12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

Congrats! That’s awesome!!! Going with some one tons too?
1 tons are definitely on the to do list but i need to see where the funds land after the conversion is complete. i am going to have some suspension stuff to address especially in the rear because of how short the rear drive shaft will end up on the 2rd with that conversion. So most likely ill end up dumping some money into the suspension and wait a little bit on axles.
I was actually able to swing by Motech while i was on vacation and Kalen took me for a ride in his L99 2dr which was awesome. The LSs dont quite have the same power and torque as the LTs but he is still running D44s and with my PR44 front with the 35 spline rear and only 4.88s i think i can make them last for a while to save up for the tons. obviously i wont be able to beat on it as hard for the time being but this is kinda where i wanted to start for the future end goal. Get the motor done then build everything else around it.

Jsouder53

Hooked
1 tons are definitely on the to do list but i need to see where the funds land after the conversion is complete. i am going to have some suspension stuff to address especially in the rear because of how short the rear drive shaft will end up on the 2rd with that conversion. So most likely ill end up dumping some money into the suspension and wait a little bit on axles.
I was actually able to swing by Motech while i was on vacation and Kalen took me for a ride in his L99 2dr which was awesome. The LSs dont quite have the same power and torque as the LTs but he is still running D44s and with my PR44 front with the 35 spline rear and only 4.88s i think i can make them last for a while to save up for the tons. obviously i wont be able to beat on it as hard for the time being but this is kinda where i wanted to start for the future end goal. Get the motor done then build everything else around it.
Sounds like a great plan! An LT is certainly in my end goal, just need to settle down a bit with my house projects lol once my reroof is done, that is what I’ll be saving for.

desertrunner

How was the Rubicon last August?
It was amazing. Everything I hoped it would be. I definitely would change up our first day stop because day 2 was a pretty long day making it from little sluice to rubicon springs especially not really knowing the trail. But I'm glad we spent 2 days at the springs to have a relax no wheeling day hanging out. Absolutely not my last time doing that trail.
Sounds like a great plan! An LT is certainly in my end goal, just need to settle down a bit with my house projects lol once my reroof is done, that is what I’ll be saving for.
I really did plan on going the LS3 route just because it's not my DD and I trailer it for long drives but the more and more I talked to robbie and Kalen they convinced me to go the L86 with the Lt1 intake and low miles 10 speed route. Especially because it's hardly more expensive than the LS at this point.

desertrunner

So while i anxiously await my jeep paying a visit to Motceh im trying to figure out how i want to spend my remaining budget.
I have plans for them to just add the PSC pump and reservoir and ported box while everything is all torn apart it seems like a good time as any to just do that.
I probably have just barely enough to get 1 tons, maybe not the Fusions that i want but will selling my old axles i can probably swing some UD60s. The unfortunate thing about that is ill really have nothing left to address some things i think i will need when it gets back.
My old Warn powerplant will have to go, same with my under hood compressor for lockers so ill probably end up with something like the ARB twin for the lockers and air up.
Talking to Robby the rear driveshaft gets real short on the 2dr builds so having the correct driveshaft angle is pretty important. My rear suspension is probably the least built of anything on the jeep so im contemplating just going with a long arm now.

so what do you guys think? go with some UD60 and deal with no PSC / suspension thats not quite up to par. Or trust the PR44 and 35 spline rear to hold up and address basically everything else like hydro assist, long arm, (wish i had the budget for DTD but cant) maybe some coilovers or at least some bypass shocks?

