12' Gecko Build

desertrunner

You could send the 4 door back to Hawaii... I’ll take care of it for you while you work on the 2 door. Just an option..

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE
Hahaha other than the leaky coolant issue the 4dr has treated me well and it's here to stay. Just love having issues with both at the same time that's not fun.

I have caught myself a few times grabbing on the the steering wheel to get in and out of it with the bucket seats and I'm wondering if I just pulled on it too hard 1 too many times. I can live without a horn for a few days though. 4dr should be all buttoned up by tomorrow as long as this next flush looks pretty clear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

desertrunner

Some fun things coming in April for the 2dr. Trying to check off a few items that will step up the build a bit. Trail ready beadlocks are ordered and should ship mid April. Went with triple bronze wheels and black slim rings. I also just ordered a set of evo weld on sliders high angle. Force me to get the welder out again and use it and finally ditch the rubi sliders. Last piece of the puzzle I wanna get to this summer is a ported big bore box with the PSC pump. Give me a piece of mind and better turning with the 37s and be ready for a long distance goal of 1 tons and 40s.

WJCO

Meme King
:thumb: Thanks guys! i saved up a bit of cash to do phase 1 of the build and once i get this T case in i am officially out of cash haha.

End goal for this guy is gonna be 37s anyway so that stock 30 will fingers crossed be a PR44 in a year or 2. Hopefully i can live with the 3.21s for now, the rubi case will help in 4 lo for now

Give me a piece of mind and better turning with the 37s and be ready for a long distance goal of 1 tons and 40s.

And...There it is. A real Jeeper. The final goal line keeps getting bigger and bigger.

18_JKU

Just read through your whole thread as my search lead me here, awesome build for one! I have the EVO 2” springs in my JKU with a set of falcons that I feel are too short, I’m looking to go for a build similar to yours but I’m going to be capped at a 35” tire for now (have 285/75r17’s now). What are your extended length on the shocks now? And your running a 3/4” spacer in front? I have the 2” EVO springs up front and synergy 1” springs in the rear. Going to run a 5100 16.41” compressed 27.56” extended upfront but need to measure what I need for the rear, right now the falcons are 24.4”/16” and I think they are a little short.

desertrunner

Just read through your whole thread as my search lead me here, awesome build for one! I have the EVO 2” springs in my JKU with a set of falcons that I feel are too short, I’m looking to go for a build similar to yours but I’m going to be capped at a 35” tire for now (have 285/75r17’s now). What are your extended length on the shocks now? And your running a 3/4” spacer in front? I have the 2” EVO springs up front and synergy 1” springs in the rear. Going to run a 5100 16.41” compressed 27.56” extended upfront but need to measure what I need for the rear, right now the falcons are 24.4”/16” and I think they are a little short.
I'll have to double check the part number on the rancho 9000 shocks I have up front but I do know on their website it says for a 4" lift. And yeah I have the evo 2" plush rides with a 3/4" spacer up front running 37s
Honestly I set it up originally without the spacer and the same shocks and at full droop it was just barely able to keep some pressure on the coils. With the spacer I'm not worried about them falling out

Edit looks like they are the 331s so extended 27.05" and 16.63" compressed

My rears are weird because I have the evo rockstar skids so I honestly think they are stock length. I probably could go longer but when I measured I got close to unseating the coils so I went conservative

Last edited:

desertrunner

New updates on the 2dr project. Evo sliders are in and got the final coat of paint on them. While those sit I pulled the skins off and man they did not fare well over the last few years. I'm really tempted to have them sand blasted and completely re coated because they are rough. Oh and the trail ready beadlocks will be here on Wednesday. And I finally got the gas for my welder so it's time to break that guy out and make sure I remember how to weld before taking on the sliders 20210430_211523.jpg 20210430_215338.jpg 20210430_215348.jpg

desertrunner

Well the skin "touch up" became way more involved than just that. It was pretty clear that 75% of the powder coat was pealing and bubbling with rust so to the angle grinder I went. Stripper disk made quick work of the powder coat and rust and you can even see where the rust started eating metal. Guess now I'll have a fresh start and I can coat them the exact same as my sliders 20210501_121056.jpg 20210501_130525.jpg 20210501_124054.jpg

desertrunner

This was probably the worst of the metal scars. Cleaned them up the best I could with my angle grinder and got the primer on today. I'm concerned that some parts in-between the evo logo cut out and the bolt holes will end up peeling again. But in lieu of trying to get them sand blasted somewhere here in town it will have to do. Had some concerning looking spots on the body of the jeep too. I'm hoping it's just stains from the rust on the skins but we shall see when I pull it in the garage and get the body cleaned up more. I think I'm gonna seal the top of the skins this time around when I put them back on because it was nasty under there. 20210501_174442.jpg 20210501_174433.jpg 20210501_181820.jpg

desertrunner

Finally getting the tires de mounted tomorrow. Tried all the tricks and just couldn't seem to break the bead on these coopers. Threw one of the new TRs on to make sure they would fit and of course to check out how they would look. I'm stoked these are gonna be awesome
20210611_203841.jpg

Jsouder53

Hooked
Finally getting the tires de mounted tomorrow. Tried all the tricks and just couldn't seem to break the bead on these coopers. Threw one of the new TRs on to make sure they would fit and of course to check out how they would look. I'm stoked these are gonna be awesome
View attachment 364045
Those are going to look awesome!!! Are they a bronze finish or is that just the lighting?

desertrunner

Got the first one mounted up. Took about 3 hours, taking my time, watching videos, learning as I go. Hopefully the others will take half the time.
BUT can't mount them on the jeep yet because now my lug nuts are too short. It's always something.... But hey small victory tonight for my first ever beadlock. 20210612_210627.jpg

desertrunner

Got a surprise day off today for the new federal holiday finally had time to finish mounting the Trail Readys and the new longer lug nuts showed up this morning perfect timing. Still gotta put the skins back on and weld the sliders but 1 thing at a time 20210618_123819.jpg 20210618_145215.jpg

Top Bottom