Any opinions on the new Smittybilt X2O winch

ITLL GO

Please inform us as to your own personal winch? Or do you just like to insult people and put them down?

ITLL GO

Thanks for the comments. It made my decision easy. Picked up the winch w/ synthetic line, and an aluminum quarter pounder and stinger! Putting it all in tonight...can't wait!

Congrats on the new winch. I'm excited to hear about it. Please update once you have it working and installed. I'm sure there are a lot of us who have been thinking the same thing. I hope you have a good experience with it!

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
If in the first 6 responses you got, three people said they had problem with the wireless, weak pins that break off, and a unit that was defective from the factory, how in the world did that make it an "easy decision" for you??
seems like a 50% success rate at best. 

LOL!! This ^^^^

I always find it amusing how people will pay top dollar for high end bumpers and lights (things that you don't actually need or won't leave you hanging if you don't have them) but will look for every reason to cheap out when it comes to a piece of safety equipment like a winch. I just don't get it.

Trust me there are plenty of people here that know how to navigate a forum.... Like me, so I will post up your original response so everyone can see.

I took the reply as them being silly, kind of like friends do around a camp fire. Nothing more. Try not to be so sensitive. It's only some text on the interwebs :yup:

Any opinions on the new Smittybilt X2O winch - Page 3 - Google Chrome_2015-09-04_13-27-19.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Warn also makes some winches overseas.... So... Awkward...[emoji51] Try and add comments that have value add and not just band wagon fluff. Welcome to way of life!

WARN VR winches are made in China and I would never recommend them as they lack the same kind of quality control that Smittybilt or any Chinese made winch has.

Please inform us as to your own personal winch? Or do you just like to insult people and put them down?

I have run Chinese winches in the past and now only run made in America WARN winches. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler who never uses my winches let alone wheels with others who've needed to use theirs and so you can take that for what it's worth.

Fast forward to 12:09 - this was a Smittybilt winch Harris is talking about. I just can't make this stuff up.

Arizona

LOL!! This ^^^^

I always find it amusing how people will pay top dollar for high end bumpers and lights (things that you don't actually need or won't leave you hanging if you don't have them) but will look for every reason to cheap out when it comes to a piece of safety equipment like a winch. I just don't get it.

When your bumper cost more than your winch... :cheesy:

Trust me there are plenty of people here that know how to navigate a forum.... Like me, so I will post up your original response so everyone can see.

I took the reply as them being silly, kind of like friends do around a camp fire. Nothing more. Try not to be so sensitive. It's only some text on the interwebs :yup:
One of these things is not like the other...wait, isnt that a song?

ITLL GO

View attachment 163510

Not trying to hide anything. But thanks for posting. The new phone app keeps crashing and it said it deleted my first post. Anyhow... I just don't get why people can't be excited for people after they already make their purchase. I personally wouldn't buy a smitty built winch for my JK, but might for my CJ. Either way, he took all the advice giving and choose not to follow it. Who cares, end of story. I'm I missing something here

ITLL GO

WARN VR winches are made in China and I would never recommend them as they lack the same kind of quality control that Smittybilt or any Chinese made winch has.

I have run Chinese winches in the past and now only run made in America WARN winches. Of course, I'm just a mall crawler who never uses my winches let alone wheels with others who've needed to use theirs and so you can take that for what it's worth.

Fast forward to 12:09 - this was a Smittybilt winch Harris is talking about. I just can't make this stuff up.

Obviously no one is calling you a mall crawler or anyone else on here for that matter. However you didn't chime in till after his purchase was made. If it were me, I would have waiting a little longer to see real stories of the winch in action.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Anyhow... I just don't get why people can't be excited for people after they already make their purchase. I personally wouldn't buy a smitty built winch for my JK, but might for my CJ. Either way, he took all the advice giving and choose not to follow it. Who cares, end of story. I'm I missing something here

Because other people who HAVE NOT purchased a winch might read a thread like this and may come to the conclusion that this is what they should get too. In my opinion, that would be a mistake and so I try to point out what I feel was missed by the OP in the hopes that others who are still shopping might take pause and realize that this might not be what they should get. What you're missing is that this is a forum that people share opinions and information on and not some kind of feel good life affirmation group that everyone participates on to pat each other on the back. But of course, that's just me.

