Which lockers to choose on JLU?

yetithejeep

One of the projects I'm looking to do on my JLU is to install lockers. And there are so many types. My thinking though is to get air lockers since I want to get on-board air compressor anyway and ARB twin can power both. Any pros/cons?

Additionally, I am looking for some 1-ton front-end parts. Any recommendations?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
One of the projects I'm looking to do on my JLU is to install lockers. And there are so many types. My thinking though is to get air lockers since I want to get on-board air compressor anyway and ARB twin can power both. Any pros/cons?

Additionally, I am looking for some 1-ton front-end parts. Any recommendations?

Being that you're looking for 1-ton parts, is it safe to assume you're running or are going to be running 1-tons now? If so, what kind?

Regarding lockers, I've always been a fan of ARB being that they're strong and give you instant results. However, in recent years, I've been struggling to keep being a fan of them if only because of all the leaks I constantly have. And, I don't mean leaks in the air line but rather, leaks at the o-rings inside the locker itself. On something like a ProRock 80, it's a real pain to replace and so far, it doesn't seem to help. If you decide to go this route, I would highly recommend that you use traditional dino fluid instead of synth as the later will cause the o-rings to go bad faster.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0

WJCO

Meme King
I, too, have had two internal ARB leaks. It sucks to repair. Other than that, I love them, and chances are most guys are going to run an air compressor anyways for their tires. Kinda a catch 22. I know others that have had constant leak issues but I also know others who have had no issues at all.

Upvote 0

Jkzinger

Caught the Bug
I am going to also say skip the air lockers. I am also battling a damn internal leak that is really a pain to fix. Wish I would have gone e-lockers on my ProRock 60s. May still have them swapped out if I get pissed enough.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Upvote 0

wjtstudios

Hooked
I may be one of those that has not had any internal air leaks on any of the ARBs I’ve run. I love them and how quick they engage. E lockers can take some time to engage and if you are in a bad line or need to lock up quick in the rocks, E lockers can be a pain. I’d rather have an air leak than be suck in that position

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Upvote 0

jab1719

I enjoy my ARB but I did have an o-ring in the diff leak. I’m a little paranoid it’s gonna happen again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

JJ151

I’ve had ARB lockers in my pro rock 60’s in my 98 TJ since 2003/2008 (rear/front) with absolutely no issues. However, in 2019 I installed XD60’s w/ARB’s in my 2016 JKUR. Rear ARB failed within 4 months. ARB replaced the locker. During early COVID period the rear locker began leaking. I was recently able to get it fixed at a local shop and ARB paid for the seal but is fighting me on the labor. I wish I would have switched to elockers instead this time around. It’s hard as my 98 TJ has worked so well for so long though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Upvote 0

Kuboske

I'd like to add a question to this question...
What kind of air pressure is going to these failing seals? Does ARB include an inline regulator to limit the pressure?
This should be easy for ARB engineers, to fix. All heavy truck transmissions, (modern ones) use air piston, to shift fork, range shifters. But, they have air filters and regulators to limit maximum truck air, (120 PSI) and control what gets to the cylinder.
Sounds to me like ARB better get on this.

Upvote 0

fiend

Caught the Bug
I dont have a JL, but I’m not sure it matters for this question. I have several friends that have had leaking ARBs, in various types of axles. Personally, my next set of axles will have e-lockers.

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve had ARB lockers in my pro rock 60’s in my 98 TJ since 2003/2008 (rear/front) with absolutely no issues. However, in 2019 I installed XD60’s w/ARB’s in my 2016 JKUR. Rear ARB failed within 4 months. ARB replaced the locker. During early COVID period the rear locker began leaking. I was recently able to get it fixed at a local shop and ARB paid for the seal but is fighting me on the labor. I wish I would have switched to elockers instead this time around. It’s hard as my 98 TJ has worked so well for so long though.

I would guess cheaper manufacturing. Seems that’s pretty common that the old ones were good and new ones seem to fail.

Upvote 0

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I would guess cheaper manufacturing. Seems that’s pretty common that the old ones were good and new ones seem to fail.

I have to agree with this being more of a now versus then problem and specifically, in regards to manufacturing or QC these days. NONE of the ARB's I've run in the distant past have had this problem. Only the newer ones.

Upvote 0

Brute

Hooked
I have arb lockers in three different vehicles...all in Dynatrac axles. The ones in the jeeps have leaked in the rear, but never enough to prevent them from working (except one time in Brute when I burned a hole through an external air line). They engage immediately, and just as importantly they disengage immediately. I’m wondering if arb changed vendors for the seals recently...something as simple as an elastomer change in the o-ring supplier (I’m assuming some sort of viton elastomer due to heat) could be a possible cause. I’ve run into minute changes in o-ring construction before in the dive industry that required an entire production line of regulator series to be recalled...

As to the question of how much air pressure is required to engage the locker, I believe it’s 90 psi, which is relatively low...

Upvote 0

jab1719

Ugh, this thread isn’t exactly instilling confidence in me as I think ARB is the only current option for JT axles.

My 4x4 shop reached out to ARB about my leak and they claimed my locker was one of a batch that was produced with bad seals. They sent new ones. So far so good but who knows. This is my first experience with ARB.

Upvote 0

Brute

Hooked
My 4x4 shop reached out to ARB about my leak and they claimed my locker was one of a batch that was produced with bad seals. They sent new ones. So far so good but who knows. This is my first experience with ARB.

I’ve heard that...and forgot. Hopefully you won’t have any further problems..,

Upvote 0

Rst8rox

I'd like to add a question to this question...
What kind of air pressure is going to these failing seals? Does ARB include an inline regulator to limit the pressure?
This should be easy for ARB engineers, to fix. All heavy truck transmissions, (modern ones) use air piston, to shift fork, range shifters. But, they have air filters and regulators to limit maximum truck air, (120 PSI) and control what gets to the cylinder.
Sounds to me like ARB better get on this.

ARB told me a few years back, that their lockers activates with 80psi. They also said they maintain only 3-8psi @ the locker to hold in the locked position.

First was on a Hp44 that was beat for about 4 years then started leaking. It ended up being a bad seal housing. They covered it.

Second was just recently on my ECGS hp60 2018 model where the seal leaked to the point that the compressor would not shut off more than 10-20 seconds. However the locker never stopped working. I ended up destroying my ring & pinion that week. I sent the axle back to ECGS for warranty repair and they contacted ARB for parts and they replaced all the locker components/parts at no cost to me.

All in all, I love my ARB & they have always taken care of me.

I have often debated switching to a Yukon competition zip locker. They use the same seal housing as ARB on 60’s at-least, but if they fail/break for any reason the will revert to the locked position. I really like the idea of having true 4x4 to get off the trail if there is a failure. Anyone know if this is true or have run into any issues with them “Yukon comp air locker”?

Upvote 0

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

They said that three years ago when they replaced the one on my old silver Jeep.

Upvote 0
Top Bottom