2020 Dirt Experience : Follow the Adventures of MOBY on the 10th Annual JKX

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Here’s a shot of what the wiring looked like after the harness was unwrapped.

IMG_3979.jpg

I’m really glad that Robbie decided to track things down instead of just replacing the sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

jeeeep

Hooked
glad it's going to be a quick fix but sucks the that piece of metal sticking out so close to the harness didn't get caught during install.

wires look like the wiring harness on our Toyota when a rat moved into the engine bay.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
glad it's going to be a quick fix but sucks the that piece of metal sticking out so close to the harness didn't get caught during install.

wires look like the wiring harness on our Toyota when a rat moved into the engine bay.

eh, space is tight and shit happens. I probably would have made the same mistake.

Glad they found it and it wasn't something more major.

Yup, like I said, I'm glad they took the time to look harder for the cause rather than just replace a sensor and call it good.

You and them wires![emoji23]

Glad to see it’s an “easy” fix.

:doh: Tell me about it! :crazyeyes:

Well that blows that it was something so simple and we couldn’t get it running. Glad they are getting it worked out now though and fairly easily.

If it went bad earlier in the week, I think I would have spent a night in a parking lot looking for this. Fortunately, I don't think we missed too much and all is good now.

So new harness or 50 splices? That looks torn up

LOL - I think it's only 6 wires that got miffed. I'm sure they can be patched and call it good.

benatc1

Hooked
Sucks that happened but certainly could have been worse. Honestly, I was worried the whole integration was an issue when I saw you went down but true is just a simple install mistake that I'm sure they will pay much better mind to now. Glad to see is simple and easy find/fix

Sent from my HD1905 using WAYALIFE mobile app

bkac

Caught the Bug
Wow, that’s crazy and kinda what we were thinking and talking about. I hate that happened but glad it looks to be an easy fix and a definite explanation vs something that might fix the issue. I was happy to see you guys staying in great spirits and still having a great time! Glad to see Moby will be back up and at it again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

wjtstudios

Hooked
No kidding!

But Eddie missed the "fun" of being in 115° heat!

Look! It's so hot his air lines just blew out! :cheesy:

That was intense. Those are the moments we’ll remember for a lifetime. Thanks again for all the help on that [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Sucks that happened but certainly could have been worse. Honestly, I was worried the whole integration was an issue when I saw you went down but true is just a simple install mistake that I'm sure they will pay much better mind to now. Glad to see is simple and easy find/fix

Believe me, we were a bit concerned as well and very happy to know it was just a dumb mistake. Motech has since fixed the problem, made sure it would happen again, double checked everything else and did some extensive testing over the weekend. Hoping to pick Moby back up later on today or tomorrow morning. :yup:

Wow, that’s crazy and kinda what we were thinking and talking about. I hate that happened but glad it looks to be an easy fix and a definite explanation vs something that might fix the issue. I was happy to see you guys staying in great spirits and still having a great time! Glad to see Moby will be back up and at it again soon.

Yeah, it's all good and if we had to, I bet we could have found the problem and fixed it as well. All was good and we had a great time with you out on the trail. :thumb:

Glad you were able to track down the problem. That kind of electrical issue is always on my mind when routing wires.

It's tough because the wiring was routed the way GM has it. Problem was, the engine was installed in a JK. Fortunately, Robbie was determined to find the real problem and make sure it got fixed. :yup:

Primo82

Caught the Bug
Just got an update from Motech. Being that Robbie didn't see any damage to the sensor, he had his guys follow the wiring back to the computer and... that's where they found this!

View attachment 355614

As you can see, they found some damage to the harness right where it came off the engine and went up to the fender well. Apparently, it was rubbing on a sharp edge and that damaged a few wires. Needless to say, it looks like Moby will be back up and running again soon! :thumb:

Damn, that sucks but good catch on their part! My motorcycle started intermittently dying on the road, which scared the shit outta me. I was afraid it would cut out when trying to make a left hand turn through traffic... Pulled the loom out of the bike. Ended up finding some scuffing on the loom where it had been zip-tied to the frame. Opened it up and after looking at the wires EXTENSIVELY I found a very tiny area that had the sheath scrapped away. I guess when the stars aligned the wire would contact the bolt and poof, there goes the main fuse... I taped the bad wire, didn't want to pull another, then taped the shit outta that section of the loom. And re-routed the loom a little so it wouldn't be pulled tight against any sharp edges. Been working well ever since.

Top Bottom