38s on Dana 30

FLKEYSJK

I'm currently saving for tires and rims and I was looking at the 38x13.50x20 toyo open country Mts and was wondering what you guys thought, I'm sad to admit it will be used 99% mall crawling until I move in a few years because there isn't anywhere to go off roading in key west, and eventually I'm going to save up for a PR44. I have plenty of time before I have the funds as I just bought the jeep a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

ChaosNein

My Opinion..... If you WANT TO run 38s, then run them.

But here is the deal, if and when your tubes bend and/or your rear axle flanges bend, just know that it really not a great idea.

Do you have any recommendations, what should be done to the axle if I want to run 37s until I can afford a PR44?
I mean, this gets asked all the time. You can run 54s on a d30 if you want to, but real world experience shows a d30 isnt built heavy enough to handle 37s. Id love 37s, but truth is my rig isnt built enouvh to handle it. 37s are BIG tires. Can you do it? Yes. Are you asking for trouble? Yes.

Edit: to answer your question, i just wouldnt do it. Spend your money on something else thats beneficial. At the end of the day, its your money though so spend it how youd like.

Do you have any recommendations, what should be done to the axle if I want to run 37s until I can afford a PR44?

Secondly, you can sleeve and truss all you want to but that wont beef up the small ring gear and axle shafts on the inside

Thanks for the answers, i guess I'll just have to be happy with 35s for now

Ive mulled it over a million times because as my rig sits, i could mount them no problem. Ive had many a convo with folks on here with waaaaaaay more experience than me. To me its risk vs reward. The conclusion is that its a sizable risk for breaking something. Not to mention strain on bearings and such....The gain in ground clearence is minimal. To me alot of people risk it just to say "im runnin 37s".

FLKEYSJK

Ive mulled it over a million times because as my rig sits, i could mount them no problem. Ive had many a convo with folks on here with waaaaaaay more experience than me. To me its risk vs reward. The conclusion is that its a sizable risk for breaking something. Not to mention strain on bearings and such....The gain in ground clearence is minimal. To me alot of people risk it just to say "im runnin 37s".

Yeah I see what you're saying, I don't need 37s but I want them just because of the looks

FLKEYSJK

My Opinion..... If you WANT TO run 38s, then run them.

But here is the deal, if and when your tubes bend and/or your rear axle flanges bend, just know that it really not a great idea.

You're right I guess all it took to convince me was a few answers from people with Wayyy more experience than me

Ddays

Hooked
Thanks for the answers, i guess I'll just have to be happy with 35s for now

I understand that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear but I wish that I had found this site last year before I built my Jeep.
When I started I HAD to have 37's. I never got the tough love answers you get here. The parts guys I went to said, "Sure, step right up and give us your money! Sure that's a great winch! Sure you don't want 5:38's on that D30? Yep, that lift rides like a dream!" :puke:

I'm lucky - I never broke. But I've spent the past summer buying parts to catch up to my damn tires! I wish I would've asked here first.

FLKEYSJK

I understand that's probably not the answer you wanted to hear but I wish that I had found this site last year before I built my Jeep.
When I started I HAD to have 37's. I never got the tough love answers you get here. The parts guys I went to said, "Sure, step right up and give us your money! Sure that's a great winch! Sure you don't want 5:38's on that D30? Yep, that lift rides like a dream!" :puke:

I'm lucky - I never broke. But I've spent the past summer buying parts to catch up to my damn tires! I wish I would've asked here first.

I'm glad you guys are giving it to me straight because being a junior in high school money doesn't come very easy, looks like it'll be a few years before I get my dream set-up

I'm glad you guys are giving it to me straight because being a junior in high school money doesn't come very easy, looks like it'll be a few years before I get my dream set-up

If it makes you feel better, id be willing to bet not many people here got theirs overnight either. Build a solid setup one piece at a time. I see jks in town with 37s just for show. They wouldnt perform or hold up on the trail worth a shit. Thats not what i want to have.

Ddays

Hooked

Good for you. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Don't stop asking questions and checking out all of the threads here. By the time you're ready you'll have everything figured out and know exactly what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

FLKEYSJK

Thanks for all the replies, I love this forum compared to all the others, many great people with lots of knowledge!

Ddays

Hooked
If it makes you feel better, id be willing to bet not many people here got theirs overnight either. Build a solid setup one piece at a time. I see jks in town with 37s just for show. They wouldnt perform or hold up on the trail worth a shit. Thats not what i want to have.

:standing wave:

Yup, that was the old me. My signature below is a constant reminder.

Good for you. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders. Don't stop asking questions and checking out all of the threads here. By the time you're ready you'll have everything figured out and know exactly what works and what doesn't.

Good luck!

Thanks for all the replies, I love this forum compared to all the others, many great people with lots of knowledge!

I wish more of these kinds of threads ended this way. Im too used to people getting pissed because they dont get the answer they were hopin for. Lol

Top Bottom