2014 SEMA SNEAK PEEK : NEW Dynatrac Brake System

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
LOL!! In all fairness, part of the problem could have something to do with TeraFlex uses a bigger brake caliper and that would cause a softer pedal feel. Being that this Dynatrac kit retains the factory piston part of the caliper and nothing else in the plumbing is tampered with, nothing changes in pedal feel. You just get much better and flatter braking without locking up or having the ABS kick in.

You do make a good point.

ETA in the kits??

JAGS

Hooked
As I posted in the other thread, this seems like a great solution. :yup: I'm constantly driving my jeep in fwy traffic or stop and go city streets. Can't tell you how many times I've rolled through a yellow (because there was no stopping before the intersection) or puckered on the fwy (because someone cuts me off in traffic and takes away my stopping cushion). While I've adapted my driving style since getting the jeep lifted, knowing I have the stopping power beneath me as well, would bring even more peace of mind.

This would be right up with a cage in terms of making the jeep safer for driver, passengers and those around me. IMO. I'm much more open to spending on a Dynatrac solution then risking install error with others....cough...terabreak....cough.

Fir-na-tine

Caught the Bug
Thanks a lot Eddie......now I have to call Drew back up and add this kit and amend the quote he just gave me on my "Full Monte" build I'm scheduling in early Spring of next year.......another $1k isn't going to "brake" me though lol so I shouldn't sweat it........just try not to unveil any more trick stuff that will make me spend more cake..... J.E.E.P.

~Woodrow~

Speeddmn

Hopefully the cost does stay under a grand, that would be great! Eddie, when you are at SEMA can you get some photos of these and post up please. I'm sure you were already going to do it. Also any words on the facts of possiable powder coated calibers, sloted/drilled rotors etc? Dont know if I missed it in the original post or not. Also I would assume that whenever I save my pennies I would be able to add these to the order for a PR44 in the future?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully the cost does stay under a grand, that would be great! Eddie, when you are at SEMA can you get some photos of these and post up please. I'm sure you were already going to do it. Also any words on the facts of possiable powder coated calibers, sloted/drilled rotors etc? Dont know if I missed it in the original post or not. Also I would assume that whenever I save my pennies I would be able to add these to the order for a PR44 in the future?

Oh yeah, I'll be sure to get lots of photos of these as well as a video interview. I do know that the caliper brackets will either be powder coated or zinc plated. I believe the brakes I tested did not have drilled/slotted rotors and the numbers you see are based on them. I do know there was discussion of making this an option but, I'd have a hard time imagining the price for them being the same.

Speeddmn

Oh yeah, I'll be sure to get lots of photos of these as well as a video interview. I do know that the caliper brackets will either be powder coated or zinc plated. I believe the brakes I tested did not have drilled/slotted rotors and the numbers you see are based on them. I do know there was discussion of making this an option but, I'd have a hard time imagining the price for them being the same.

Pretty much as I expected, after re-reading the list of items in the kits, it looks to be new pads, rotors and brackets to move the factory caliber to a diffrent area, and assume a few smaller items. Since I have a Deep Water Blue with black wheels, I think it would look cool, it the hub area of the rotor was blue ot black and same for the caliber/brackets.

Back in my mustang days a few componies would send you factory calibers coated to match your car with a core charge, this way you could still drive while awaiting your new parts. Seemed to be a decent solution to get the factory calibers coated for the convience issues. Did the same for the valve covers etc.

JayKay

Caught the Bug
No specific price has been set but I am told that they are really wanting to keep it just under a grand.

We all know what that means!!! $999.99 :cheesy: Well worth the price. My front rotors are already warped after 30,000 of running 35s. Better brake kit would resolve the issue in sure.

Linebacker

Caught the Bug
IMHO this is rather big news. There are two safety issues with the JK I don't like, the below par headlights and the brakes. My '92 MJ with an 8.8" Ford rear axle, discs and a WJ booster will haul itself down from speed way faster with less drama than the JK and with less pedal pressure. My stock JK is around 4,000lbs. I can imagine what it must be like for forum members whose JK's are near twice that or pull trailers over 3,000lbs.:yup:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We all know what that means!!! $999.99 :cheesy: Well worth the price. My front rotors are already warped after 30,000 of running 35s. Better brake kit would resolve the issue in sure.

:cheesy: More than likely but, like you said, I think it's still well worth the price :yup:

IMHO this is rather big news. There are two safety issues with the JK I don't like, the below par headlights and the brakes. My '92 MJ with an 8.8" Ford rear axle, discs and a WJ booster will haul itself down from speed way faster with less drama than the JK and with less pedal pressure. My stock JK is around 4,000lbs. I can imagine what it must be like for forum members whose JK's are near twice that or pull trailers over 3,000lbs.:yup:

In all fairness, if all you ever drive is a lifted, built up heavy Jeep, you don't even really know that your brakes suck. You only really see how bad they are when you have something else to compare them with. :crazyeyes:

