Any opinions on the new Smittybilt X2O winch

mattfl

This is a funny thread....is Warn really made in the USA? What would be even funnier if they and Smitty were constructed at the same factory, shipped in the same container on the same boat overseas. I'm sure Smitty engineers could build a winch as good as Warn maybe even better. The way I see it its all about price point. I would think Smitty Built can't compete w/the Warn name. So to compete you build cheaper model, slap some nice graphics and amazing marketing behind the product. When I walked in to 4wheel parts yesterday there Smitty was front and center you wouldn't even see Warn if you walked straight to the counter. It would be funny to see who really sells more product. 10 awesomely marketed winches to 5 amazing product, I'm sure Smitty has a better profit margin than Warn. A normal hard working guy is going to spend his hard earned money on.....

4wheelparts is the last place you should look to compare what is selling, they are the walmart of jeep stores, so all you're gonna find there are the cheap chinese made stuff. They are also a distributer of smittybilt so that is why that's all you saw.

Mountainjk10

Caught the Bug
It is funny! Somehow an opinion thread turn into a pissing contest between Warn and Smittybilt. I wonder which winch has a bigger dick? Ha ha.

ITLL GO

He hit a nerve?

Don't worry I have just the thing, keep it for situations just like these:
View attachment 163549 [/

Didn't know they still have Jolly Ranchers candy in circulation. Complete kit though. [emoji106]

to the point that a winch is as important as brakes, I'd say absolutely not. 80% of most all jeeps never go off road to the point they would even come close to needing a winch. However they all stop.... Multiple times a day. I drive a sports car on the track sometimes for trackdays and I don't have a fire extinguisher inside or a cage. However, if I raced it in a circuit i would....

USMC Wrangler

It is funny! Somehow an opinion thread turn into a pissing contest between Warn and Smittybilt. I wonder which winch has a bigger dick? Ha ha.

Warn :yup:

(I don't own any winch, but only have Warn's on work rigs for the past 15 years. I've never experienced a failure.)

Clem319

Winches are overrated.. I just rely on my wheeling buddies warn winches. Those don't cost me anything to use. #nowinchcrew ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1441415821.090438.jpg

10frank9

Web Wheeler

Crystaliner

Doesn't know shit about wheeling
4wheelparts is the last place you should look to compare what is selling, they are the walmart of jeep stores, so all you're gonna find there are the cheap chinese made stuff. They are also a distributer of smittybilt so that is why that's all you saw.

4WheelParts is a F-ing money house so is Walmart BTW. Not everyone has a ORE or Rebel close by. But what everyone has is a computer and Internet access.

It's all about marketing... Warn was represented just on the next isle, out of site when walking up to the counter. The Big f-ing jeep as you first walk in to the store (Compton dist. Facility) all you see is Curry 60s, Smitty, ridged lights, and ARB sitting on 40s. That's marketing to the average person. The average person looking at that is going to say. I WANT THAT SHIT!!!!

I was the same way....Uneducated. Once I stumbled upon Wayolife site and only after hours of reading did I decide ORE was the path I was going to follow.

Now did I have any intentions of handing over THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars to the ORE team? Nope....headed towards TeraFlex I was. Less inexpensive product and the videos (marketing at its best) talked and approached the common uneducated buyer.

Also think twice about who 4WheelParts are in bed with you might be surprised........

It's all about marketing and money. Smitty I'm sure doesn't care if every winch come from the factory is perfect. It's a numbers game and I'm sure they are on top.

To be fair to those that either need to work with what they have or go without for potentially longer than 8 months? I'd buy my Smittybilt over again based on my personal circumstances at the time :)

I just don't put myself in a position to RELY on it without friends. Wheel responsibly, never alone and with redundant safety equipment.

I'll pull the XJ out anytime :bleh:

dagdag

4WheelParts is a F-ing money house so is Walmart BTW. Not everyone has a ORE or Rebel close by. But what everyone has is a computer and Internet access.

It's all about marketing... Warn was represented just on the next isle, out of site when walking up to the counter. The Big f-ing jeep as you first walk in to the store (Compton dist. Facility) all you see is Curry 60s, Smitty, ridged lights, and ARB sitting on 40s. That's marketing to the average person. The average person looking at that is going to say. I WANT THAT SHIT!!!!

I was the same way....Uneducated. Once I stumbled upon Wayolife site and only after hours of reading did I decide ORE was the path I was going to follow.

Now did I have any intentions of handing over THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars to the ORE team? Nope....headed towards TeraFlex I was. Less inexpensive product and the videos (marketing at its best) talked and approached the common uneducated buyer.

Also think twice about who 4WheelParts are in bed with you might be surprised........

