Wranglers as a photographer’s vehicle

ChillyBeez

I’m a second time Wrangler owner, sold mine in 2014, now waiting on delivery of 2021 JL soft top in January when I return from Japan. I’m researching items for a wish list, already have lockable storage and other general accessories on my list. I’m curious about hacks, modifications, or gear ideas photographers have come up with for shooting out of their Wranglers. Also would love some “do’s” and “dont’s” too. I also posted this in another Wrangler forum…

WJCO

Meme King
Because there’s lots experience in both forums. If it’s not relevant to you don’t comment, pretty basic.
I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but the owners of the forum here pay out of their own pockets to keep it running so that members like yourself can be here for free. Mentioning that you posted on another Jeep forum is poor taste. It would have been better left out of your post.

Upvote 0

ChillyBeez

My apologies, I certainly didn’t mean to offend you or anyone else, especially the forum owners. I’m not able edit this original thread nor delete the thread at the other forum. I also can’t delete my account at the other forum but have logged out to let that account go dormant. This is where I want to be. Again, I hope this post didn’t offend anyone.

Upvote 0

ChillyBeez

I know there is one professional photographer that used to post up here.... I think most just fumble with their phone camera while driving... lol... Oh... Brute is the resident expert on Landscape mode shots... or Portrait... or Landscape... or Portrait.... He's an abstract artist.
I've been shooting more and more with my iPhone as they get better. It's kind of like concealed carry, the one you have is better than the one sitting at home! I'll try to find Brute, thanks!

Upvote 0

TrailHunter

Hooked
I've been shooting more and more with my iPhone as they get better. It's kind of like concealed carry, the one you have is better than the one sitting at home! I'll try to find Brute, thanks!
Yeah... they are pretty amazing... The wife and I have a nice Digital SLR and I REALLY enjoy photography... but generally on family trips with the kids or rock crawling trips... there just isn't time to focus on it... The phone is just so easy.... But I always tell the wife, when the kids move out and we can do more trips by ourselves, I want us to focus on photography a lot more.... Searching for that great shot together..... Fyi, the Brute thing was a joke... you'll figure it out if you stick around... Just rotate your Head. Lol

Upvote 0

ChillyBeez

Yeah... they are pretty amazing... The wife and I have a nice Digital SLR and I REALLY enjoy photography... but generally on family trips with the kids or rock crawling trips... there just isn't time to focus on it... The phone is just so easy.... But I always tell the wife, when the kids move out and we can do more trips by ourselves, I want us to focus on photography a lot more.... Searching for that great shot together..... Fyi, the Brute thing was a joke... you'll figure it out if you stick around... Just rotate your Head. Lol
Haha, gotcha. I haven't been in a forum in years, there's lots to learn here. My wife is active duty Navy and I'm retired, we bought retirement gifts for ourselves, her's was a Ford Explorer and mine is a JL Willys Sport, we pick them up at the end of the year. We're in Japan and got great deals on stateside delivery. That's why I'm here, I used to own a 2006 Wrangler Sport, just getting back in to the Jeep thing before I get it.

Upvote 0
Besides security and storage which you said you've already seen there's really nothing else different from any other vehicle unless you want to mount the camera in which case there's some companies that make dash cross bars for mounting things.

Upvote 0

ChillyBeez

Besides security and storage which you said you've already seen there's really nothing else different from any other vehicle unless you want to mount the camera in which case there's some companies that make dash cross bars for mounting things.
I've been away from Jeeps for 7 year and know that new stuff comes out all the time. Thanks for the reply.

Upvote 0
Fellow Photog here. Being able to pop open the top gives options you just can't get in any other vehicle. In a jeep you can open the sunrider top and stand up. This let's you quickly get the shot. No waiting to get out of the vehicle, then walk around to the other side. Brace yourself and you have a mobile tripod, especially if someone else is driving. You could also install a tripod mount on a rollbar. Being able to stand up and look out 360 degrees is a big deal. In Africa it's a safety feature. When you stay inside the cab you don't look like food to the big predators. And of course it's a jeep so it can go places that other vehicles can't go. On our African trips we always carried two spare tires, which is pretty standard equipment in Africa. Even our Toyota minivan had two spares.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom