Who here grooves/cuts their tires?

holliewood61

I'm basically starting this thread to help those interested in modifying their tires to know what works, and what doesn't. So feel free to post up what you're doing and how you feel about the results.

These are the Irok's I'm running on my trail rig. I cut the interlocking part out of the lugs with a #12 blade and added grooves in the center, and on the outer lugs with a #4 blade.

Here is a before and after of the Falken Wildpeak A\T's on the tow pig. We all know you lose half your grooves on these at about half tread. All cuts were done with a #4 blade.

Lets see what the rest of y'all are doing.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
I have always been curious about this. Sure seems like a easy way to fix those falkens after good wear. The only time I have seen this done was to add some siping for better winter driving on some MT tires.

WJCO

Meme King
I did siping on my MTs. It helped for sure, but in the future, I won't be buying those tires for the roads around here. I haven't noticed any abnormal wear at all. They siped them across the whole tread except the last half inch of the outer lugs on the inner and outer sidewalls.

Moabbnd

I grooved and siped a set of Wildpeak AT01s to help with traction. Both helped a lot

sipedwildpeaks.jpg

20160412_165907.jpg

Last edited:

GraniteCrystal

I did siping on my MTs. It helped for sure, but in the future, I won't be buying those tires for the roads around here. I haven't noticed any abnormal wear at all. They siped them across the whole tread except the last half inch of the outer lugs on the inner and outer sidewalls.

Do the SSTs you're looking at have siping? I thought they looked like a mud terrain tire.

WJCO

Meme King
Do the SSTs you're looking at have siping? I thought they looked like a mud terrain tire.

Yes. They have a small amount but the sipes are multi directional and the tread blocks are different sizes.

DiscovererSTTPro_LgTread.png

The bfg MTS I have now come with none.

bfg_mudterrain_takm_ci1_l.jpg

The newer Mt, km2 has some now.

bfgoodrich-mudterraintakm2-rwl-jpg-crop-x1000.jpg

John82601

I did a little "freshening" on my BFG 33x10.5's and it made a dramatic difference in their traction on hard packed snow.

Before:
P1010004.jpg

After:
P1010003.jpg

professorkx

It not uncommon for me to cut my dual sport motorcycle tires for more traction in the dirt, but I'm not planning any cutting for the jeep. The tire shop did siping on my 35 inch KM2 tires, but won't do it again, as a few little chunks got torn out of the tires in jagged rocks, but no enough to be a problem. I will continue siping on my wifes 2009 JK, but her off road work is the dirt/snow covered road to our house.

Top Bottom