Heholua

Last week, I got a chance to see and test out a brand new Dynatrac product that will be released at the 2014 SEMA Show and it's one that I think a lot of people are going to want - a NEW JK brake system. This brake system will offer up to 30% greater stopping performance over stock and unlike other brake kits out there, it's one that addresses BOTH the front and rear brakes to utilize all available tire friction and provide a clean balanced stop. In other words, this kit offers a much flatter stop and without the kind of nose dive you typically see with other big brake kits. Below are some of the specific features and benefits the kit will offer:

Features
1. The ONLY 4 Wheel JK Brake upgrade available, not just front only.
2. Oversize 13.5” Pillar Vented Front Rotors, and 14.25” Rear Rotors.
a. Stock Front = 11.89”
b. Stock Rear = 12.44”
c. Swept Area: 16% greater front, 16.5 % greater rear​
3. New, fully tested and front/rear balanced friction materials
4. Fully Dynamometer and field-tested on instrumented test vehicle.
a. 2013 Jeep JK Unlimited, 4-inch lift, 37” tires​
5. New Caliper brackets with Straight-Beam Link for extra rigidity
6. E-coated Rotor Finishes
7. Fits inside all known aftermarket 17” and larger wheels
8. Fits stock 17” aluminum wheels when outfitted with 1.5” wheel spacer.

Benefits
1. Unrivaled stopping capability up to 30% improvement.
2. Balanced Front and Rear Brakes for optimum stopping power.
a. Best use of all available tire friction​
3. Firm and confident brake pedal feel.
4. Ideal for JK’s with 33” and larger tires.
5. Much improved holding power for hill ascent and descent, especially in low-range with Rubicon (4:1) transfer cases.
6. “Must have” upgrade for heavy JK’s with body armor, suspension upgrades, bumpers, winches, lot’s of camping gear, tools and spare parts on-board, larger tires and axle upgrades. JK’s that frequently have 3 - 4 passengers on-board with their extra gear. JK’s can exceed 7000 lbs when loaded.
7. Highly recommended for JK’s used for towing boats, campers, utility trailers, and any trailer not equipped with brakes of it’s own.
8. Pillar Vented rotors provide non-directional, superior venting. They also spread brake forces more evenly across the friction surface for best performance and longer life.
9. Stiffer Caliper support brackets for increased pad life and stopping power with improved pedal feel.
10. Easy Installation – No complicated brake bleeding, or master cylinder swaps. Just as easy as installing new OE rotors at home!​

For those of you who are interested in true deceleration numbers instead of just the standard and unrealistic 60-0 stop test that most do, here is a comparisons list ranging from light to maximum braking and measured in G's.

DECELERATION COMPARISON

MAXIMUM DECELERATION SUSTAINED

OEM JK with 37” tires: .72G (measured)
Dynatrac JK Four Brake Kit: .97G (measured) 35% better than OEM

LIGHT to MODERATE BRAKING
OEM JK with 37” tires: .25G at 250 psi line pressure (measured)
Dynatrac JK Four Brake Kit: .30G @ 250 psi line pressure (measured) 20% better than OEM

MODERATE BRAKING
OEM JK with 37” tires: .40G at 500 psi line pressure (measured)
Dynatrac JK Four Brake Kit: .51G @ 500 psi line pressure (measured) 29% better than OEM

MODERATE to AGRESSIVE BRAKING
OEM JK with 37” tires: .47G at 750 psi line pressure (measured)
Dynatrac JK Four Brake Kit: .62G @ 750 psi line pressure (measured) 31% better than OEM

AGRESSIVE BRAKING
OEM JK with 37” tires: .53G at 1000 psi line pressure (measured)
Dynatrac JK Four Brake Kit: .68G @ 1000 psi line pressure (measured) 30% better than OEM

Again, this is a brake system that I personally had the privilege of testing on a JK running 37" tires and with a ProRock 44 front and ProRock 60 rear axle and even got to compare against our 2012 JK running a similar setup and let me tell you, I was very impressed. Of course, the best part about this awesome new Dynatrac brake kit is that it's slated to be offered for just under a grand!

More pics and video highlighting will be coming your way from the 2014 SEMA Show :cool:

Eddie.....do you happen to know if the brake pads are something off the shelf or are they proprietary to Dynatrac?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Eddie.....do you happen to know if the brake pads are something off the shelf or are they proprietary to Dynatrac?

These will NOT be off the shelf pads. Dynatrac is not just providing a bigger must be better solution like some companies have. Instead, they used real engineering and have spent countless hours developing and testing proprietary rotor after rotor and with proprietary lining after lining to develop the BEST stopping performance your Jeep can provide. Now, this is not to say that if you were in a pinch and needed a new set of pads for whatever reason, you could pick up a standard set of JK pads from your local Napa Auto Parts and make them work - they just will not offer the same performance as you will get with the Dynatrac specific rotor and pads.

You won't need em with PR60's! Lol

Well, with a rear semi-float PR60, you can still use this kit. You just couldn't use it on a front 60. :cool:

Ok Eddie, you knew I'd be asking this sooner or later, lol.
Since I'm the Odd Duck on here with RockJock axles, will this kit work for me? I'm guessing it will since I'm still using my stock calipers and still have use of my factory E-brake. However, I am running a 5x5.5 bolt pattern.

Top Bottom