10k with a 1/2 ton

desertrunner

I think what everyone is saying is definitely where my head is at. I may not tow super often but when I do it's 3k+ mile trips not through flat land and it's going to be very hard on a 1/2 ton safety concerns aside. The wife even mentioned then we could add things like dirt bikes for the kids later and anything else we decide to add to the family.
Now if I can just find a damn 3/4 ton we like in the near future that would be great.

Primo82

Caught the Bug
I think what everyone is saying is definitely where my head is at. I may not tow super often but when I do it's 3k+ mile trips not through flat land and it's going to be very hard on a 1/2 ton safety concerns aside. The wife even mentioned then we could add things like dirt bikes for the kids later and anything else we decide to add to the family.
Now if I can just find a damn 3/4 ton we like in the near future that would be great.
Man good luck finding something. If it's not a huge rush I'd recommend waiting till the fuckery ends... You'd get a better deal i'd guess.

Ddays

Hooked
This is what I was going to say. Unless something says it's specifically rated to run at it's rating, I always err on the side of caution and try to keep loads under 80%. This goes for everything from electrical circuits I need to lay out to towing and anything in between I don't know anything about :p.

My wife wants to get a horse trailer to take her horses to trails and wanted me to pull it with my jeep (she doesn't know any better). I said no way. And I probably wouldn't even pull a horse trailer on a 3/4 ton. I want a 1 ton with a 5th wheel. Safety and safety factor to make sure I don't toast the engine and transmission.
My wife has a gas 250HD and it pulls her trailer easily. It does help that it's all aluminum. Mileage is shitty but there are no issues with it. I also tow my Jeep with it on a 26' gooseneck.

Attachments

• 20180610_093622_resized.jpg
    20180610_093622_resized.jpg
    1,021.5 KB · Views: 13

Primo82

Caught the Bug
My wife has a gas 250HD and it pulls her trailer easily. It does help that it's all aluminum. Mileage is shitty but there are no issues with it. I also tow my Jeep with it on a 26' gooseneck.
That's very similar to the trailer she's looking at. How many horses do you pull? Any idea what the max load you've pulled with that are?

I did look at several 2500/F250 models. The ones at the upper end of the load rating seemed like they had plenty of safety factor. It seemed like there were some models of 3/4 ton with lower tow ratings. But I won't write them off completely.

Ddays

Hooked
That's very similar to the trailer she's looking at. How many horses do you pull? Any idea what the max load you've pulled with that are?

I did look at several 2500/F250 models. The ones at the upper end of the load rating seemed like they had plenty of safety factor. It seemed like there were some models of 3/4 ton with lower tow ratings. But I won't write them off completely.
She only pulls 2. The bulk of that trailer is the living space.
The Jeep and deck over gooseneck weigh more that the horse trailer I think. Even with 2 horses in it. Jeep weighs 6500 and trailer around 3-4 so I'd say most I've hauled is around 10k. The gas truck has done well, plenty of power. Just NEVER look at the fuel mileage or you'll puke

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
Don’t overlook gas burners either. Half of the trucks I see at RV sites burn gasoline.

desertrunner

Don’t overlook gas burners either. Half of the trucks I see at RV sites burn gasoline.
yeah I'm looking at both the gassers and diesels. I've never owned a diesel so it might just be more things to learn as far as maintenance goes. the fact that I'm not towing all the time make gas an equal or even more appealing option.

desertrunner

Man good luck finding something. If it's not a huge rush I'd recommend waiting till the fuckery ends... You'd get a better deal i'd guess.
oh i can find them, they are just stupid expensive as to be expected right now. sad that CPOs with 30k miles on them are only 2k cheaper than new. Im thinking we might order a new one and wait the 6-9 months. no point in spending new price on a used one when i can wait.

Irish JK

Caught the Bug
If you have reasonable expectations about your towing, a properly setup 1/2 ton such as a f150 EB CC 6.75’ max tow may be just fine. That looks to be rated about 13,800lbs with 2,640lbs payload, which is actually more “rated” weights than a lot of loaded f250s. I’d say your 10k trailer gvw is about right as that’s what mine about grosses. For everyone saying they’d only run 80%, this is less, in the low 70s percent capacity. And these days the SAE ratings are pretty legit.

I definitely would not go long haul though without brakes on both trailer axles, a good weight distributing hitch, etc, etc. If you don’t plan to throw dirt bikes etc in the bed, you should be fine on payload, however do verify the rear axle rating. I wouldn’t plan on running the west coast at 80mph, 65 and a bunch of fuel stops is probably more like it.

The Ford full-size truck cabs are very family friendly. The surround view cameras definitely help with in town driving.

Top Bottom