Which body mounted tire carrier do you all like best and why?

MAG00

Which body mounted tire carrier do you all like best and why? I have looked at the Genright, Poison Spyder, Evo, and others. I see that the Genright carrier has the option to add a swing lock on it which I really like if you are parked on a side hill or something.

My JCR rear bumper with their bumper mounted swing out tire carrier as that feature and personally I really like it to lock open and not worry about it swinging back on you.

I'd like to be able to run a couple of rotopax of fuel and/or water as well. So there is that added weight to my already heavy spare (37" Nitto Trail Grapplers on Spiderlock Wheels so).

Would appreciate your feedback.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Being that a lock is important to you, I think you've answered your own question. Gen Right it is.

MAG00

Being that a lock is important to you, I think you've answered your own question. Gen Right it is.
@wayoflife Yea, I like that it is aluminum for weight, but wonder about weight capacity. They state it's rated for 160 lbs. With that in mind...the 37" Nitto Trail Grappler is noted to be 84.75 lbs and the Spyderlock Wheel is about 45 lbs. So my spare is about 130 lbs. Gas is about 6 lbs per gallon so 12 lbs for 2 gal in a rotopax container. Two rotopax would put it at 24 lbs of just fuel. (85+45+12+12=154 lbs) So seems kind of close. Thoughts?

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
@wayoflife Yea, I like that it is aluminum for weight, but wonder about weight capacity. They state it's rated for 160 lbs. With that in mind...the 37" Nitto Trail Grappler is noted to be 84.75 lbs and the Spyderlock Wheel is about 45 lbs. So my spare is about 130 lbs. Gas is about 6 lbs per gallon so 12 lbs for 2 gal in a rotopax container. Two rotopax would put it at 24 lbs of just fuel. (85+45+12+12=154 lbs) So seems kind of close. Thoughts?
I'm just curious, do you really need to being carrying extra gas? I mean, have you ever really needed it? Out in Nevada, the lack of towns with gas is real and the distances between them is significant and yet, with planning, I have never 'needed' to carry extra gas. That is not to say that I don't own rotopax or don't purposefully plan trips where I skip gas stops but aside from that, I've never 'needed' it and rarely carry them with me.

MAG00

I'm just curious, do you really need to being carrying extra gas? I mean, have you ever really needed it? Out in Nevada, the lack of towns with gas is real and the distances between them is significant and yet, with planning, I have never 'needed' to carry extra gas. That is not to say that I don't own rotopax or don't purposefully plan trips where I skip gas stops but aside from that, I've never 'needed' it and rarely carry them with me.
Just thought it may be a good idea since running a 6.2 LS swap so gas mileage isn't exactly high. Plud would like the ability to carry extra gear not just gas if wanting to.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
Just thought it may be a good idea since running a 6.2 LS swap so gas mileage isn't exactly high. Plud would like the ability to carry extra gear not just gas if wanting to.
Yeah, running a 6.2L LT under the hood of our JK too. Still, gas has never been something I've felt that I 'needed' to carry but hey, it was just a question. That said, not sure what to tell you other than I've carried a 20" 40x15.50 Nitto Mud Grappler on my EVO tire carrier and the total weight on that was 187 lbs. Never had an issue but it didn't have a lock.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I’ve been very pleased with the EVO carrier.. and never once thought I need a lock… Like Overlander said, just park so that it swings out easy and stays out. There of course has been a handful of times where I have to muscle it open and throw a knee up to hold it real quick… but thats never been a big deal. I only have 35 TG’s on ATX Slabs though.

If you are within the rated specifications then check the warranty to see if the company stands behind its product and so they will take care of it. Most of the time you are likely not carrying all that gas and other extra weight.

Best way to avoid needing a lock, don’t open it on a hill. Or it will lock out when the Johnny joint his the mount.
I do this exact thing when on a hill and really I've never had an issue or ever thought "I wish it had a lock". But if that's something you really want than go with the Genright.

I know a lot of people really get caught up in the "weight savings" thing but in my opinion and especially with you running an LS, I wouldn't even be worried about it. I will also say that I have slammed the jeep down on the EVO carrier several times coming off big ledges and can say it can take a beating. Not saying the Genright Aluminum one can't, I just don't have the personal experience with it.

Ddays

Hooked
East fix for the EVO carrier is to make your own stay with a limit strap. Make an L bracket from heavy angle (Min 1/4" thick) and fasten to the skin. before you paint the carrier drill the vertical piece between the two tubes of the carrier for a bolt hole. Measure for the appropriate limit strap & order from PRP, TMR, etc. Done. Easy limiter.
I made one like this for mine because Western Pa is nothing BUT hills everywhere.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I’ve been very pleased with the EVO carrier.. and never once thought I need a lock… Like Overlander said, just park so that it swings out easy and stays out. There of course has been a handful of times where I have to muscle it open and throw a knee up to hold it real quick… but thats never been a big deal. I only have 35 TG’s on ATX Slabs though.
I think he is talking about the swing carrier not the tailgate version.

If the OP does mean tailgate mounted then I second the EVO one.

I run it with 35s as well and the thing is SOLID. Also among being the best looking in my opinion it's really easy to operate and stays in whatever spot I swing it to no matter where I'm parked.

If he does mean the quarter panel mounted one I've heard all good things about both the EVO and Genright ones. I personally haven't run anything Genright so I can't speak for them, but I can definitely back EVO's build quality.

Top Bottom