Which fire extinguisher would you use?

jeeeep

Hooked
I have a couple of Element E100 extinguishers and also carry the traditional $20 Kidde multi purpose extinguisher

Since I have lots of time to over think things lol, I'm wondering how many of you would use your more expensive fire extinguisher vs a Kidde on a strangers burning vehicle.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Ideally, it's best to carry 2 extinguishers. BC is best for an engine fire and ABC is good for all around stuff.

Closest one. Fuck the cost. I don’t carry a cheaper tow strap to help strangers.
Also if the fire isn’t just the cigarette lighter popping out and landing in fabric, it probably won’t be out with just one auto sized extinguisher.

Ddays

Hooked
Regardless of which one you carry it's even more important WHERE you carry it. Strapped to the back of your roll bar in the cargo area is totally worthless. Keep it up front so its easy to grab and use.

Edit: LOL, that's my review and pic on Amazon at the very top. I forgot I did one.

jeeeep

Hooked
Regardless of which one you carry it's even more important WHERE you carry it. Strapped to the back of your roll bar in the cargo area is totally worthless. Keep it up front so its easy to grab and use.

Edit: LOL, that's my review and pic on Amazon at the very top. I forgot I did one.
this is why I like the Element, easy to mount anywhere. Only thing I don't like it once it's activated, there is no stopping it which is why I carry the other..

I like the cleanliness of the H3 Halguard, expensive but better for engine fires.

DaJudge

I carry a Halon one that I got free (they were replacing them at work). Bought a quick release mount for it online. Ddays makes a good point. Make sure you mount in a place where it won't have anything in the way when you need it.

-AINOKEA-

Hooked
I carry a Halon one that I got free (they were replacing them at work). Bought a quick release mount for it online. Ddays makes a good point. Make sure you mount in a place where it won't have anything in the way when you need it.
Get rid of that shit asap. Halon will ruin your life faster than any fire if it gets in your lungs. Saw it happen first hand on the Flightline.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
1- Halon can kill you
2- I carry 1 small kiddie fire extinguisher. If that can’t put the fire out, let the Jeep burn. It’s not worth saving at that point.
3-If you take a flop, take the rest of the shit you’re already carrying and break your back window if it hasn’t broken already. And walk out.

Last edited:

DaJudge

Yes, I know Halon can kill you, so can a lot of other things. However, there is zero point in putting out a fire in the Jeep and destroying the wiring and electronics. Might as well let it burn.
Instead of telling us useless information, how about suggesting one that won't destroy the electrics that isn't dangerous?

Yes, I know Halon can kill you, so can a lot of other things. However, there is zero point in putting out a fire in the Jeep and destroying the wiring and electronics. Might as well let it burn.
Instead of telling us useless information, how about suggesting one that won't destroy the electrics that isn't dangerous?

lol
Letting people know the dangers of Halon isn’t exactly useless.
but since we are talking about uselessness and death... I find ALL compact fire extinguishers to be useless for vehicle fires and they should only be used to put fires out on humans if needed. Most likely the vehicle is done and not savable if even a small fire starts anyway.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Most likely the vehicle is done and not savable if even a small fire starts anyway.
I think the key words are "most likely". From what I've seen, whether or not a fire extinguisher can help depends on how "small" the fire is and what's causing it. I've personally seen and used fire extinguishers to put out engine fires right when they've gotten started on several occasions now and even on Moby. It think it's important to understand how to use them too. Most people just blast away and use up the bottle before they can figure out what's really going on. It is also the reason why I carry a BC as ABC will ruin an engine. But yes, most of the time, by the time the fire is going, it's way too late.

Murphyfish

Caught the Bug
My eyes rolled so hard on this reply I got a good look at my own ass.
A lot of things can kill you, but the topic on hand is fire extinguishers. Not shark attacks, not a plane crash, not a million things that can kill you. Just fire extinguishers.
Point number 2, you repeated exactly what I said.
We aren’t all as experienced as Eddie here. I’m certainly not. I’m not going to keyboard warrior you either. My life is better than that. I’ll just say to stay on topic. Don’t say someone’s advice is useless and then repeat 2 of their points.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Top Bottom