It's all about marketing and money. Smitty I'm sure doesn't care if every winch come from the factory is perfect. It's a numbers game and I'm sure they are on top.

Smittybilt is 4 wheel parts. Just like Members Mark brand is Wal-Mart/ Sam's Club. Don't believe me? ask them. The manger of my local 4 wheel parts said "we are smittybilt."

Last edited:

NevadaZielmeister

Caught the Bug
Smittybilt is 4 wheel parts. Just like Kirkland brand is Wal-Mart/ Sam's Club.

Not quite. Smittybilt and 4wheel parts are owned by the same company, Transamerican. They are not the same company rebranding another company's product. Smittybilt was acquired in 2007.

The sales people at 4 Wheel Parts only care about their commission, not about quality products. So guess which product they push? The one with the bigger commission margin.

dagdag

Not quite. Smittybilt and 4wheel parts are owned by the same company, Transamerican. They are not the same company rebranding another company's product. Smittybilt was acquired in 2007.

The sales people at 4 Wheel Parts only care about their commission, not about quality products. So guess which product they push? The one with the bigger commission margin.

Oops. You caught me before I edited. But yes you essentially confirmed they are incestuously involved.

tdijet

This is a funny thread....is Warn really made in the USA? What would be even funnier if they and Smitty were constructed at the same factory, shipped in the same container on the same boat overseas. I'm sure Smitty engineers could build a winch as good as Warn maybe even better. The way I see it its all about price point. I would think Smitty Built can't compete w/the Warn name. So to compete you build cheaper model, slap some nice graphics and amazing marketing behind the product. When I walked in to 4wheel parts yesterday there Smitty was front and center you wouldn't even see Warn if you walked straight to the counter. It would be funny to see who really sells more product. 10 awesomely marketed winches to 5 amazing product, I'm sure Smitty has a better profit margin than Warn. A normal hard working guy is going to spend his hard earned money on.....

Lol, it's because Smittybilt is a "4 Wheel Parts" brand.

To any shamers, I won't knock anyone for buying what they can afford to buy. It's why I'm wheeling an XJ. When the day comes that I can look to replace my winch, I'll look to a Warn, but for me? It wasn't about clevis and light bars, it was about getting into a hobby with people to enjoy the great outdoors [emoji106]🏻

Like it was said earlier? Take your lessons from those who have. Make your informed decision appropriately. And if you buy it? Well, if it breaks... I'll sit and say "been there, that sucks", but I won't make fun of someone (well maybe a little) . Even if I end up pulling out someone's new JK with my little XJ [emoji12]

Have fun this weekend peeps! It's a hobby and on trail... We're all in it for the same reasons. (I hope) [emoji56]

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie, out of all the people on here I never thought I would be disappointed by your comments of assumption.

:cheesy: Sorry, didn't know you had put me up on some kind of pedestal.

Maybe next time you should ask where I got the Or-Fab carrier from before you comment about it. But, since you didn't I will tell you anyway. I bought it used for $200 because I couldn't afford a new one. It was pretty beat up and totally reconditioned it.

Don't know why that would make a difference but, okay. Seems to me you could have done the same thing for a quality winch instead of paying full price for a China winch but hey, that's just me.

Also, not everyone on this forum is a hardcore rock crawling wheeler. If I was doing your kind of wheeling I would want the best too. But in my geographical area all we have is flat trails and mud holes.

That being the case, I don't know why you would have bothered to spend upwards of $600 on something you don't really need.

My winch isn't a necessity but more of a security blanket.

A "security blanket" is only as good as it's ability to perform when you really need it. Kind of like a parachute - ain't worth a thing if it doesn't open up and bring you safely back to earth.

Sorry to go off on you but I you slightly hit a nerve. No hard feelings, just speaking my peace.

:cheesy: No sweat off my back. I don't have to rely on your "security blanket" :crazyeyes:

No, not all WARN's are made in the USA. Their VR series are made in China and I would NOT recommend them.

It is funny! Somehow, if a guy like me posts up an opinion that differs from yours, it's somehow a pissing or dick measuring contest. :naw:

In spite of what your bruised ego seems to think, I really couldn't care less what winch you chose to run. My only purpose for posting up on a thread like this is to help others who are currently shopping for a winch to hear an opposing opinion as to why they SHOULD NOT buy a Chinese made winch and back it up with my personal experience. Clearly, your only purpose for posting up on a thread like this is to reaffirm the choices that you've made regarding things you've spent your hard earned money on. And really, I get it - nobody likes to think they made a mistake.

Everyone likes to chime in when it's overly popular to one side. Forum nature

LOL!! Oh yeah, everyone chimed to say "buy it" and then others chimed in to say "don't buy it" and then the butthurt chimed in to try and discount the later. Yup, forum nature :crazyeyes:

Top Bottom