Winch for Moab trip?

RJV

I am heading out to Moab in September, super excited to see the promised land! Taking my stock JLU Sahara. I've added 33" ATs, Rough Country diff skids, and rock rails from a Rubicon. Already have a GMRS radio and Viair air compressor too. I'm planning on mostly easy to moderate trails (hired a trail guide to do Hell's Revenge with), but am wondering if a winch would be valuable out there? I just don't see any trees in the pictures or vids so I'm not even sure what'd I'd winch from! What does everyone here think? Needed or useful on easy to moderate trails?

black pearl

Hooked
I personally don’t think having a winch is ever a bad idea. You never know when you’ll need it. It’s also highly considered a piece of safety equipment. That being said. Moab in spots do have winch points. Or you can winch to another Jeep.

Upvote 0

kevman65

Hooked
Big rocks (boulders) and other vehicles are anchors too.

Somewhere like that, first time, yes get the winch and some recovery gear.

Upvote 0

Tixslam

Better to have a winch and not need it than need it and not have it. Having said that, in Moab there is almost always someone on the trail and in general they'll be happy to give a tug if needed.

Upvote 0

GP NOIR

Hooked
Absolutely, winches are valuable in Moab. There are places in Moab that, if you get into trouble, a winch is needed and many have winch points set in the rock.

If you have the means, get a winch. But if not, don’t let that stop you. With good judgement, you can run much of Moab without one.

Winch or no winch, take good recovery gear like tug straps, shackles and a bottle jack with pad adaptors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RJV

Thanks for the advice everyone! Ended up getting a rubicon sway bar with an evo disconnect first. I was afraid of having to switch out the bumper/suspension for the winch right before a trip given how hard parts are to get these days in case something got messed up, plus don't have the time to install it before then. Rubi sway bar will increase my capabilities a lot!

Upvote 0
I was always taught, you should really have a winch, period. However, I would say at a minimum, don’t wheel alone without a winch.

I’ve set out alone on a trail I've done many times, with no intention of needing to winch. The trail was dry and clear at the beginning, but then I found myself in a bad snow storm. Without my winch, I definitely would have had to hike out.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom