Which Game Camera

Jsouder53

Hooked
Hey everyone, I know some of you might have some experience with game cameras. I am looking to get one for surveillance in my chicken run because I’m seeing some dog or fox shit. I’m having issues with my neighbors dogs lately and it would not shock me if it’s coming from them.

Which game camera would you suggest?

CalSgt

Hooked
Hey everyone, I know some of you might have some experience with game cameras. I am looking to get one for surveillance in my chicken run because I’m seeing some dog or fox shit. I’m having issues with my neighbors dogs lately and it would not shock me if it’s coming from them.

Fox shit and dog shit look totally different, google it. Might save you a few hundred bucks on game cameras.

Jsouder53

Hooked
Fox shit and dog shit look totally different, google it. Might save you a few hundred bucks on game cameras.
Thanks for the thought. I looked it up, might be coyote shit. I looked closer at what’s in my chicken run, it’s too big for the yappy ass dogs from next door.

WJCO

Meme King
I see this thread has had no action for about two years. I've spent months researching trail/game cams and finally pulled the trigger Friday so figured I'd update here. I went with the Tactacam Reveal X Pro.

It's a cellular camera (has it's own 'phone' plan through Tactacam). Sends photos right to you so you don't even have to go out and check the card. You can request instant send, daily once, twice, etc. Many custom settings on the app. You do not have to buy a plan if you just want to just go out and pull the sd card. Tactacam only works on Verizon and AT&T networks so if those services are shitty on that property, no need for the cellular plan. I bought three of these for different properties.

Also, any picture it sends, you can request a 10 second video of that picture. It costs extra after a certain amount I think. I opted to get unlimited pictures and videos. It's nine bucks a month for that.

As far as batteries, it takes 12AA. You can use cheap ones, lithium, etc. Tactacam also sells a rechargeable lithium pack. I bought two of those. They also make a solar panel with its own battery pack. I bought one of those.

715JL9sTtCL._AC_UF350,350_QL80_.jpg

A company hme also makes a solar 12v battery kit that works with these cameras and supposedly can last a year. I may pick one up.

12V-BoxSolorPanel_2642.png

Also, there are tons of review videos on YouTube and people will walk you through the app, features, settings, etc. Very user friendly.

Last edited:

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
I see this thread has had no action for about two years. I've spent months researching trail/game cams and finally pulled the trigger Friday so figured I'd update here. I went with the Tactacam Reveal X Pro.

It's a cellular camera (has it's own 'phone' plan through Tactacam). Sends photos right to you so you don't even have to go out and check the card. You can request instant send, daily once, twice, etc. Many custom settings on the app. You do not have to buy a plan if you just want to just go out and pull the sd card. Tactacam only works on Verizon and AT&T networks so if those services are shitty on that property, no need for the cellular plan. I bought three of these for different properties.

Also, any picture it sends, you can request a 10 second video of that picture. It costs extra after a certain amount I think. I opted to get unlimited pictures and videos. It's nine bucks a month for that.

As far as batteries, it takes 12AA. You can use cheap ones, lithium, etc. Tactacam also sells a rechargeable lithium pack. I bought two of those. They also make a solar panel with its own battery pack. I bought one of those.

View attachment 399399

A company hme also makes a solar 12v battery kit that works with these cameras and supposedly can last a year. I may pick one up.

View attachment 399400

Also, there are tons of review videos on YouTube and people will walk you through the app, features, settings, etc. Very user friendly.
Awesome! Thank you for posting this up!! I bought a game cam but it uses a chip but really want something like this instead. You mind telling how much it cost/s and where you got it from?

WJCO

Meme King

Did you ever buy one?

WJCO

Meme King
Awesome! Thank you for posting this up!! I bought a game cam but it uses a chip but really want something like this instead. You mind telling how much it cost/s and where you got it from?
Bass Pro Shops. 150 for the camera, comes with sim card. You can buy a bundle which comes with the camera, sim, sd card, and lithium battery pack for 200.00. I wanted two of those but store only had one. So I bought the stuff separately anyways. Solar panel was 60. Camera cell plan is 120 for the year (but 96 per year for additional cameras). You can also do it monthly. So if you try it for a month and don't like it, you can go back to the manual sd card.

Best part is all of the settings can be done on the camera or the app. So if you're 100 miles away, you can still change the camera settings without being there. And you can request an on demand photo at any time to make sure camera is there and working. Also has gps, so if someone steals it, you/police can find it. The app is cool too. I can see all my cameras on one screen and just tap the camera I want to view or mess with.

I've only had this one day and I'm impressed. Also it rained all night and rain didn't set it off. The camera I have with the solar panel above it only took one picture last night and it was a possum, but when I watched the video, rain could be seen pouring down off the panel too. So it's nice that I didn't get random rain pics all night.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Bass Pro Shops. 150 for the camera, comes with sim card. You can buy a bundle which comes with the camera, sim, sd card, and lithium battery pack for 200.00. I wanted two of those but store only had one. So I bought the stuff separately anyways. Solar panel was 60. Camera cell plan is 120 for the year (but 96 per year for additional cameras). You can also do it monthly. So if you try it for a month and don't like it, you can go back to the manual sd card.

Best part is all of the settings can be done on the camera or the app. So if you're 100 miles away, you can still change the camera settings without being there. And you can request an on demand photo at any time to make sure camera is there and working. Also has gps, so if someone steals it, you/police can find it. The app is cool too. I can see all my cameras on one screen and just tap the camera I want to view or mess with.

I've only had this one day and I'm impressed. Also it rained all night and rain didn't set it off. The camera I have with the solar panel above it only took one picture last night and it was a possum, but when I watched the video, rain could be seen pouring down off the panel too. So it's nice that I didn't get random rain pics all night.
I appreciate the info and glad to hear you were able to pick it up in store. I'm gonna have to give my shop a look now (y)

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member

So, just to verify, you need the rechargeable lithium battery pack in order to make it work with the solar panel, correct? Also, is there a reason why the solar panel you can get with the Tactacam isn't good enough? As in, why you would need the HME one?

WJCO

Meme King
So, just to verify, you need the rechargeable lithium battery pack in order to make it work with the solar panel, correct? Also, is there a reason why the solar panel you can get with the Tactacam isn't good enough? As in, why you would need the HME one?
Solar panel has it's own lithium battery pack inside of it. You could run the camera with the solar panel and no batteries inside the camera itself. My camera with the solar panel has cheap alkaline batteries inside the camera itself just as a backup in case it's cloudy for days at a time and the solar pack doesn't recharge.

The solar panel should work just fine. Also on the app, you can see the battery life for each camera which is very cool.

The HME one has a 12v rechargeable battery in it. Supposedly this lasts a very long time. And the 12v battery is like 20 bucks when you have to replace it which is pretty cheap for that long of battery life.

I'll keep you up to date on my solar one as I own it longer.

Top Bottom