Another Death Wobble Thread

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I know, I know. Another one. I’ve read about everything out there but still can’t seem to solve my death wobble issue. It got me again today. I’ve pretty much rebuilt the entire front end. Track bar bushings replaced, drag link replaced. All control arm bushings replaced including axle side (those are a bitch). Tie rod ends replaced. Then built a new tie rod with heim joints. Unit bearings replaced. Ball joints rebuilt. Increased caster. Just installed a synergy trackbar and welded on washers to take care of wallowed holes on the trackbar frame side mount. Adjusted toe. Pretty much everything. Just soliciting ideas on what else to do. Anyone been in this position and finally found a remedy? I’m about due for tires and I know balance could possibly trigger it but it happens regardless of which tire is where. Still happens after rotation. When I look under while someone is dry steering I see no movement. When they push sideways on the jeep all I see move is tire sidewall. This thing is pissing me off. I thought I had it dicked after the new trackbar but hit my nemesis bump today and confirmed it’s not gone.

JT@623

Hooked
Maybe a dumb question but have you checked wheels ? I have seen some that aren’t round as well as tires .

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Maybe a dumb question but have you checked wheels ? I have seen some that aren’t round as well as tires .

I have not. Not sure how I would check that without pulling the tire off the wheel. They are ATX Slabs and this problem wasn’t there when I put them on years ago. I would have had to bend one which isn’t likely. But I could check them when I get new tires. Thanks for your input.

ChicoJoshua

I was in a similar state and found that the frame crossmember(round bar) under the engine mounts was cracked all the way around! Basically my frame was held together by the front bumper... My jeep apparently had a rough life before I got hands on it. Yours may not have but no harm in checking! I had to strip the whole front end and get it welded and gusseted for good measure.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I have not. Not sure how I would check that without pulling the tire off the wheel. They are ATX Slabs and this problem wasn’t there when I put them on years ago. I would have had to bend one which isn’t likely. But I could check them when I get new tires. Thanks for your input.
I had a bent one on my two door.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Play in the sector shaft? Or Frame Flex at the box? Rod ends not seating correctly in tapered holes? Loose bolt? Cracked or loose track bar bracket? Just brainstorming..

bmkrinne

Same thing happened to my Jeep after I installed the new PR44 along with a new trackbar, tierod, drag link, etc. everything new except the trackbar bolts. They were undersized and had to increase to new 9/16” bolts, both ends of trackbar. Problem fixed.

TrailHunter

Hooked
Same thing happened to my Jeep after I installed the new PR44 along with a new trackbar, tierod, drag link, etc. everything new except the trackbar bolts. They were undersized and had to increase to new 9/16” bolts, both ends of trackbar. Problem fixed.

I bought a set of those last time I had wobble... I ended up fixing it and never installed them.. but you are right, the JK bolts are a little small.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Are the track bar bolts on the other 2 million JK’s undersized too?

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I was in a similar state and found that the frame crossmember(round bar) under the engine mounts was cracked all the way around! Basically my frame was held together by the front bumper... My jeep apparently had a rough life before I got hands on it. Yours may not have but no harm in checking! I had to strip the whole front end and get it welded and gusseted for good measure.
I’ll check that out. That’s pretty scary. I bought the jeep new so I know the history but I’ve had it jammed into a few spots. Thanks

I had a bent one on my two door.
Of course you did. Lol
Play in the sector shaft? Or Frame Flex at the box? Rod ends not seating correctly in tapered holes? Loose bolt? Cracked or loose track bar bracket? Just brainstorming..
Sector shaft is solid and it’s a PSC XDII box. No flex that I can see when steering. Replaced both rod ends on drag link. Had previously replaced rod ends on the tie rod too then switched over to 7/8” heims. No cracks I’ve found or anything loose. I’ve gone through everything with a torque wrench multiple times. It’s maddening.

I can give that a shot too but the factory bolt fits pretty snug. Thanks

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I’d think if the holes on the brackets get worn a bit, it could make it worse. It’s worth a shot.
Worth a shot. I’ll try anything at this point. Last week I fixed the wallowed hole problem by welding thick washers on each side of the track bar mount. The ID of the ones I had were a little small so I filed them out till the bolt would slide through. So there is virtually no play on the frame side mount but maybe there’s a little between the bushing and bolt?

bmkrinne

Are the track bar bolts on the other 2 million JK’s undersized too?
Can’t speak for the other 2 million JK’s, but my OEM bolts were fine with the OEM axle and OEM trackbar, but when used with the aftermarket trackbar and new axle, they were undersized. They were loose in both the trackbar bracket and trackbar bushing. The solution was to install new larger bolts.

jeeeep

Hooked
maybe I missed it but how much lift do you have"
do you have a flipped track bar?
nemesis bump at what speed?
the violent shaking feels like the front end is coming off the ground need to come to a complete stop or grabs to one side hard requiring some force to straighten it out?

J&k_Overland

I found slop in the kids XJ steering box. Only could tell after unhooking the drag link and moving the outman arm by hand.

bmkrinne

I can give that a shot too but the factory bolt fits pretty snug. Thanks

The factory bolts should be M14 with full threads, which have an OD of 0.551”. The bolts I put in to replace them are 9/16” with partial threads and a smooth upper portion OD of 0.562”. The 0.011” larger bolt and smooth shank made a difference for me.

May be worth the time to measure the bores of the track bar and bracket holes

Top Bottom