jeeeep

Hooked
that much power, I'd go 60's.
My initial thought was control the skinny pedal and get the PSC to make it easier to turn those Coopers especially on the trail but then I asked myself what would I do.... control the skinny pedal with an LT? 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
1st 3 months I'd be lucky to get 3 mpg

desertrunner

If you’re getting the bigger power plant, get the 60’s…and get the rest when you can
that much power, I'd go 60's.
My initial thought was control the skinny pedal and get the PSC to make it easier to turn those Coopers especially on the trail but then I asked myself what would I do.... control the skinny pedal with an LT? 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂
1st 3 months I'd be lucky to get 3 mpg
axles was my initial first thought as well until i went in to the shop and Kalen took me for a test ride in his L99 2dr. granted the L99 is a little lower on torque than the L86 but he was anything but easy on the skinny pedal and been running his stock D44s for years with it. I do have the benefit of the 2dr being much lighter than the 4dr im only sitting at like 4500 lbs. The reason i keep going back and forth is that it would be so convenient for Motech to do the PSC and long arm while its there vs me doing it myself later. yeah i have a welder and can manage but the convenience factor is a tough one. im like 60/40 on not doing axles but i still have about 5 months to mull it over so any opinions are welcome

jeeeep

Hooked
axles was my initial first thought as well until i went in to the shop and Kalen took me for a test ride in his L99 2dr. granted the L99 is a little lower on torque than the L86 but he was anything but easy on the skinny pedal and been running his stock D44s for years with it. I do have the benefit of the 2dr being much lighter than the 4dr im only sitting at like 4500 lbs. The reason i keep going back and forth is that it would be so convenient for Motech to do the PSC and long arm while its there vs me doing it myself later. yeah i have a welder and can manage but the convenience factor is a tough one. im like 60/40 on not doing axles but i still have about 5 months to mull it over so any opinions are welcome
"Motech to do the PSC and long arm while its there" that sounds like the better way to go.

I have the same Cooper 37x13.5's on the JKU, once I got the PSC installed it was a huge difference. I can park without making a 2 point turn lol but being able to turn on the trail with lockers engaged is awesome and saved me from doing body damage more than once.

Before PSC, I was disengaging the front locker well in advance so I could make the turns and also having to use the pedal a lot more to get over an obstacle. Being able to turn with lockers on allows me to go slow and crawl over most things or get the wheels straight to unlock the fronts if needed.

desertrunner

welp i got a date set up with Motech for the drop off. It goes in April 5th. seems like forever in the making but im so damn excited! One thing to note as i was talking with them, they are trying to avoid doing extra work to rigs now (like the long arm i was planning) just because their wait times are getting so long. So for now im just going to throw a new set of rear adjustable lowers on it that way i have fully adjustable in the rear for the short driveshaft. They did however say they are still good to install the PSC stuff since thats related to the motor swap. not sure if they are going to fully set up the Ram yet but at least the power steering pump, gearbox and reservoir will all be installed at the time of the swap.

Jsouder53

Hooked
welp i got a date set up with Motech for the drop off. It goes in April 5th. seems like forever in the making but im so damn excited! One thing to note as i was talking with them, they are trying to avoid doing extra work to rigs now (like the long arm i was planning) just because their wait times are getting so long. So for now im just going to throw a new set of rear adjustable lowers on it that way i have fully adjustable in the rear for the short driveshaft. They did however say they are still good to install the PSC stuff since thats related to the motor swap. not sure if they are going to fully set up the Ram yet but at least the power steering pump, gearbox and reservoir will all be installed at the time of the swap.
That’s awesome to hear!! Congrats!!

desertrunner

In preparation for my jeep to go over to motech, got my rubi t case swapped over with my dad's sport case. All skid plates out, and winch removed. Next up gonna get some new adjustable rear lower control arms put in and then remove some other odds and ends to make it easier for them to pull the body off.
If anyone needs a warn powerplant or some skid plates check out the for sale thread haha.
Getting closer I can't freaking wait!

20230331_151015.jpg 20230401_091858.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
In preparation for my jeep to go over to motech, got my rubi t case swapped over with my dad's sport case. All skid plates out, and winch removed. Next up gonna get some new adjustable rear lower control arms put in and then remove some other odds and ends to make it easier for them to pull the body off.
If anyone needs a warn powerplant or some skid plates check out the for sale thread haha.

View attachment 387272 View attachment 387273
That’s awesome! When does it go in?

JT@623

Hooked

View attachment 387272 View attachment 387273
You won’t be disappointed when you get it back 👍

Top Bottom