$ on recovery equipment. I believe we settled that without butthurting each other.
To the rest of you trying to antagonize, I don't know why you bother. Like I mentioned earlier, you're beating a dead horse on a dead subject. But if you get your jollies off that kind of thing, be my guest.

Boring NJ wheeler.

If you beat a dead horse long enough, you get glue and dog food.

Mike Chapman

Dammit! I missed all the good Drama Yesterday...

I have a Smittybilt x20... I couldn't afford the Warn I wanted at the time. The reason I bought it..

1. Better to have some safety verses none safety..
2. Some people won't stop to help you if you never tried to be prepared yourself. I've met (and am not friends with) a few people who say they won't pull someone out of a hole if they didn't come prepared.. (with a winch). If the winch was broken, they'd help and sh?t talk the winch brand.. but they'd only help because the guy at least tried. Lets face it... The winch is Supposed to work as described...

That said, I'm one of the wierdos with luck... I use my winch frequently and it hasn't let me down. Haven't even broken a part yet.. My Brother-in-law (who I wheel with) is one of those types that says... "Lets use your winch... I don't want to get my warn dirty..."

I'll but a Warn sooner rather than later, Quality is undeniable... and I'll GIVE this smitty X20 to a Kid just starting out.. But in my case it was a good purchase while I waited on funds.

David1tontj

What about Ramsey winches? No love for the other American made winches?

They are great winches, they are just catered more to the professional/industrial market. They don't really even advertise much or try to get into the off-road market. I don't know if they just decided that that is warn's department, or just that they don't need this market due to dominating the tow truck/ industrial market.

If you go on Ramsey's website, you can find winches that are up to 130 tons. - they made their first winch in 1945, and are still making them in Tulsa, Oklahoma- not China.

The one I have on my Tj has been with me almost 15 years, and has been on 4 different off-road rigs. I've used it hundreds of times, and it has never let me down. It has been completely submerged on several occasions, I've broken a cable, and a winch rope, but the winch itself has never had a problem.

I've thought of getting a warn, just because they are cool, but I just can't justify getting rid of such a dependable winch that has saved me so many times.

One reason you don't see a ton off-road, they aren't any cheaper than the American version of warn, and warn is the industry favorite off-road. If you were getting a winch for a tow truck, you would probably get a Ramsey, it's just that industry favorite.

Top Bottom