ZERO TOPAZ

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Since we had Moby with us, as in, had a winch - Cindy and I decided that it was time to finally pull the escape pod back on its feet.

20221009213417-0554d07f.jpg

20221009213435-29bcf198.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
In other news... the Made in the USA Golden Stag gloves I bought have been, without question, the nicest and most comfortable heavy duty leather gloves I've bought to date. They literally "fit like a glove" and are very nice to wear. That said... I'm sad to say that they didn't last any longer than the other cheaper gloves I've bought :(

IMG_0763.JPG

Being that they cost more than double than other gloves, I decided to give them a bit more life by bandaging them up.
IMG_0765.JPG

(y)

TrailHunter

Hooked
In other news... the Made in the USA Golden Stag gloves I bought have been, without question, the nicest and most comfortable heavy duty leather gloves I've bought to date. They literally "fit like a glove" and are very nice to wear. That said... I'm sad to say that they didn't last any longer than the other cheaper gloves I've bought :(

View attachment 380563

Being that they cost more than double than other gloves, I decided to give them a bit more life by bandaging them up.
View attachment 380564

(y)
I keep Mechanix Gloves in my truck, Jeep, shop… but like yours any abrasive things like rough branches, rock, stone or cinderblock will tear them up… We buy packs of the rubber coated gloves for work that do well with concrete, stone, block etc… they seem to hold up better and are much cheaper.

similar to these:
5-Pair Pack Wells Lamont Nitrile Work Gloves | Lightweight, Abrasion Resistant | Large (580LA) , Grey https://a.co/d/2mo2oKJ

Jsouder53

Hooked
I keep Mechanix Gloves in my truck, Jeep, shop… but like yours any abrasive things like rough branches, rock, stone or cinderblock will tear them up… We buy packs of the rubber coated gloves for work that do well with concrete, stone, block etc… they seem to hold up better and are much cheaper.

similar to these:
5-Pair Pack Wells Lamont Nitrile Work Gloves | Lightweight, Abrasion Resistant | Large (580LA) , Grey https://a.co/d/2mo2oKJ
That’s what I used to wear when I packed Sheetrock. They held up for at least a pair a week, my team and I were packing about 1,000 sheets a day too.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

similar to these:
That’s what I used to wear when I packed Sheetrock. They held up for at least a pair a week, my team and I were packing about 1,000 sheets a day too.
Thank you for the heads up on these gloves. I've been wearing the leather ones because of all the barbed wire work I had been doing but I do think a lot of the wear has been coming from loading up the dump trailer with old wood, concrete and shit like that. I think I'll give these a try (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

similar to these:
Just wanted to thank you again for the tip. I was able to find these at my local ranch store and they were only $9 for a set of 3. So far so good too 👍🏻

9E965B5F-A975-4471-B23B-723F4DF7AD85.jpeg
F65CFAB1-66A0-42E9-B74B-9CFF6AE3BF54.jpeg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Cool! Should save ya a couple bucks in the long run. 👍🏽
Honestly, that's all I'm hoping for. No need for these things to last forever but a decent set of leather gloves cost about $15 and the made in the USA ones cost over $35 so I'm pretty happy replacing these at 3 for $9 (y)

Just gotta be careful with the old nails as they don't hold up too well to them LOL

CalSgt

Hooked
The only issue I ever had with the rubber palmed gloves was smell. I discovered wearing them every day in winter that they can get to stinking from getting wet every day. It was bad enough the stink wouldn't wash off of my hands. It took me a few days to figure out it was the gloves making my hands stink. I started replacing them every few weeks after that and it didn't happen anymore. That was like 20 years ago though, maybe the newer ones don't have that problem.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the many projects that Cindy has been working on has been to clean up and covert the old stable into a nice hangout patio bar. As you may recall, this is what it looked like when we first bought the place.
20220602121011-28bbbff7.jpg

20220602121024-f954fc88.jpg

And, after a lot of work, we got all the crap cleaned out of it and did some repairs to help ensure it won't fall down.
20220829194616-c4ad8b52.jpg

20220829194351-f8006262.jpg

20220829194328-6d70272a.jpg

Now, after a LOT of hard work digging the compacted ground by hand, removing large rocks - by hand and leveling the ground - by hand, building retaining walls and thresholds - by hand and using sand and rocks laying around the property... this is what the stable looked like.
20221023101705-6091dc95.jpg

20221023101658-ec89d62e.jpg

After what seemed like forever or at least, the better part of summer, Cindy could finally lay in some flagstone.
20221023101723-18d43e92.jpg

20221023101629-b04b73ea.jpg

20221023101619-f2e8636c.jpg

Filling in the gaps. Fortunately, there is an ample supply of the flagstone at the south end of the property. The hard part is getting it up to the stable in a wheelbarrow LOL. Still a bit of a ways to go but this is what it's looked like now or at least, as of this weekend.
20221023101636-0d0aa2f3.jpg

20221023101646-501a0d70.jpg

20221023101652-c2d46ed5.jpg

She was really hoping to get this done before winter but there's definitely a chill in the air now and we might have to wait till spring. Bummer.

Top Bottom