ITLL GO

Because other people who HAVE NOT purchased a winch might read a thread like this and may come to the conclusion that this is what they should get too. In my opinion, that would be a mistake and so I try to point out what I feel was missed by the OP in the hopes that others who are still shopping might take pause and realize that this might not be what they should get. What you're missing is that this is a forum that people share opinions and information on and not some kind of feel good life affirmation group that everyone participates on to pat each other on the back. But of course, that's just me.

That makes sense.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously no one is calling you a mall crawler or anyone else on here for that matter.

Never said anyone was. I was just trying to point out that my opinion has as much value as anyone out there chooses to give it.

However you didn't chime in till after his purchase was made.

Again, this is an internet forum that unlike Facebook, can be searched by Google. If others in the future who are shopping for a winch see this thread, I'd like to make sure that they see honest and thoughtful opinions as to why they shouldn't get a winch like this and based on real world experience.

ITLL GO

Never said anyone was. I was just trying to point out that my opinion has as much value as anyone out there chooses to give it.

Again, this is an internet forum that unlike Facebook, can be searched by Google. If others in the future who are shopping for a winch see this thread, I'd like to make sure that they see honest and thoughtful opinions as to why they shouldn't get a winch like this and based on real world experience.

Yeah, I already agreed with you on this.

not some kind of feel good life affirmation group that everyone participates on to pat each other on the back.
True...but for those that really need it, might i point them to the Kumbaya thread. Lots of rainbows and unicorns for those in need of inner peace. Lol

tdijet

To add to the thread here. I bought the 8k X2O winch 2 and a half years ago. 50% success rate is a truth. I had a failure in the control box after pulling CrippeledPeteys then stock rubicon out of some snow, and then went to pull myself out of a hole (that was my second day needing to use it). The winch failed to reel back in. Smittybilt sent me a new control box and a handle control just in case the failure was in either.

All seemed "well" and had a few more uses in the snow. 6 months later on the Rubicon, I was pulling myself off a rock that had my rear diff in its grips, the winch was reeling in slowly and ratcheting as if the clutch was under pressure. It ended up being to motor going out of balance and needed to be rebuilt. Smittybilt sent a new motor no questions asked.

So here you are, if you are not with friends who can assist if your winch fails? Be ready to find alternative recovery options as you are rolling the dice.

tdijet

To add to the thread here. I bought the 8k X2O winch 2 and a half years ago. 50% success rate is a truth. I had a failure in the control box after pulling CrippeledPeteys then stock rubicon out of some snow, and then went to pull myself out of a hole (that was my second day needing to use it). The winch failed to reel back in. Smittybilt sent me a new control box and a handle control just in case the failure was in either.

All seemed "well" and had a few more uses in the snow. 6 months later on the Rubicon, I was pulling myself off a rock that had my rear diff in its grips, the winch was reeling in slowly and ratcheting as if the clutch was under pressure. It ended up being to motor going out of balance and needed to be rebuilt. Smittybilt sent a new motor no questions asked.

So here you are, if you are not with friends who can assist if your winch fails? Be ready to find alternative recovery options as you are rolling the dice.

Oh and btw, don't feel bad if you already bought it, because guess what is still on my XJ bumper [emoji12]

But the ultimate question is...Do you still have it?

ITLL GO

Man, that's what I worry about too. $500 or so bucks seems like a lot of money to not work when you need it to. I feel like they are similar to Harbor Freight. Cheap and works for some people, but you get what you pay for. Personally learned a long time ago to never buy Harbor Freight tools.. I'm leaning the same direction with Smitty. But the price is so tempting for my CJ... And for the record, nothing on hay beast cost very much. Maybe I'll end up with a used Warn.

Top Bottom