Another Death Wobble Thread

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
maybe I missed it but how much lift do you have"
do you have a flipped track bar?
nemesis bump at what speed?
the violent shaking feels like the front end is coming off the ground need to come to a complete stop or grabs to one side hard requiring some force to straighten it out?
3.5”. Flipped drag link and raised trackbar bracket on PR44. It’s usually in the 50mph range and yes, it’s full on death wobble. Violent side to side shaking until I come to basically a complete stop. Far beyond bumpsteer.

JeepFan

Hooked
Sounds like you covered the areas that can affect DW. Worn out tires can definitely influence DW. Based on what I know about your situation, new tires and an alignment is what you need. Toe-in set at 1/8" and 4.5 degrees positive caster (if you have adjustable control arms) and you'll be good to go...

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Sounds like you covered the areas that can affect DW. Worn out tires can definitely influence DW. Based on what I know about your situation, new tires and an alignment is what you need. Toe-in set at 1/8" and 4.5 degrees positive caster (if you have adjustable control arms) and you'll be good to go...

I hope you’re right. I had caster set to 4.2 but then increased to about 5 trying to fight this issue.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe I missed it but how old are your unit bearings? I have seen where a worn out set can cause DW. How about your shocks? Have you tried cycling them by hand to see if one is valving different from the other? I have seen this be an issue too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Also, what track bar are you running. I have seen plenty of aftermarket ones flex and cause DW. This was always a bitch being that it's one of the last things you'd suspect.

Oinkypig

Had serious trouble with loose steering. Once steering was centered I had a deadzone of about 1/8 turn either direction before the steering made changes to the wheels. I had a special sector shaft brace that had a larger pitman arm nut over stock that attached to the sector shaft rod that than bolted to the passenger side frame rail. The pitman arm (32.33mm?) nut happened to be way to loose and once buttoned up, steering was pinpoint. 4" lift, messed with caster and trackbar. Since you tried all other options try Tightening up the pitman arm.

WJCO

Meme King
Had serious trouble with loose steering. Once steering was centered I had a deadzone of about 1/8 turn either direction before the steering made changes to the wheels. I had a special sector shaft brace that had a larger pitman arm nut over stock that attached to the sector shaft rod that than bolted to the passenger side frame rail. The pitman arm (32.33mm?) nut happened to be way to loose and once buttoned up, steering was pinpoint. 4" lift, messed with caster and trackbar. Since you tried all other options try Tightening up the pitman arm.
Your factory pitman arm nut was loose? Or because someone left it loose during the install of the sector shaft brace?

Oinkypig

The stock Nut is replaced by an offroad Evo pitman Nut that has a bolt that goes through the brace rod's heim joint and bolts onto the nut itself. It was left loose during install and I drove it like that for years. Luckily it always stayed on until i found out it needed to be tightened.
main.php

TrailHunter

Hooked
I know, I know. Another one. I’ve read about everything out there but still can’t seem to solve my death wobble issue. It got me again today. I’ve pretty much rebuilt the entire front end. Track bar bushings replaced, drag link replaced. All control arm bushings replaced including axle side (those are a bitch). Tie rod ends replaced. Then built a new tie rod with heim joints. Unit bearings replaced. Ball joints rebuilt. Increased caster. Just installed a synergy trackbar and welded on washers to take care of wallowed holes on the trackbar frame side mount. Adjusted toe. Pretty much everything. Just soliciting ideas on what else to do. Anyone been in this position and finally found a remedy? I’m about due for tires and I know balance could possibly trigger it but it happens regardless of which tire is where. Still happens after rotation. When I look under while someone is dry steering I see no movement. When they push sideways on the jeep all I see move is tire sidewall. This thing is pissing me off. I thought I had it dicked after the new trackbar but hit my nemesis bump today and confirmed it’s not gone.
Did you ever figure out the issue?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Not fully. I got new tires and that made a good improvement. Shocks are next on my list. I can still feel a little wobble every now and then.
Roger that. The last couple of trips out have started a slight vibration in my steering going through bumps. Nothing real bad, but it may get worse. I recently installed all new rod joints, so I'm going to swap in new unit bearings tomorrow and see if that fixes it.

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
Roger that. The last couple of trips out have started a slight vibration in my steering going through bumps. Nothing real bad, but it may get worse. I recently installed all new rod joints, so I'm going to swap in new unit bearings tomorrow and see if that fixes it.
I hope that works for you. As you can see I’ve done a whole shitload of things to try and remedy mine. It started the same way. Slight shimmy and just gradually got worse.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I hope that works for you. As you can see I’ve done a whole shitload of things to try and remedy mine. It started the same way. Slight shimmy and just gradually got worse.
For sure.. been down this road ... just trying to get ahead of it. Hope you figure yours out as well.

Top Bottom