All things Colorado

Me and some friends went to RAM Offroad Park this weekend. It is east of Colorado Springs, maybe 20 minutes. It has a bunch of dirt bike riders driving the track but there are plenty of rocks to crawl. It was a good break from the winter since we can't really get up to the high country right now unless you want to snow bash.

There is some good terrain and plenty of places to break stuff or roll a Jeep if you want to push the limits! Some stuff only buggies can get through.

We had a big time. Here is a video that I put together with my crazy video editing skills (YouTube).

https://youtu.be/fAR6P1cLwvw

Me and some friends went to RAM Offroad Park this weekend. It is east of Colorado Springs, maybe 20 minutes. It has a bunch of dirt bike riders driving the track but there are plenty of rocks to crawl. It was a good break from the winter since we can't really get up to the high country right now unless you want to snow bash.

There is some good terrain and plenty of places to break stuff or roll a Jeep if you want to push the limits! Some stuff only buggies can get through.

We had a big time. Here is a video that I put together with my crazy video editing skills (YouTube).

Is this place free. Or pay?

20 bucks. It's not truly amazing but it has plenty of obstacles to stay busy and have a good time. I will go back. Especially during the winter season.

Last edited:

Great video and thanks for sharing.
BTW what tire psi where yall running? The jeep with the slabs looked like he could have been a lot lower and would have helped tons.

Thanks! I think my buddy was at 10 psi and I had my non-beadlock wheels at 15 psi. This stuff was hard to get traction on! It was real sandy, loam clay.

Yes nice video. Would be cool to hit that place. The wife and I explored today and I will add some more pics. Definitely a beautiful state Colorado is. Glad we made the move. Drove by Sangre DeCristo, through Rye, San Isabel Forest, Buena Vista, Salida, Canon City then back into Pueblo. Absolutely stunning. Got a stop I am adding to Eddie's Roadside thread.

Yes nice video. Would be cool to hit that place. The wife and I explored today and I will add some more pics. Definitely a beautiful state Colorado is. Glad we made the move. Drove by Sangre DeCristo, through Rye, San Isabel Forest, Buena Vista, Salida, Canon City then back into Pueblo. Absolutely stunning. Got a stop I am adding to Eddie's Roadside thread.

Looking to get out in the next month for a weekend away with the family, so pics and recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

A few pics from our day trip.

Visited Bishop Castle in Rye, Co.

IMG_20160105_111149.jpg

IMG_20160105_111526.jpg

IMG_20160105_105546.jpg

IMG_20160105_110436.jpg

IMG_20160105_110345.jpg

IMG_20160105_110551.jpg

IMG_20160105_110527.jpg

IMG_20160105_110546.jpg

Sorry about the side way shot. Could not figure how to rotate.

Getting to the Castle:
The drive to Bishop Castle will take you over 9,200 feet above sea level along the Frontier Pathways Scenic and Historic Byway.

The easiest way to get to Bishop Castle is from I-25. Take exit #74 at Colorado City and head towards the mountains. (right off the exit ramp from the north and left off the exit ramp from the south) This puts you on Colorado state highway 165 and it's 24 miles without a turn to the Castle. You will see signs for the castle as you come upon it, and there's usually many cars out front.

The Scenic Route, from Colorado Springs, is to take Hwy. 115 south to Florence, turn left at the first traffic light onto Hwy. 67, turn right onto Hwy 96 in Wetmore and at the next junction you will see signs for Bishop Castle. Turn left there onto Hwy. 165 and it's 12 miles.

Bishop Castle can also be reached from the Salida area by heading east on Hwy. 50 to Texas Creek and turning right onto Hwy. 69 into Westcliffe. Turn left once in Westcliffe onto Hwy. 96 and travel until you see the Bishop Castle signs at the junction with Hwy. 165. Turn right and it's 12 miles.

Drove by the mountains heading towards and through San Isabel Forest to St Elmo Ghost town. In warmer months you can hand feed the chipmunks sunflower seeds. It was too cold and the weather looked like it was going to get bad so we only stayed for a little while. We were the only ones there. We will head back when it gets warmer. In San Isabel it looks like you could rent cabins.

IMG_20160105_131834.jpg

IMG_20160105_131843.jpg

IMG_20160105_131849.jpg

IMG_20160105_133432.jpg

IMG_20160105_133417.jpg

IMG_20160105_145844.jpg

IMG_20160105_152040.jpg

IMG_20160105_152413.jpg

IMG_20160105_152315.jpg

IMG_20160105_152408.jpg

IMG_20160105_152237.jpg

IMG_20160105_153955.jpg

IMG_20160105_152735.jpg

IMG_20160105_155209.jpg

Then drove through Salida. Very cool town with several bars, shops, and outfitters. It is along the Arkansas river and you can raft in the summer months. We will head back for a weekend.

IMG_20160105_163112.jpg

IMG_20160105_162808.jpg

IMG_20160105_162351.jpg
Headed home.
IMG_20160105_163140.jpg

Catahoula, great pics! The wife and I stumbled onto Bishop Castle one day back in about 98-99. It was a weekday in the early am. We drove up there and there was nobody there. We were kinda scared to get out and walk around. As we were just hanging by the car a man walked up and asked if we were coming in. It was Jim Bishop the mastermind/creator. He was a interesting man. He gave the wife and I a little tour of the castle, explaining the whys and hows. It was an awesome couple hours. That man put a lot of blood and sweat into that place. If you haven't been to there I recommend you go just to see it.
Also I think the wife and I were in Salida multiple times before we even realized that the downtown area is kinda off the main road hwy 50. Once we found that out it was like a whole different place. Great little town.
Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Great pics. I've heard good stuff about the castle. Still need to get down there one of these days.

Drove by the mountains heading towards and through San Isabel Forest to St Elmo Ghost town. In warmer months you can hand feed the chipmunks sunflower seeds. It was too cold and the weather looked like it was going to get bad so we only stayed for a little while. We were the only ones there. We will head back when it gets warmer. In San Isabel it looks like you could rent cabins

Thanks for sharing, catahoula. My wife and I and a group of friends head out to the Salida area every year in August for a week long camping/exploring trip. We prefer camping and usually camp at Heart Of The Rockies, west of Salida on HWY 50, we have stayed at The Tudor Rose in Salida before. If you are looking for a cabin to rent, especially if it is a few couples or perhaps a group of people, their Chalet's, as they call them, are pretty decent and the owners are very nice people to deal with.

I know there are cabins to rent along Chalk Creek Road headed towards St. Elmo that look pretty cool. Also, on the west side of Tincup Pass there are cabins to rent as well.

San Isabel Forest is a beautiful place to visit for sure, in the summer months you just have to watch out for all the trail lice (razors), they're everywhere!

Catahoula, great pics! The wife and I stumbled onto Bishop Castle one day back in about 98-99. It was a weekday in the early am. We drove up there and there was nobody there. We were kinda scared to get out and walk around. As we were just hanging by the car a man walked up and asked if we were coming in. It was Jim Bishop the mastermind/creator. He was a interesting man. He gave the wife and I a little tour of the castle, explaining the whys and hows. It was an awesome couple hours. That man put a lot of blood and sweat into that place. If you haven't been to there I recommend you go just to see it.
Also I think the wife and I were in Salida multiple times before we even realized that the downtown area is kinda off the main road hwy 50. Once we found that out it was like a whole different place. Great little town.
Thanks again for sharing the pics.

Thanks ! Very cool story. I guess he is there mainly on the weekends from what I read. Salida is definitely a nice find as well. Excited to go back.:thumb:

Top Bottom