winch bolt torque?

Holeshot

Banned
Hey guys, I just got my winch installed a couple weeks ago and, I had to replace the bolts supplied for longer ones. The supplied bolts were 8.8 metric bolts (non graded), and I replaced with 10.9 metric bolts (graded). Now My question is, is there a torque spec I should use? I don't remember when I installed my old warn on my TJ since it's like 4 or 5 years ago.

I used my impact wrench, which is a CP734H, to the first speed, which torque to about something like 70 to 90lbs. I haven't tried it on the trail yet, I probably will this weekend, so before something bad happen... just want to be reassured i'm ok :brows:

Any advice is welcome!

Holeshot

Banned
god damn! I think I'm a little obcessed with proper torquing on crucial parts... I've researched over some forum and found most people torque them between 30 and 40lbs :eek:

I'm a little too high :doh:

Deuane

I did not know there was a torque for a winch, I just tighten it did not have any issue, I winch other vehicle out of the sand more weight than my Jeep JK. People think they can drive a regular vehicle with just no 4x4 or with 4x4 with no low gear in the sand.. For a YJ on a warn winch, the winch itself it torque at 30 ft lb. the base plate is torque at 75 ft lb. There not much information you can found on it. I had to look it up on Google...

rtguy1

installed my winch the other day....the warn instructions said 30lbs. i also used a factor55 winch lock to replace one of the bolts and it gave a spec of 25lbs. hope this helps.:beer:

i was careful to not over torque mine. the new warn zeon is aluminum. didn't want to damage it.

Last edited:

MTG

Caught the Bug
I got mine as tight as I could with the small wrench and my fat fingers jammed into the little opening of my bumper.

So I'd say they are torqued to exactly 28.76345 ft pounds (except the front passenger side which is at 28.76125 as it was a little harder to reach).

:cheesy:

Holeshot

Banned
lolll

I guess I'll give it a try as is. Too much is sometimes no better than not enough but, I guess I haven't exaggerated. Never tested how much torque my impact wrench is putting on fist speed but, I guess it's around 60 ft/lbs.

Top Bottom