2015 WAYALIFE Last Chance Canyon Newbie Run

Steph and I had a great time on the Newbie Run! It was nice to meet everyone and we hope to see you all on the trail again soon. Special thanks to Eddie and Cindy for putting this adventure together. Thanks to everyone who helped out and made this a fun and safe trip. Can't wait til the next one.

Here are a few pics I took from the trip... Hope you enjoy!!

20150307_093652.jpg

20150307_093659.jpg

20150307_093827.jpg

20150307_093854.jpg

20150307_093857.jpg

20150307_093931.jpg

20150307_093958.jpg

20150307_094429.jpg

20150307_094511.jpg

20150307_094639.jpg

20150307_094752.jpg

20150307_094854.jpg

20150307_095121.jpg

20150307_095315.jpg

20150307_095451.jpg

20150307_095533.jpg

20150307_095551.jpg

20150307_100635.jpg

20150307_100715.jpg

This was a fun, fun, did I say fun, trip. We met lots of great people, learned a ton of new things, and always felt we were among pros that could get us through anything! My wife is already asking when we are going again and when are we getting those 37s, a lift, and rockers(Whoo Hoo EVO here I come). Thanks Eddie and Cindy for coming down and putting this trip on. Also thanks to everyone that helped from the beginning of the trip to airing back up at the end. Definitely not just a jeep, but "A Way Of Life".

Nelsone, that is a heck of a story. Hope everything works out well this morning for you. Enjoyed jeeping with you and look forward to getting up to Montana soon.

Steph and I had a great time on the Newbie Run! It was nice to meet everyone and we hope to see you all on the trail again soon. Special thanks to Eddie and Cindy for putting this adventure together. Thanks to everyone who helped out and made this a fun and safe trip. Can't wait til the next one.

View attachment 129512

Great Pics with some nice looking rigs! Love the CJ!

1. This is a long story.
2. It's rated PG13
3. The break had nothing to do with the trip.

--------------------------------------------

Ok. Finally made it to a hotel. The good news is my adventure continues. The bad news is that it's not in my jeep.

So one time after coming back to Ca from Mt I got a check engine light. Took it to the dealer and they were like 'oh it's a piston issue. It's under warranty we'll take care of it. Give us 3 days.' Called in three days and 'oh it's taking longer than we thought. Called back in 5 days and 'oh it was not the piston we thought.' Got called back a week later that it was ready.

Since then, it's been getting hot. A little over midline but it would come back to normal once the fan kicked in. I took it back to the dealer for an oil change and explained the heating issue (and a burning smell) and they said it was nothing.

Then one day while in hollister hills, it actually redlined and screamed at me. So I shut it down and waited and it's been fine ever since. But it was all street driving. Occasionally it would creep up a little but then normal.

Anyway... It was heating up this weekend on the newbie trip. Nothing I hadn't seen before. In fact Eddie gave me some tips to keep it cool and it was all working. No excessive over heating except for on small portion coming out where we saw coolant dripping.

Ovrlander had a look with us and we agreed it was just coming out the resoviour. Not problems.

Made it out the canyon, aired up and started driving home. It got a little hot but always went back down. Until I hit Bakersfield. Then it hit the H and yelled at me. I turned off my ac and rolled down the windows and it went back down. So I thought 'ok no ac. Fine.' Until I hit the middle of nowhere on I-5.

Here is where it decided to go to H and stay. So I pulled over. I heard the fan was on but it wasn't going down so I turned it off. It was here my nerves started to kick in. I wanted to go home to my wife and dog. wtf. My stomach replied with its usual 'panic response.' Where as I explained to it that we were in the middle of nowhere, please don't do this here.

So anyway, I waited about an hour and started it up again and it seemed fine. That lasted about 5 miles. It heated up again but all the way to H. My stomach said 'how about now?!?!?' in which case I told it to shut the duck up, I did not have the time and this was not the place.

I should mention at each of the stops I checked and filled coolant. I saw leaks but res seemed ok each time. It was never empty.

So I called towing assist from Chrysler. The guy said 'where are you?' I said 'middle of nowhere in California.' He said 'what businesses or buildings do you see around you?' And I said dirt and sand.

Finally after giving GPS coordinates he was able to sort of figure out my location. (Somewhere north of Avelon). So he said he would call the towing company who would tow me to the nearest dealer which was 50 miles away in Hanford. It was at this time my phone started bitching about low battery. (About 10% at this point).

So after all that my stomach was like 'ok!!! Now!!!' And I was like "ugh. I'm starting to think so. I'll think of options and get back to you. Settle down for now."

Wait another 30 minutes and I get an incoming call from Ontario,ca. It was Chrysler. Asking me to verify my location because it seems the previous request was put in wrong. I asked what that meant. I didn't get an answer really. Only the same scripted questions and that a tow company will be called to take me to the nearest dealer.

Wait another 20 minutes. The tow company calls. I'm paraphrasing now but not too much "uhhhh.... So since I don't know where you are in going to cancel the call. I need your exact location. So we aren't coming out. Just dial 911 and ask them to come out." I offered gps coordinates but he said those aren't always accurate so he wouldn't even take them. No longer having the energy or patience to deal with Stupid I just ok I'll call 911.

So at this time my stomach said "DUDE! It's now or now. No time for never! Make this happen! Or I will!" So it was at this time I demonstrated some ingenuity and the versatility of the jeep (that is not advertised). Without giving away all the details but painting enough of the picture for you to do so, it involved the hanging of a bed sheet over the frame inside the hard top and what used to be my lunch box. I'm sure many a Overlander would have been proud. I'm not proud of what I did but did what I had to do. And sadly I'm no longer able to use my lunch box. EVER.

So with that out of the way, I thought I could focus on fixing my problem. I ripped off the POS plastic skid plate under the front of the jeep (seriously wtf does that thing do?) and looked under. What i saw was a leak coming from the passenger side of the radiator. You think this story is getting long? Let me tell you why I'm paranoid of radiator leaks. So I said duck it and called 911.

Nice operator. Got me the CHP dep on duty to come out. He showed up. Basically my options were that he would call a tow truck for me but I would have to deal with reimbursement and all that poop later ( ha jokes on him. Little did he know I already dealt with it) or he drive me to town (kettles-something). Think this story is long? Let me tell you why I will never leave my car on the side of the road to pick it up later.

So I told him to call the tow company and he did. He understood that being a jeep owner why I would want to stay with it. After which it felt like the weekend all over again. He talked to me about jeeps and his jeeps and his buddies jeeps and a bunch of jeep stuff I didn't really understand. Then he left. The tow truck came.

I had him drive me to the nearest dealer whig, according to Chrysler was in Hanford. So we drove. An hour later we arrived.

Well, $650 dollars later. I thought I would just sleep in the car at the dealer and be there first thing. But there were way to many people walking in this neighborhood. Sketchy people. So I thought I spent this much might as well get a hotel. "Siri, where is the nearest hotel in Hanford." To which she replied " there are no hotels near Hanford." Wtf. Anyway I eventually figured out the right way to ask her and found a comfort inn. Only problem was it was the same direction on foot as all the other sketchy people were going! Who's the sketchy one now ducker? The dude who was out camping in the desert and didn't shower during that time. That's who. Anyway, I locked everything up and walked the 6 or so blocks to the hotel where I was able to use a shower and a "not a lunchbox".

I will try to sleep tonight and be at the dealer first thing in the morning where I hope they will tell me it's a simple fix and I can be on my way to my wife and dog tomorrow. Oh and that I won't break down again.

So there you have it. Enjoy. :)

What a bummer. I had no idea you were having cooling system issues. I hope everything works out so you can get home soon.

What kind of trash bag is on the spare in this pic? looks like some kind of woven material reuable, I see them all the time in the WOL videos, but only thing I can seem to find online is the "Trasharoo" :thumb: Thanks!

Looks like an awesome time.

This is actually a 50 year old military canvas duffle bag that my dad was issued in the air force. I found it while moving his stuff and though this would work perfect for this purpose. It has just a draw string closure that I loop around the carrier. Once it gets some weight in it it does hang pretty low to the ground. (Go ahead submit all you comments now..haha) You may be able to find something similar at a military surplus shop or the like. Hope this helps.

This is actually a 50 year old military canvas duffle bag that my dad was issued in the air force. I found it while moving his stuff and though this would work perfect for this purpose. It has just a draw string closure that I loop around the carrier. Once it gets some weight in it it does hang pretty low to the ground. (Go ahead submit all you comments now..haha) You may be able to find something similar at a military surplus shop or the like. Hope this helps.
:thumb: Thank you. I'll check around. :beer:

:thumb: Thank you. I'll check around. :beer:

Actually while posting the previous thread I remembered not seeing it in my garage after I unpacked. After the trail I detached it from the carrier and placed it into a trash bag because it was wet on the bottom from leaking liquids and did not want to get it all over the bedding in the back of my jeep. Well I must have not remembered doing so and while unpacking saw it as a trash bag and threw it away. I ran home from work a few minutes ago as today is trash day but my cans were already emptied...:grayno: Fortunately I have a second one but I'm still bummed by my mistake.

You know what really pisses me off?? Sitting here looking at a great event like this on the computer while I sit in flat-as-a-70-year-old-man's-ass Florida. :grayno: Eddie, I hope you guys are still doing this stuff when I retire in 7 more years and move back west...:crybaby: Great pics, and great event.

Ditto! Despite where I am now. Had a blast. And my adventure continues! :)

Totally sucks about your Jeep but glad to hear you were able to join us and that you had a great time in spite of it. :thumb:

Woo hoo.. Lucky n I made it home safe late Saturday night. Definitely camping next time. Eddie n Cindy thanks for putting this newbie event together. I finally know how to properly operate my jeep in 4 Lo.
Tony n Stephanie thx for all the help n encouragement. It was nice to meet everyone! Nelsone... sorry about your jeep and your lunch box.
Looking forward to the next outing.

So glad that you were able to join us for this trip and glad to hear you had a good time :cool:

Awesome pics my friend - gonna have to give you the job of doing this for us in the future!!
Thanks again for all your help :thumb:

This was a fun, fun, did I say fun, trip. We met lots of great people, learned a ton of new things, and always felt we were among pros that could get us through anything! My wife is already asking when we are going again and when are we getting those 37s, a lift, and rockers(Whoo Hoo EVO here I come). Thanks Eddie and Cindy for coming down and putting this trip on. Also thanks to everyone that helped from the beginning of the trip to airing back up at the end. Definitely not just a jeep, but "A Way Of Life".

So glad you were able to join us for this run and that glad to know you wife had a good time too. You know, next time SHE needs to be the one who drives :yup:

You know what really pisses me off?? Sitting here looking at a great event like this on the computer while I sit in flat-as-a-70-year-old-man's-ass Florida. :grayno: Eddie, I hope you guys are still doing this stuff when I retire in 7 more years and move back west...:crybaby: Great pics, and great event.

LOL!! We've been doing this for a long time now and don't see us doing anything different in the future to come. When you get out here, look us up :D

Oh, BTW, here's a couple of carnage shots I took on from this trip...
main.php

main.php

:crazyeyes:

Oh, BTW, here's a couple of carnage shots I took on from this trip...
main.php

main.php

:crazyeyes:

That looks like you either twisted your ankle real bad or stuffed it jumping off something...I had the same injury back in my stand-up jetski days when I bottomed out on a sandbar jumping waves...no fun.

Top Bottom