Z Automotive JL/JT OEM Locker Sensor Bypass

I came across this today and thought I would share it in case I wasn't the only one and if someone is experiencing locker issues. I have heard of the OEM locker sensors in the JL/JT being an issue/failing and ultimately giving the "service axle locker" indicator on the dash keeping you from using the lockers. With parts being on nationwide back order, replacements are pretty much impossible to find.

Z Automotive now has this bypass that fixes this issue without effecting the OEM computer and is a simple plug and play. Here is the information direct from Z Automotive;

"Developed in a partnership with Americas Most Wanted 4X4! The locker sensor in Wrangler JL and Gladiator Rubicons have started to become problematic. When they fail, it usually starts out as a blinking locker indicator on the dash, which then ends up in a “service axle locker” message. Once the locker system is in this fault state, the lockers will no longer engage.

The repair would normally be to replace the sensor, but the part is not available separately. The next best thing would be to replace the locker assembly, but that’s not available either. The current solution is to replace the entire axle assembly, but due to the commonality of this problem, they are on national back-order.

The Z-Locker-OEM solves this problem. Bypassing the problematic sensor, it allows the locker to operate without the position sensor yet provides the proper feedback to the Jeep’s computers to keep the system operational without any errors or warnings. You get fully functioning lockers with no side effects from using the Z-Locker-OEM.

Installation is simple; unplug the locker, plug the Z-Locker-OEM in between the axle and Jeep harness. This can be done in seconds with no tools. Will not harm the Jeep’s computers – it uses the same signaling that it expects from the sensor. Connectors are the same ones used by Jeep and are watertight.

Package contains one Z-Locker-OEM, to service one failed axle locker."

If you have used this already, did it fix the issue?

z locker oem.png

z locker oem installed.jpg

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Good post with great info. Had problems with our JLUR locker a while back and just bypassed it with an OE 2-wire harness. Connected it to the auxiliary switch but would have given this a look had it been available back then.

Good post with great info. Had problems with our JLUR locker a while back and just bypassed it with an OE 2-wire harness. Connected it to the auxiliary switch but would have given this a look had it been available back then.
I mean $179 is a good chunk of change but beats waiting on a dealer and makes it pretty easy for anyone to install to get working lockers again.

Lperdue

That's about a $100 more than a wiring harness but then, you can still keep the factory switch.
Not only that but even if you bypass it completely you still have to use the Tazer JL to turn off your front and rear locker along with the FAD (since you can't disable the rear locker without disabling the FAD).

Sadly I learned this the hard way, I disabled the rear locker without doing the FAD and got a bunch of error codes. Ultimately I was forced to by the Z automotive locker sensor bypass.😞

4PLAY

When I installed the Dana UD44 w/4.88's I contacted Dana and was told that on Dana branded UD44's, should the locker position sensor fail, Dana would offer a replacement part just for the sensor...wish to hell Jeep would do this and not insist on replacing the entire axle assembly!
On the stock rear axle when I installed 4.88 gears and chromoly axle shafts (just over 11,000 miles) I inspected the sensor closely and while it did still work, it also was about 1/4 filled with oil. (Oil leaking into the sensor is the number cause of sensor failure) So, since Jeep/Mopar refuse to sell just the sensor, I cleaned out the oil and 'potted' the sensor-problem solved!

E84D4B8F-6598-4122-BD33-D770AC1E32E9.jpeg 5BCA4E07-5517-48EB-95AA-81AE1FF0FD14.jpeg

Top Bottom